FU Rent Increase

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
An extra $100 a month. No fucking way. And moving will totally suck since I like my comfort level.

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
That's rough. Moving fucking sucks. It's also why I will do my best to avoid living in an apartment ever.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Depending on how much your rent is, that does sound like a pretty steep increase.

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
Sep 27, 2006
staten
Depending on how much your rent is, that does sound like a pretty steep increase.

qft!

In our building its a percentage every year or two depending on how long your lease is.... ours went up 40 bucks a month for one year or 60 a month for two years (the benefit of that is that you are cemented in for the extra 20 while everyone else gets hit for like another 40+)

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
fuck renting look into buying a place, even owning a shitty condo or trailer is better than paying rent..

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I'd mention what my rent is but you'd all hate me more than you already do.

Razor Roman

Save the USH!
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
I hope I don't get his with a big increase this spring when my lease is up. Shouldn't be too bad cause my heat and hot water are electric and I pay them myself, so the landlord can't really hit us on energy costs.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
It's an increase of well over 10%. And my lease ends at the end of next month so I'm going to be spending the next couple of days researching apartments. I just don't know if the total I'm going to spend (the month with two apartments + moving costs) is going to be equal or greater than if I just stay put.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
That's not a bad idea, it can't hurt to offer half. Noone wants to lose a tenant that isn't a problem and take a chance on an unknown.
A swing & a miss! While a good answer, you missed the obligatory "chew down" joke. linglor

But JackJack is correct. Landlords hate vacancies. However, if you are in a building/complex that has a wait list, or very very few vacant apartments, you might not get that big of a break.

Zona992006

New Wackbag
Jan 26, 2007
fuck renting look into buying a place, even owning a shitty condo or trailer is better than paying rent..
I rented the entire time I was in the service....20 years..I really dont want to do the math on how much money I threw away on rent..I love paying a mortgage now and no matter what, I will never pay rent again. If I down size, its a condo I will be a goin...(but I like my house).

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
It's been proven that buying a house doesn't save you money over renting, and these days it's not even a sure thing that property values will appreciate.

It's a lifestyle choice, most people prefer to have a place they call their own. I prefer to have someone responsible for things if my toilet breaks or my pipes burst. Then there's property taxes. I've done the home ownership thing before, and can't say I liked it a bit. Maybe if my kid lived with me full time and I was married and all that crap I'd feel differently, but there is no reason for a single guy to own a home unless he really likes working on stuff and paying taxes.

Philly loser

Wackbag Elder Statesman
Oct 12, 2002
Limerick, Pa

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
It's been proven that buying a house doesn't save you money over renting, and these days it's not even a sure thing that property values will appreciate.

It's a lifestyle choice, most people prefer to have a place they call their own. I prefer to have someone responsible for things if my toilet breaks or my pipes burst. Then there's property taxes. I've done the home ownership thing before, and can't say I liked it a bit. Maybe if my kid lived with me full time and I was married and all that crap I'd feel differently, but there is no reason for a single guy to own a home unless he really likes working on stuff and paying taxes.
Don, please show me articles that prove that across the board. Yes, renting *might* be better for some, but not everyone.

And anyone that thinks they aren't paying property taxes when they rent, I have one question for you: What do you think your rent pays for? I'll give you the answer: It covers the property owner's mortgage (if there is one), the cost to maintain the property, cover the property taxes, and if he's lucky, some profit for the bank account.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Don, please show me articles that prove that across the board. Yes, renting *might* be better for some, but not everyone.
Nothing is across the board of course.

And anyone that thinks they aren't paying property taxes when they rent, I have one question for you: What do you think your rent pays for? I'll give you the answer: It covers the property owner's mortgage (if there is one), the cost to maintain the property, cover the property taxes, and if he's lucky, some profit for the bank account.
I know my rent pays the taxes, but it sure is nice not to get that big bill at the end of the year.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
I don't get a bill at the end of the year. My mortgage requires a tax escrow, so I'm in total denial about how much NJ is ****** me. :)