FU Stupid Volunteer EMS and Fire people.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
OK, first let me qualify..I am a volunteer EMT and Firefighter myself. I work for a paid ambulance as well.
Last night there was an MVA at a lakeside community. Police arrive on scene and reports wires down, appears driver has fled the scene. Fire capt. shows up and decides to radio a call for a full box MVA with possible aquatic rescue, but no patient. (All Fire/Vehicle rescue/BLS/ALS/Water Rescue/ Helicopter on standby) Police report that the person living in the house across the street stated they heard the crash and went to see what happened. Homeowner stated they saw another car stop at crash site, open the rear left passenger door, and then speed off. Local police reported that they had a DUI stop about 5 miles away..with the apparent owner of the vehicle in the accident in the back seat of the stopped car... Ok, fire captain on scene decided a full search of the area including waterfront was in order. 40 minutes goes by and the omidon still has nary a patient. Finally, they release us from the scene..because apparently there was no patient. (DUMMY! the local police already had him in custody..this isn't Mary Jo Kopeckne!)

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
So somebody wasted 40 minutes of your time at work? Oh the humanity.:action-sm
No, somebody wasted resources. Would you take an entire fire company out of service for a wild goose chase that lasted 2 hours Cost: 7,500 ? A water rescue team that costs 1000 to roll, more to put in the water? A Helicopter evac that costs 16,000 to put on the tarmac, more fly, more to transport? A paramedic truck that costs 6000 once on scene, more once there is a patient and drugs are administered?? For a patient THAT WAS NOT THERE????
Guess who pays??? YOU DO! Volunteer and paid companies get $$$$ from your insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, and taxes.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Thankfully, most aren't that stupid.
I agree. But there are some that see it as "Helping the company" When they are really marking us as assholes. Let alone the loss of proper response and resources to a real emergency they were first due to because they were too busy chasing a phantom. Would you want to live with the knowledge that someone died because you were sitting on scene of a non call, looking for someone who wasn't there? Would you try to explain that to the family?

Fustercluck

Jul 25, 2005
FEMA Region 9
No, somebody wasted resources. Would you take an entire fire company out of service for a wild goose chase that lasted 2 hours Cost: 7,500 ? A water rescue team that costs 1000 to roll, more to put in the water? A Helicopter evac that costs 16,000 to put on the tarmac, more fly, more to transport? A paramedic truck that costs 6000 once on scene, more once there is a patient and drugs are administered?? For a patient THAT WAS NOT THERE????
Guess who pays??? YOU DO! Volunteer and paid companies get $$$$ from your insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, and taxes.
That's the American Way. If we are efficient then the communist win

poppAwoody

C colon enter
May 23, 2006
LI, New York
volunteer fire people are typically the leaders of the short bus. I'd consider them not too accomplished in "real" life to need to lead the jolly volly world. Anyhow, typically the more smarts you have the less recognized you are in those places. They should be abolished and a paid system put in. I'm tired of seeing tax payer funded moster SUV's driving these lazy fucks to work in the city from long island.

MetalBender

I like fistables.
Dec 20, 2009
New Orleans....Iowa
How does a volunteer department get to access these funds? Here there is no insurance, Medicare or Medicaid that pays anything to volunteer services only taxes and donations. If you have information on how to get these other sources of funding please share because volunteer services is all we have for fire departments.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
OK, first let me qualify..I am a volunteer EMT and Firefighter myself. I work for a paid ambulance as well.
Last night there was an MVA at a lakeside community. Police arrive on scene and reports wires down, appears driver has fled the scene. Fire capt. shows up and decides to radio a call for a full box MVA with possible aquatic rescue, but no patient. (All Fire/Vehicle rescue/BLS/ALS/Water Rescue/ Helicopter on standby) Police report that the person living in the house across the street stated they heard the crash and went to see what happened. Homeowner stated they saw another car stop at crash site, open the rear left passenger door, and then speed off. Local police reported that they had a DUI stop about 5 miles away..with the apparent owner of the vehicle in the accident in the back seat of the stopped car... Ok, fire captain on scene decided a full search of the area including waterfront was in order. 40 minutes goes by and the omidon still has nary a patient. Finally, they release us from the scene..because apparently there was no patient. (DUMMY! the local police already had him in custody..this isn't Mary Jo Kopeckne!)
Welcome to the redundant department of redundancy department. You know it was a CYA.. especially with the Zimm bullshit. I understand why your pissed.

The fact that pd cat keep their comm straight is an issue.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
How does a volunteer department get to access these funds? Here there is no insurance, Medicare or Medicaid that pays anything to volunteer services only taxes and donations. If you have information on how to get these other sources of funding please share because volunteer services is all we have for fire departments.
Wish I knew, it was something new to me about 3 years ago. It is my understanding it is a deregulation in the laws. Some volunteer fire departments sell "memberships" for about 600- 1200 depending on the company. Basically it is a "you don't pay if you have a fire" insurance. I think the practice is sketchy if you ask me. Lemme see if I can get more info for you.

steve500

Oct 20, 2008
35,000 ft
Holy hell, $16,000 for a helicopter?? That's about what it costs to fly a 737 from SFO to JFK

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Welcome to the redundant department of redundancy department. You know it was a CYA.. especially with the Zimm bullshit. I understand why your pissed.

The fact that pd cat keep their comm straight is an issue.
No, it was an asshole of a fire officer..PD can't override, just get aggravated at said person. The officer on scene was a statie and was considerably pissed...to the point of wanting to cite asshat for misusing resources. He did cite him because dummy parked his truck 90 degrees across the street approx 10 feet from the accident where the "live wires" were down.

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
I live 1.5 blocks from a hospital. Everytime I hear a helicopter fly over me I wonder what 95 year old exurban rich cunt is getting some special treatment and have video game fantasies about rocket propelled grenades.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
I live 1.5 blocks from a hospital. Everytime I hear a helicopter fly over me I wonder what 95 year old exurban rich cunt is getting some special treatment and have video game fantasies about rocket propelled grenades.
Being able to pay is not a factor. Most of the time it is children or teens that get flown.

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
Being able to pay is not a factor. Most of the time it is children or teens that get flown.
Wow, that's really crazy. I always assumed they were rich somehow.

They're loud, I'll tell you that much.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Wow, that's really crazy. I always assumed they were rich somehow.

They're loud, I'll tell you that much.
No, it is usually people that are really fucked up in an accident or fire.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
They use Lifeflight a lot around here due to the layout of the roads around here... basically half the time you can't get there from here.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Oh, I assure you...all volunteer companies get paid for almost every call, at least here. I just had billings and collection added to my responsibility as an officer.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Bitch bitch bitch, that's all you people do.

Struggling paramedics called to house 650 TIMES in A YEAR sparks calls for court action
STRETCHED ambulance crews have been called out 650 times to ONE house in just 12 months.
Published: 16:02, Sat, January 3, 2015
By Helen Barratt
PA

Selly Oak MP Steve McCabe has called for action over calls which put genuine cases at risk
Lives are being put at risk by time wasters calling out paramedics, says Labour MP Steve McCabe who has demanded the ambulance service must take action.

Only 11 of the 653 callouts to the address in Shard End, Birmingham, had actually resulted in anyone being taken to hospital, despite 400 being described as being for “someone generally unwell”. It means paramedics were called on average nearly TWICE A DAY.

In one shameful incident paramedics rushed to the house as the resident had a HEADACHE.

Selly Oak MP Steve McCabe wants court action against prolific time wasters after it was revealed the West Midlands Ambulance Service was called out a scandalous 5,000 times to just 30 addresses.

He said: “Someone is going to die while hard-pressed ambulance services are having their time wasted on these kind of callouts - that simply isn't acceptable."

He called for a reporting and monitoring system which followed up on offending callers.

He added: "Where calls might simply be regarded as malicious there should be a police warning, followed by a caution and prosecution.

ALAMY

The West Midlands Ambulance Service was called 5,000 times to just 30 addresses in a year
Someone is going to die while hard-pressed ambulance services are having their time wasted on these kind of callouts

Steve McCabe MP

"I am going to put down a parliamentary question as to whether the ambulance service is considering providing guidance to patients about what is acceptable.

"We ought to make clear that those who breach that guidance without good reason and on a regular basis can expect the law to come down on them.

"If it is due to their mental health, they must be made to realise that a failure to accept help will result in a prosecution.”

Another property in the city's Selly Oak area was visited on 260 occasions, while one in Stourbridge, in West Midlands, raised the alarm 231 times for falls.

Calls were made from a property in Oswestry 105 times with only four resulting in a trip to hospital.

A spokesman for West Midlands Ambulance Service said the trust worked with local health officials and social services to create care packages for prolific callers, which had resulted in a reduction in emergency calls.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/55...aramedics-called-to-house-650-TIMES-in-A-YEAR

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
If the fire captain wasn't absolutely sure the only person involved was the one at the DUI stop, he probably did the right thing in this new climate. If there had been another person involved and they weren't found immediately, the suits and settlements would make that emergency response cost look like peanuts.
So, now he looks like he overdid it, but that will be forgotten soon.. If it went the other way careers would be lost.
As more and better rescue resources are made available. the expectation is they will be used.