FU to classic rock stations and the asshats who listen to them

Fendbass22

I know some of you are going to be pissed and say...come on man, thats when music was good. I do agree with you, but you 40 and 50 somethings - its time to move on. I don't understand how people can listen to the same music for the last 20-40 years. HOW can you do it? All the guys I work with listen to these same two classic rock stations all night long. I worked 4 nights straight and noticed they play the same fucking Aerosmith, Guns and Roses and Doobie brothers songs night after night.

I can't wait until the baby boomers wake up and all these rock stations are forced to change formats.

If BAB isn't on at work, it's easy listening. Pick your poison.

Salem

Midgets = funny
I dunno about this one. But I have to say this. Why is it that after 30 years of playing this music they still find some way to play songs that suck. 30 years ago when it came out it sucked. Its sucks now. It will suck next year. Why do they still play it? How can these people go from jefferson starship to rod stewart ( in my opinion is about as much rock as micheal bolton is) to Zeplin? I do listen to teh classic rock stations here and there but in thereoy it is repetitive. I mean there cant be any "new" classics right? Just the nature of the beast I guess.

Fendbass22

How can these people go from jefferson starship to rod stewart ( in my opinion is about as much rock as micheal bolton is) to Zeplin?
I guess thats a big point I forgot to make. I can't understand that either.

I've hated classic rock all my life until the last few years. I'm getting into Pink Floyd for the first time in my life and I've turned the channel on them for the last 30 years every time one of their songs came on. It's weird. I think that the new popular artists these days are totally devoid of musical talent. You can't say the same about the classic rock groups. Love them or hate them they definitely could play. I hate Jethro Tull's music with a passion but they are very talented.

pure_waves

© Steven Carr Industries, 2014. Grrrrrrrr
When i was living in Maryland I noticed that no matter what time of day it was, there was always a Heart song on local rock radio stations :icon_eek:

just doesnt pay to listen for an hour hoping to hear 1 decent song and getting 20 mins of fucking commercials, heart, kansas and genesis. blech.

N.Y. Johnny

Fake Twitter Friend
THE ROCK OF (INSERT TOWN NAME HERE) ...Ughh. I hate some of these stations down here in Texas, they are absolutely the worst ever programmed, it doesn't get any worse than a few down here playing the same Lynyrd Skynrd, Aerosmith, AC DC, and Scorpions over and over. Then they mix in some Nirvana and some NU Metal shit. Who listens to Limp Bizkit in 2007?

BGrant

It doesn't help matters when the 'classic' rock stations play pretty much the same ten songs in constant rotation, day in day out, sort of an audio version of Chinese water torture. When the station here in NYC that O & A are still on switched back to playing rock, it was the same kind of repetitive rotation. At least they could have had some of the other shows that were on since day one have a final broadcast to say goodbye to their fans. I wasn't a listener to the Radio Chick's show, but it would have been the decent thing to do.

PSYCHOMARKFAN

A few years ago, a guy from Q104 here in NYC did a promo event at Yer Man's Irish Pub and i got into a heated discussion over the fact that i would listen to them at work (because i can't get the XM there ) and i told them how the station would play the same Billy Joel song, same Led Zeppelin song, same Springsteen song like clockwork at the same time every day in the same hour and i told him that i understood about rotation and how a song HAS to be played at that time each day no matter WHAT the listeners might actually WANT to hear. But, since he wasn't really an "On Air" person he was really like an intern so he tried to give a free pass to see "the south park movie" and i told him i already saw it and told him "this is why satellite radio has taken off." Enough of the repetition....

Now, that "Free FM has become K-Rock again they're going back to the same tired old schtick with the rotation but THIS time it's with the same Nirvana song, same lame Bon Jovi song(uh, as opposed to a great bon jovi song) of course it's only the songs that got radio airplay and NOT the more obscure tracks from the cd's which would at least keep us interested.

That's my opinion....:action-sm

LiddyRules

I Think I'll Eat An Apple
Now, that "Free FM has become K-Rock again they're going back to the same tired old schtick with the rotation but THIS time it's with the same Nirvana song, same lame Bon Jovi song(uh, as opposed to a great bon jovi song) of course it's only the songs that got radio airplay and NOT the more obscure tracks from the cd's which would at least keep us interested.

That's my opinion....:action-sm
I think Opie was the only person acting like KROCK was going to be terrestrial radio's savior. We all knew the shit that was about to come upon us.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Fend, it's called "heavy rotation." They take the "popular" songs and play them a lot because that's what people like. Marketing research shows that people only listen for a few minutes at a time, and therefore rarely notice the heavy rotation. People that listen at work are more prone to noticing it.

Every station does it, not just classic rock. I'm sure you'd hear the same thing on Kcrap

I'd rather listen to 50s/60s oldies and I'm 22. They just don't get old. I'm burned out on the classic rock. Well, the big hits anyway.

Whenever I go back down to Amsterdam, it's always Q 103.5 and 103.9. Formerly really good active rock radio formats in the Capital Region now Classic roch drech. But whenever I go back up to Plattsburgh, I am fortunate for DAB radio. I think in some of the more major markets, active rock radio is now being switched to classic rock b/c of the lame selection of rock today. I will gladly choose Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd over Linkin Park and Seether anyday of the week.

Up here, radio is still appreciated. I am fortunate enough to be in an area of a bunch of electic formats. From Jazz to Rap, College, Modern, and yes Classic, I will never go unhappy. Plus I have CD's, Records, and I Pods to keep myself occupied.

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
Great thread, I feel the same way!!!

I bounce between 104.3 and 105.5 during the day (I work for cable so I drive around all day in a van) and let me tell you, I am SOOOO SICK AND TIRED of hearing the same fucking classic rock songs day in and day out over and over and over again. Twice in a row, 104.3 and 105.5 were playing the SAME song at the SAME EXACT time!!!! WDHA here in NJ is the worst, all they do between songs is keep talking about how cool they are and the DJs have to keep repeating the call letters like we're idiots and don't know we are listening to "DHA".
Also, for all you pests who hate listening to Holes, avoid 'Jim and Suzanne in the Morning' on DHA...she's the holiest hole who ever holed. All she does is interject crap while Jim talks ("really?" "hmmmmm" "OK" "Oh, you..") etc etc. I can't stand her!!! :mad4:

I bounce between 104.3 and 105.5 during the day (I work for cable so I drive around all day in a van) and let me tell you, I am SOOOO SICK AND TIRED of hearing the same fucking classic rock songs day in and day out over and over and over again. Twice in a row, 104.3 and 105.5 were playing the SAME song at the SAME EXACT time!!!! WDHA here in NJ is the worst, all they do between songs is keep talking about how cool they are and the DJs have to keep repeating the call letters like we're idiots and don't know we are listening to "DHA".
Also, for all you pests who hate listening to Holes, avoid 'Jim and Suzanne in the Morning' on DHA...she's the holiest hole who ever holed. All she does is interject crap while Jim talks ("really?" "hmmmmm" "OK" "Oh, you..") etc etc. I can't stand her!!! :mad4:
Thank God, i can't pick up 'DHA over here. I get douchechills enough from Q104.3 when i'm at work, since by the time i finish doing most of my work the bbboys are over so it goes to the Q for a while then back to K-rock. Considering K-Rock will play the same Aerosmith songs, along with Pink Floyd and Zeppelin just like Q104.

IWhy is it that after 30 years of playing this music they still find some way to play songs that suck. 30 years ago when it came out it sucked. Its sucks now. It will suck next year. Why do they still play it?.
:clap: Bravo sir

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
I disagree....it's not that all the songs suck, it's just that we've heard them played to death endlessly for years. For example I love Aerosmith, but hello, they DO have other songs that aren't called "Dream On", "Sweet Emotion" or "Dude Looks Like a Lady". Same for Ozzy....how about playing something other than 'Crazy Train'? Rush?....you only hear 'Tom Sawyer', 'Spirit of Radio', or maybe 'Limelight'. If I never hear anything from the Steve Miller Band ever again I'll die happy.

Also, the stations around here do the same hacky bits like "Guess the song from this short clip and we'll give you a prize" and look out, WHDA has VanZilla out there looking for your DHA bumperstickers! So remember, if a mysterious dark van is following you, make sure you pull over for it! You may win a prize! Or get brutally robbed and murdered! Whichever! :)

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
I disagree....it's not that all the songs suck, it's just that we've heard them played to death endlessly for years. For example I love Aerosmith, but hello, they DO have other songs that aren't called "Dream On", "Sweet Emotion" or "Dude Looks Like a Lady". Same for Ozzy....how about playing something other than 'Crazy Train'? Rush?....you only hear 'Tom Sawyer', 'Spirit of Radio', or maybe 'Limelight'. If I never hear anything from the Steve Miller Band ever again I'll die happy.
Exactly. That's why I'm so glad I got a nice MP3 player. The playlists on radio
stations sucks ass. I like classic rock but I go for the stuff you don't hear
played on the radio all the time.

Exactly. That's why I'm so glad I got a nice MP3 player. The playlists on radio
stations sucks ass. I like classic rock but I go for the stuff you don't hear
played on the radio all the time.

Same here. I originally got XM for the music (never heard of O&A). But their playlists aren't much better than regular FM.

So I bring a few CD's with me in the car, or I plug in my Zen.

bethm1b

person of interest
Move on to what exactly? Music has gotten progressivly worse and worse. When I'm forced to listen to the radio it's classiuc rock. So insert the name of the shit artist you listen to and f them and u2.

I think 2006 was the best year for music in a long time. has nothing to do with the trends or being too cool for the room it's just it's not 1970 anymore and there's not going to be anything else new anymore. Everything's been done.

The only way to maintain sanity is by opening yourself to new and different stuff. I know you may be a fan of whatever it is, but I know I get bored way too damn easily and have to look for new stuff all the time. And I hit bonus in 2006.

Turfmower

I have been listing to K rock for last few weeks. They play the same 40 songs over and over, It doesn't mater if it classic rock, or the new stuff Fm play list are way too shallow. Fm radio can learn a leason from Than & Sam they play both old and new music. Maybe one day Xm will make a channel Music of 202. Between all the shows they play some good music. Black Earl picks some good tracks for Ron and Fez too.

I think 2006 was the best year for music in a long time. has nothing to do with the trends or being too cool for the room it's just it's not 1970 anymore and there's not going to be anything else new anymore. Everything's been done.

The only way to maintain sanity is by opening yourself to new and different stuff. I know you may be a fan of whatever it is, but I know I get bored way too damn easily and have to look for new stuff all the time. And I hit bonus in 2006.
Such as?

Not being a dick, I am looking for some new stuff.

Such as?

Not being a dick, I am looking for some new stuff.
Well I've found the sound I was looking for would never be brought back by the big labels so I go indie now. Which I know makes most people here throw up, but not all indie bands are Death Cab For Cutie. There are some decent harder hitting bands. Check the labels. Matador, Sub Pop are the bigger ones. Interpol left Matador so right now there's a lot of new bands rushing to fill that void.

I really hate to toss names out, because it's not my taste that's important. But searching the labels is the best way to find new stuff.