FU to every business in this city

Dec 3, 2005
You put ads in the paper or in your display window saying NOW HIRING and I fill out applications for you all the time and none of you ever fucking call me. I want a job so I don't lose my sanity sitting home all day and to have money but you douches don't want me. You hire people still in high school instead that don't last 6 months. FUCK YOU.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
I know I'm going to sound like "mom", but umm....besides looking at the kids they're hiring as being in high school vs you who are not, is there anything else different about them? Like, how were they dressed when they went in to fill out the application & interview - do they look like they can start working that very minute or do they look like they were hanging out on the street corner with their friends? Maybe ask one of the prospective employers why they didn't hire you - I'm sure you're going to be told that it's the way you look.

Even McDonald's has requirements for how their employees must look.

Dec 3, 2005
Small town rather, Bay City. We're between Houston and Galveston.

I know I'm going to sound like "mom", but umm....besides looking at the kids they're hiring as being in high school vs you who are not, is there anything else different about them? Like, how were they dressed when they went in to fill out the application & interview - do they look like they can start working that very minute or do they look like they were hanging out on the street corner with their friends? Maybe ask one of the prospective employers why they didn't hire you - I'm sure you're going to be told that it's the way you look.

Even McDonald's has requirements for how their employees must look.
I've tried to be good about that. I usually dress nice when I go turn in applications. It's just usually an employee there and they say thank you and put it wherever and I never hear from them. Maybe I should start calling them.

Myspace picture is old, I got one in July, much more presentable.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
I've tried to be good about that. I usually dress nice when I go turn in applications. It's just usually an employee there and they say thank you and put it wherever and I never hear from them. Maybe I should start calling them.
Ask to speak with a manager - don't just give it to an employee .. there's a possibility the people who are getting hired are friends of said employees...your application is probably going into what is known as the rectangular file without a manager/owner ever seeing it. The rectangular file, in case you didn't know, is the garbage pail. If you do have to leave it with an employee, make sure that you get that person's name - first & last since there might be more than one Lisa (just a name) working in the store.

And yes, definitely follow up with a phone call or even another appearance at the store. Make sure that if you did leave it, you identify yourself to the manager/owner as the person who left an application with Lisa Smith (again, just a name). This way, if Lisa didn't give him the application, the manager can always ask her where it is, especially if he's impressed with your appearance/phone manner.

If you're in school, go to the employment office at the college and see if you can get something through there.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Deftera said:
Definitely call them. Back when I first tried to get a job in a car dealership,
all I got was "we'll call you" stuff. Then I started calling back and asking for
the manager and pushing for an interview and I got hired quickly because
he liked that I was eager to work and took the initiative to call him.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
You've gotta follow up with people.. show persistence & interest. Chances are that some of these guys are overwhelmed with applicants & you'll just simply need to find a way to stand out.

HateMyName

Functioning Psychotic
Oct 15, 2004
DC suburbs
(ok, I'm just repeating other posters but still) Call them.
Back when Blockbuster Video was relavent, I applied for a job there and didn't hear anything. Went back 4 days later to follow up, turns out my application had been lost. Filled out a new one that day. Went back a few days later to bug them again and and got hired. Months later the manager told me that she hired me because I kept coming back.

If it's a low level job with high turnover (as you said, they hire kids that quit after a few months), odds are the person hiring isn't going to invest that much time into a new hire. He might just pick the top resume off the pile kind of thing. Stopping by is the best, but even calling when you don't hear from them puts you back on their radar and gives them an opportunity to decide that you're the one they want for the job.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
Yeah, apparently you have to be extremely obese and Mexican.
Yeah, I've noticed that - I think they're eating too many of those Beega Macs & fren fry

But seriously, they do have a dress code that extends to the length of a guy's hair. I think they've recently updated the manual but at one time guys had to remove any piercings (including ears) and the girls couldn't wear super oversized earrings. The girls were only allowed to wear neutral colored nail polish. And I'm not talking 20 years ago when I would've worked there - about 2 years ago there was a guy at the counter who had two pieces of surgical tape over one of his earlobes. I asked him what happened. He told me that he had gotten his ear pierced the night before forgetting he had to come to work and his manager wanted him to take the stud out of his ear. Since he couldn't do that, the manager made him cover it with the tape. Looked stupider than it the earring, but rules are rules, I suppose..

Max Johnson

Oct 14, 2004
Why are earrings on guys deadly but not chicks?

Why can chicks wear long hair neatly but guys can't?

Not just at McJobs but as cops/military/whatever. I know the answer but hate that equality only has to go one way again.