FU to Geek Squad

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
I brought in my old hard drive to try to recover my data. I asked them to get some specific items, and after they said that my data was recoverable, I paid them their $175 and was told to come back in 3 days.

4 days later, I went back and was told to come back in another 3 days. Another 4 days later, I went back again and was told they hadn't been able to get much off the hard drive, but they were going to try again, and to come back in another 3 days.

Tonight, I fianlly picked up the 3 CDs worth of data they managed to get off the hard drive. Anybody want to guess what's on them?

Shit. Absolute shit. It looks like they backed up my temp internet files and that's about it. And half of those are corrupted or in file formats I've never even heard of. They didn't get any of the stuff I asked them to look for.

So I paid them $175 for a week and a half of delays and 3 CDs full of nothing. Thanks a lot shitdicks.

Davel23

Feb 26, 2005
Not to rub salt in your wounds, but going to Geek Squad was your first mistake. They can handle some things, data recovery is not one of them. Although, most REAL data recovery services charge a LOT more than $175. Last time I had a drive recovered for a customer, it was about $1100. And even that didn't recover everything. Most important things though.

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
Sep 27, 2006
staten
Not to rub salt in your wounds, but going to Geek Squad was your first mistake. They can handle some things, data recovery is not one of them. Although, most REAL data recovery services charge a LOT more than $175. Last time I had a drive recovered for a customer, it was about $1100. And even that didn't recover everything. Most important things though.
seriously geek squad is garbage.

You should've found a small business that competes with them (hell even a teenage geek would've been better than going to best buy) and have them do it, most of the time they will cut you a better deal because most ham and eggers will go to best buy so these little guys are hurting for the business.

Jan 2, 2007
Flushing, NY

Damn true. I'm a PC Tech myself and Geek Squad tried to recruit me in the past. The general starting salary for a PC Tech is roughly $30 per hour more or less, and that is a basic Computer Tech. These guys want techs with every certification under the sun, all for the slave wage of $17 per hour. So what do they get? They get these guys who went to some bullshit vocational school who give certifications to anyone with the cash (or unemployment funds) in a few weeks. So you get some guy who has a bunch of paper, who probably knows nothing more than to reformat and reinstall windows, or install Norton Antivirus (which is my favorite to see when I walk into a virus cleanout job, since I know it's likely there's dozens of viruses running around behind it's shitty detection rate). But anyway, their techs are inept, their rates for lots of things are awful, and their turn around time is terrible. What can one expect from the McDonalds of the Technology Service Industry, that has to play off the geek stereotype with their lame VW bugs and fake badges.

DanaReevesLungs

I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
Donator
Jun 9, 2005
Louisiana
Never bring your shit to a corporate giant and expect it to be done right, on time or within your means. You get what you pay for.

Mar 15, 2004
New Jersey
The Geek Squad sucks. I've been in store watching my buddy Grim Sanity asking them tech questions, and they just fucking crumble. I remember he was asking a very specific question about Windows XP Media and their advice was to basically go to the Windows Update page and download the latest roll ups. Don't you think someone asking a tech based question about specific components and connection of an operating system has already been to the Microsoft site? They've probably done searches on their specific problem too and gone through a few forums too.

They are losers. They're good for telling people obvious answers to questions, but they're not experts on anything. They're basically a collection of younger people who help their grandparents set up Outlook everytime their hard drive takes a shit. Glorified experts.

O

opak

Only thing Geek Squad knows how to do it take your money sir.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
And get busted for secretly videoing hot teens when they do a "field install/help" calls.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
How can you take something to a business that basically goes around playing dress-up and acting like fake superheros?

I know in St.Louis they all have to dress like "Geeks" they've all got the hacky thick black glasses, thay have to wear really tight short sleeved dress shirts and black pants. Then they drive around in the official Geek Squad cars, which are some stupid VW BUG car, going around to people's houses solving their computer problems. They're turds, they don't know anymore than me I'm convinced.

I took my computer to a small computer repair place and it worked out great, it was like a "Tony's Computers" or something. Much better I bet.

sniper

Front, and to the right...
Wackbag Staff
It's My Birthday!
Oct 13, 2004
Masshole
I missed the boat on that whole PC on call business, It got me through college, but I didn't know about business loans back then... still makes me sad. When GS was first launched I used to go into BB and fuck with them. Most of them didn't even know what a "live cd" was. They don't even have the right tools because they are a big corporation so they have to buy bulk licenses for good software, which for a small time shop buying 1 - 3 is cheap, but for GS to supply it's entire staff with individual licenses for antivirus software or some specialty software it'd cost them thousands.
Corporate probably doesn't let these guys think on their own, so they have some dick head behind a desk writing in a handbook what software to use which by the time those guys get it, not only sucks, but the software in the handbook is 3 versions behind.
If they were smart they would have used individual contractors, like Geeks On Site and let them do the job right.
I used to save crashed hard drives with knoppix and just charge my regular hourly fee, If I knew i could get $1100 per drive i'd be living like Anthony. $1100 was platter replacement in a clean room for a crashed head, not throw the drive as a slave in a windows machine and say "oh well, we tried"

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
You can do a better job trying to recover your shit with Hiren's Boot CD than the Geeksquad ever could. Lesson learned.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
fuck Geek Squad, I'm a farmer that knows way fucking more than they do.