OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

FU to "I'm walking across the country to raise awareness" guy.

Discussion in 'What the F??!?' started by VMS, Jul 18, 2011.

1. VMS

VMS Victim of high standards and low personal skills.

I don't care if you're riding a bike, jogging, walking, or doing it on a unicycle.

I don't care if you're doing it to raise awareness, to raise money for a great charity, whatever.

I don't fucking care. You're just doing what truckers do every fucking day. You're just being a fucking attention whore.

2. jnoble

jnoble Lingering longer for a longering linger

I'm guessing you saw the piece on the guy walking across country in a Stormtrooper outfit?

3. ShooterMcGavin

ShooterMcGavin Go back to your shanties.

I don't get how doing this shit raises awareness for anything.

If you want to raise awareness, smoke a lot of cigarettes, get lung cancer, and then attempt to jog across the country. Say you will not stop running until you raise one million dollars from pledges. Then keep the money, because the charity is lung cancer, and you have lung cancer. Badabing, badaboom, your stunt has purpose.

4. NoRez

NoRez Old, tired warrior woman originally from Antland.

5. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

Sometimes you just feel like running.

[​IMG]

6. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

I think it use to, but it has been done so many times now no one cares. I really think local events such as Relay for Life do much more for causes than this idiotic shit, because at least then businesses will get involved.

7. JonBenetRamsey

JonBenetRamsey well shit the bed

i think we're all pretty aware of every fucking cause there is. enough already you stupid cunts.

8. LastDeadMouse

LastDeadMouse WWRBD?

Raising "awareness" is really just raising money, but if you say you're raising money people are less likely to pay attention.

9. JonBenetRamsey

so people are more likely to give money to "making people aware" than they are to just donate money for a cause?

10. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

Whenever I get one of the Susan G Comen things I reply with, "You find me one person who's not aware of breast cancer and I'll donate".

Usually never hear from them again.

11. LastDeadMouse

LastDeadMouse WWRBD?

Yes. And they're even more likely to give if you're doing some sort of stunt/gimmick like a walk or bike ride or whatever.

12. MACHINE1376

MACHINE1376 Thin out the herd...

I think I am going to start walking across the country to raise awareness for unemployment. Maybe that will change things.....
    Or maybe that will just be called irresponsibility.

here's an amusing statistic. When people were shown a starving child, they only wanted to get involved partially. When shown a starving puppy, they wanted to get involved immediately. I think I will bring a starving puppy with me on my walk...

13. Bobobie

Bobobie Registered User

They already have thousands of those. They are called Hobo's.

14. LastDeadMouse

LastDeadMouse WWRBD?

That's because they see the puppy as purely innocent. The child, while just as innocent, is seen as somehow responsible for their situation.

15. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

You joke, but we had a family friend do this. He spent 6 months trying to find a job out of college, couldn't find shit, so he hiked the Appalachian Trail. He got interviewed by some news channel, I think Fox.

There's was nothing attention whorish about it, he just went and did it on his own. Turns out it wasn't such a unique idea.

16. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

I usually reply with a "post tits or get the fuck out" type of message. Until they replied with "one of my tits actually did get the fuck out."

[​IMG]

17. JonBenetRamsey

that's because most of the kids in those pictures are black. no one gives a shit about starving black kids.

do you want
    [​IMG]

to turn into

[​IMG]

i didn't think so.

18. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

Just like most statistics, this one is also an oversimplification of a complex reality. It doesn't say what you think it says about the subjects.

The child's parents are responsible for the situation. The puppy's parents aren't. Humans have the capacity to think ahead and not breed when starving, and when they don't that's by choice. Dogs breed on instinct.

It's also very difficult to just help the human child and not the irresponsible adults who caused it to exist, especially when those adults are in the horrible government which is stealing resources and humanitarian aid away from the starving children, causing you to more likely end up sponsoring a genocide than a starving child. That conundrum doesn't exist with the puppy.

So let's not just start acting like people are somehow wrong for choosing to help the puppy that's right here, instead of "helping" the African child who would probably never get the help anyway. Get the innocent African child away from the people who caused it to starve in the first place, guarantee that my help will reach it, and then I'll let the fucking puppy starve, no problem.

There, the puppy is dead. Happy now?