FU to Maxtor (yet again)

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
My company supplied me with a 300GB external (USB) Maxtor hard drive that was pre-loaded with Ghost images for all the different types of servers that we work on. Last night this piece of shit that I've used like 5 times in the past couple months ass-fucked me. It kept showing up as an empty drive when I was trying to reload this crashed server. But, if I hooked the thing up to my laptop it was fine (at first). Eventually, it stopped responding even when connected to my laptop. Luckily, I got it working long enough to copy the image files off that I needed. I had my own personal external USB 2.0 drive that I was able to copy the images onto and then use to reload this server. Fucking added about 3 hours of bullshit to my night.

I fucking knew these drives were going to screw us, but at least now I'm told we're getting replacments of some sort.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
they will probably replace them with shiny new Maxtor drives!!! Yaaaa
I thought they were no more? bought out by seagate.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I made it abundantly clear that the replacement solution should NOT be Maxtor. And yes, Seagate bought Maxtor and continues to sell drives under the Maxtor name. Makes me wonder if Seagate is going to end up becoming shit as well.

I'm hoping for a NAS drive and I sent the tech manager some suggestions.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
nothing like saving a few bucks on supplies just to waste the money in labor, its the story of my carrier

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
fucking spell check

just because im a retard dont meem i bee stupids

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
That's exactly it. Maxtor was always the lowest-price drive. I forgot to mention, these drives were REFURBISHED. I generally have no problem with a refurb, but something that's shit when it's new is going to be an even bigger piece of shit as a refurb.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
over the years ive spent tons of cash on my tools, mostly snap on but lately ive been buying harbor freight, for shit that i dont use every day, but for something that i absolutely need every day, i by snapon, and i use the best materials that i can buy ive been fucked so many times buy cheeping out on essential stuff, its cost me thousands of hours over the years

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I agree. I buy all kinds of cheap tools at harbor freight, because if I end up leaving a screwdriver behind at a site it won't break my heart.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
ive been spreading the load around too, they had air drills on sale for 9.99 i bought 4, each one with a different bit in it, same with die grinders, ive got 6 of them, i figure if i spread out the use they will last that much longer

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
I only buy samsung drives these days. They are reliable and relatively inexpensive at Micro Center.

Harbor Freight has pretty decent cheap tools. I used to be in the carpentry business and how can you go wrong with half a dozen fiberglass handled claw hammers for 20 bucks? For some stuff, cheap is okay. Loose a hammer or a screwdriver, no big deal. Bust a socket, throw it in the scrap pile.

If it's something that I give a damn about, I like to have the best. Case in point, I could have bought an 18v cordless drill for less than 100 from HF but something like that I'd rather have a nice drill with a couple of Li-Ion batteries, so throwing down a few hundred on my Makita set was worth it to me.