OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

FU to Radio Shack

Discussion in 'What the F??!?' started by Sinn Fein, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Infidel and White Interloper
    Wackbag Staff

I had a situation at work today and was in a pinch. I needed a USB extension cable, like 3-4 foot long.

Normally, I have a few of them but was out. In the past, I actually had been able to score them at one of the local dollar stores for, of course, $1.

Couldn't find any. Hit up Walmart and a couple other places, no luck.

Found a Radio Shack. Ok, cool... They got them.

Whoa... Seriously? $29.99 for a 10-foot USB extension cable? Are you fucking kidding me?

I bought it because I was in a pinch. Tomorrow, I am going to procure one elsewhere (from a coworker) and take the thing back. I could expense it, but my boss will have a stroke.

They are $1.42 from Monoprice. I am going to order a bunch of them tomorrow.

2. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Radio Shack and Best Buy fucking RAPE you on cables because they know you only buy them in-store when you're in a pinch. If you think that's bad, don't dare look at the prices on their HDMI cable. Too bad there are still many rubes out there who don't understand the difference between analog and digital cables.

3. foyb

foyb Registered User

I know what you mean. I needed a micro b usb cable for my phone. $20 bucks for a 6' usb cable.

4. samurai

samurai Ridiculum Anserini

True. I left a cheap lil' 3' cable to connect my iPod to my amp at my Sister's house. Went to Electrorape today, they were 12.99. Not bad for a 59 cent item. I don't care about the money, but my basic principle is not to take one up the heiny. So I left...cherry and pride intact. They did have good prices on some smart phones though.

5. CousinDave

CousinDave Registered User

I remember back in the late 80's to the mid 90's having to buy all kinds of wire, cable, connectors, parts, etc... at Radio Shack and then I found this magic place on this CompuServe thing and I could order from this company called Parts Express

I've probably been in a Radio Shack 2 tims in the last 5 years and they didn't have what I was looking for

6. Jacuzzi Billy

Jacuzzi Billy Watching PTI
    Donator

Yea, FU Radio Shark.

7. Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff

That too.

8. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

Radio Shack's entire business model is serving people who don't understand technology. Old people take their VCRs in and point to the back saying "I need this to connect to my TV" and $50 later they have what they asked for.

9. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

This.

And also this...

I can't understand how the Rat Shack business model can be successful when they sell a $20 cable that you can get for 20 cents on amazon.com and have shipped to you in two days.

Are there really that many desperate and/or clueless people out there?

And NO, you can't have my fucking name and address. You sold me a 2 dollar watch battery... that doesn't entitle you to my fucking name and address, dickface.

10. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Were the ends at least gold plated?

11. Creasy Bear

Donator

12. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Their analog audio cables are great. I'd spend $100 on a good quality 1/4" cable for a guitar. But digital cables have exactly 2 modes of operations: Works perfectly, or doesn't work at all. If you spend more than like $15 on an HDMI cable - congratulations. You've just been scammed.

13. Pigdango

Pigdango Silence, you mortal Fuck!
    Donator

Kind of funny what "Customers bought after viewing this item."

Of course, when I first got my LCD TV 6 years ago I bought the Monster Cables and the fucking Monster Surge Supressor from Best Buy. I didn't know, I was an innocent lad just happy to be getting a new TV.

14. Master Paux

Master Paux Dry Drunk

I don't know how Radio Shack is still in business. The only times I've gone in there are when I need something in a pinch, but the stuff is so fucking ridiculously over-priced that I usually decide I don't need the item THAT bad and can wait the 2-3 days to ship from Amazon.
    Fuck them. Fuck them right in their arseholes.

15. Creasy Bear

Donator

The only reason to pay big bucks for a cable is for durability... in applications where the cable is going to be continually moving and flexed(like a guitar cable). For any fixed application... you're pissing your money away if you buy expensive cables.

What really pisses me off is how some of the scumbag retailers ONLY sell Monster Cables. They probably have some scam agreement going with Monster Cable.

16. CousinDave

CousinDave Registered User

Radio Shack stays in business selling cell phones, all the rest is just profit

Tandy
    Archer
    Realistic
    Optimus

All those Radio Shacks brands are gone

17. Creasy Bear

Donator

Just uhmembereded...

When I used to do high end A/V equipment out in the Hamptons, we had many customers who DEMANDED that we only use Monster Cables in their systems.

I was more than happy to shear those sheep.

18. Master Paux

Master Paux Dry Drunk

That's ok, when the PS3 first came out, I bought the $65 HDMI cable. :icon_redf

19. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

My grandfather was like that. He's an oldschool audiophile, and it took me a while to break him out of the mentality of "expensive cable = better cable" for anything digital.

20. Creasy Bear

Donator

The "audiophiles" where the best. Oh... the money I squeezed out of those dopes. Whenever I heard the word "audiophile" a cash register cha-ching! would chime in my head.

21. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

We were out the other night and ended up talking to this group of out of towners in on business. They were all middle management for Radio Shack.

What a bunch of fucking whipped little idiots.

A couple of guys in my group started lightly ball busting on how shitty the stores were, how everything was a rip-off, etc, and they would go into corporate defense/all out sales mode, and it was pathetic the shit they would come up with to attempt to defend this shit-pile of a store.

"But we've had loyal customers longer than places like Best Buy have even existed" (Elderly idiots)
    "You can get base level components to actually do your own projects, like diodes and LEDs to fit your needs" (At a modest 10,000% mark-up)
    "We currently carry 2 of the 4 major cell phone carriers, and we're in the process of getting the other two by Q2 of next year" (Ummm, great?)

All in all I have more faith in the postal system as a business model, especially after meeting these fucking idiots.

22. gleet

gleet What's black and white and red all over?

Two more punches on my battery card and I get a free flashlight.

23. Stig

Stig Wackbag's New Favorite Heel

I just picked up a USB extension cable at Sam's Club with a bunch of adapters for every variation for 6 bucks.

24. Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff

I swung into my local Dollar Tree store today and bought 5 USB extension cables for $1 each. Tomorrow, I go and swap one of them in place of the $30 Radio Shack cable followed by a trip back to Radio Shack to return it.

25. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

Imma report this post to "The Shack"'s asset protection!