FU to Rain and Shitty non ABS car

Lil'GlubGlub

You may call me Chef Glub
Sep 3, 2004
near philly
yesterday I was driving home and a truck infront of me was braking. I hit the brakes, and they locked up. I proceeded to hydroplane about 15 ft, and smashed into his trailer hitch.

FU

here is the damage on my Kia Sportage

and the dodge durango I hit

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
You're kind of lucky. It could have been way worse.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
oh, that makes me hard

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
I have a 1995 Toyota with AWD, ABS and airbags. What year is that Kia?

Lil'GlubGlub

Sep 3, 2004
near philly
I have a 1995 Toyota with AWD, ABS and airbags. What year is that Kia?
02, but back then the only model to have ABS was the Sedona.

killer penguins said:
i think it's an '02 sportage
shaddup.

quit trying to act all smart.

you're just pissed that I didn't email you the pics before you came here.

just tell them your my sis already.

Ha now I blew up your spot.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
depends, looks like about 1500$ in OEM parts depending on your insurance coverage i would say at least 3k if not 4, if it makes you feel any better i would say that although the hitch seemed to take the majority of the hit on the durango i would bet that he cant get the spare tire down, and bent the frame, its a nice hit on your car, good fixable job, the air bags didnt go did they? looks like very slow impact 10-15 mph tops

Lil'GlubGlub

Sep 3, 2004
near philly
depends, looks like about 1500$ in OEM parts depending on your insurance coverage i would say at least 3k if not 4, if it makes you feel any better i would say that although the hitch seemed to take the majority of the hit on the durango i would bet that he cant get the spare tire down, and bent the frame, its a nice hit on your car, good fixable job, the air bags didnt go did they? looks like very slow impact 10-15 mph tops
Airbags didn't deploy. thank god.

doesn't make me feel better

Although I do get to drive my dad's caddy until I get a rental from the insurance co.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
I've read that ABS breaks don't show any statistical tendency to prevent these kinds of accidents.

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
I've read that ABS breaks don't show any statistical tendency to prevent these kinds of accidents.
YOu see how the right bumper is dented....with ABS the driver can steer around the trailer hitch and not hit the truck. I had a similar situation in my honda civic...A guy SLAMMED on his brakes at a T intersection and went right from the left turn only lane. I was going left and had to also slam on my brakes...I steered around him and avoided hitting his stopped car and hit a curb and then a signpost...$600 of damage instead of $3000....makes the extra $1000 i spent on the EX model w/ abs worth it right there

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
There are times it helps, and times it hurts. Swerving out of the way isn't always the best option:

A 2003 Australian study[2] by Monash University Accident Research Centre found that ABS:

Reduced the risk of multiple vehicle crashes by 18 percent, but that it
Increased the risk of run-off-road crashes by 35 percent.
Also on slippery surfaces such as snow and ice anti-lock brakes have been found to increase stopping distance. Not sure about rain though.

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
yeah but in Australia they drive on the left...I swerved right, so I would have stayed on the road down there :)

Actually Aussie drivers are VERY timid in my experience. They all yield to everyone and are Super curteous. I felt guilty driving like i am from boston when I was down there.

MyKneeGrows

A Mean-Spirited Nothing™
Sep 14, 2006
Milwaukee
Thats what you get for driving a KIA.

Had a Sephia back in 2000, had it for 1 month, then in was in and out of the shop for about 4 months for the brakes, they actually "lemon-lawed" me out of that POS.

krisko

Mrs. Fuckin Funny
Jul 29, 2005
Cupcake Capital, USA

Had a Sephia back in 2000, had it for 1 month, then in was in and out of the shop for about 4 months for the brakes, they actually "lemon-lawed" me out of that POS.
ya i had an '01 sephia no ABS no power locks or windows, jesus those cars are shit.

sorry if this was covered but, you don't have insurance?

Lil'GlubGlub

Sep 3, 2004
near philly
ya i had an '01 sephia no ABS no power locks or windows, jesus those cars are shit.

sorry if this was covered but, you don't have insurance?
If you mean me, of course I have insurance.

It's the law in PA.

I am picking up my rental saturday morning and should get my estimate by tomorrow.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be

I had a 2000 Sephia and went through brakes like every 4000 miles .. they kept telling me that it was me - I was using the brakes too much or some shit. The car was about 3 years old I think when I got a letter from Kia saying that there was a "problem" with the braking mechanism and while it wasn't a real safety issue they recommended bringing the car in to have a new doo hickey installed - for the tidy sum of $350 ... that's when I decided to dump the car & swore off Kia's after that. Got me a Saturn & just replaced the brakes for the first time - after 35000 miles!!

Lil'GlubGlub said:
yesterday I was driving home and a truck infront of me was braking. I hit the brakes, and they locked up. I proceeded to hydroplane about 15 ft, and smashed into his trailer hitch.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, I don't know how it works in PA, but in New York, if you rear end someone you're 100% liable for the accident which really sucks. It means that your insurance company can't go after the other guy's insurance company to recoup a portion of the $$ they're going to lay out to repair your car. And it's cause for them to raise your rates. Some companies will actually drop you for that..they only want to insure safe drivers and if you're involved in an accident where you're considered the majority liability, you are not considered a safe driver by their standards.

FU to the insurance industry as well!

Lil'GlubGlub

Sep 3, 2004
near philly
I got my rental yesterday and damn, is it fun.

I am driving a 2007 PT Cruiser. plenty of room inside, and a little more pickup than the kia.

I wish they were available in 4wd.

still no word on the estimate though.

Lil'GlubGlub

Sep 3, 2004
near philly
Got the estimate today.

$3975 and they are shooting for 9/7 as the finished date.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002

hmmmmm, im getting good

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
what is strange about it is i dont even think about how long ive been doing it till some one complains, or tries to fuck me over. then i whip out the "ive been doing this shit for twenty years, do i really look that fucking incompetent" (even though some times i do) i started very young, i was working full time summers when i turned 16, but i worked in the body shop with my dad since i could walk and not piss my pants. i also think about it when i break a tool, some of my tools are at least 20years old, some i bought new some used, when i break one, i have to think about when i bought it.