FU to the click of death on my hard drive

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator
I just lost my 80 gig hd with all of my shit. ALL of it! For those of you that this has happened to, you understand my wish I had a gun to put holes in it rage.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
What brand may I ask?

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator
Maxtor.

I'm gonna try putting it in as a secondary to see if I can retrieve anything that way

taban

i understand about 15 times over.
thats what you get for using gateway in the 90s and dell laptops like a real dick.

Wow, chalk one more failure up to Maxtor.

Fucking shit.

It's very serious. Depending on the failure cause, the HD can be subject to overheating and this can cause operational problems. If you freeze it, it could get cold enough to give some operation time to recover some files at a time.

SatansCheerledr

Ideologically Unsound
Freezer is a last ditch effort but is has been known to work.

C

carpe06

I've seen 2 hard drives recover from a death click with a good, opened handed smack - was never a permanent recovery, but good enough to offload the files. We used to call it a "percussion adjustment".

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator
When this happened, it had been turned off. I started up and it got 3/4 of the way booted and it froze up. So I rebooted and I got a disk boot failure message. I was fucked after that.

hypes

Flying over your heads
I've done this with a few drives that have had a head crash...works about 40% of the time....turning the drive upside down and giving it a good, solid smack on the top of it with the flat palm of your hand as level as you can works about 60% of the time.

Either way, if you can get it working at all...get your data off of it ASAFP.

Also, put it in another machine that does boot (make sure the drive is setup to be slaved off the boot drive) and hope like hell it'll at least init.

-s h

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Wow... a Maxtor. who saw this coming?

Good luck. Buy a Deskstar or a Western Digital for a replacement.

thetick130

Trying hard not to kill my dog
my friend was adding 2 drives to his 4.5 terabyte server with like 1500 movies and 100 full shows and the power went out........lost everything... not really related to this but still sucks ass nonetheless

tstlkevanilla

Ministress of Masturbation
Maxtor.

I'm gonna try putting it in as a secondary to see if I can retrieve anything that way
wow.. that's the first and only type of hard drive to crash on me. I had years worth of O&A files lost.. gone.. finite.. :cry3:

Had one go out on me not long ago. Fired up the old Dell and got the drive running outside parameters warning. Backed up everything and two more boot ups the fucking thing didn't even show up in the system. It pays to constantly back up everything.