FU to when you hate your favorite bands newest album

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
Dec 4, 2005
New Jersey
Specifically to my own situation, I'm still bitter at one of my all time favorite bands, Rush, for their most recent album 'Snakes and Arrows' which I can't stand most of. Like literally, I can't listen to most of the songs for longer than 30 seconds before I angerly skip to the next song...and then skip...and then skip...and then take the CD out in disgust. They did what many bands do, they CHANGED THEIR SOUND and 'Went in a different direction' Why?? What was wrong with the other direction? It worked fine for most of us:arrrh: :mad4:

I understand that many bands, and especially Rush, like to keep evolving and don't want to get stuck making the same sounding album over and over again. That's good and I understand why. But this one, with the exception of about three songs, does ZERO for me. NADA. ZIP. ZILCH. Just one dull, monotonus lumbering melodyless hookless tune after another. And as long as I've been a fan of them, that's NEVER EVER happened before. Sure, there's always one or two songs off any particular CD I don't like, but now almost all of them?? And now they're going back out on tour this summer. I'll go, I'll love them anyway, and I'll love the older stuff, but hearing the new songs still makes me want to go on a long bathroom break. :(

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
You mean you didn't give up after Roll the Bones? Nothing like hearing middle aged Canadian white guys try to rap.

jnoble

Dec 4, 2005
New Jersey
I want to clear this up for all the non-Rush fans once and for all

You mean you didn't give up after Roll the Bones? Nothing like hearing middle aged Canadian white guys try to rap.

The rap section in the middle of the song 'RTB' was NEVER meant to be taken seriously nor was Rush trying to get into hip hop. It was just a tounge-in-cheek commentary on what was the current trend in music around 1991 when that album came out. No more no less. I've tried calling in a couple times on the occasion that O&A and Jimmy talk about it, but I can never get past the screener or on the air before they change subjects.

It's only one minute in the middle of one song on one album. It's not a big deal at all, even if it didn't age well. That's still a really good album and one of the band's favorites.

Jan 3, 2006
In Fleas Mom's Box
I always like Rush. They're the only real band that has stayed true to it's arena/prog roots over the years. For 2007, they sure made one of the best albums of the year (I know that that's not saying much). Sure, there were some misses on that album, but overall, it was another gem.

jnoble

Dec 4, 2005
New Jersey
it's a love it or hate it album

I always like Rush. They're the only real band that has stayed true to it's arena/prog roots over the years. For 2007, they sure made one of the best albums of the year (I know that that's not saying much). Sure, there were some misses on that album, but overall, it was another gem.
I know a ton of the Rush fans LOVED Snakes And Arrows and I'm not going to be arrogant and say they're all wrong.

Maybe the things that Rush does that excites and moves me are different than what others expect and like, but S&A leaves me bored and depressed.

Far Cry is good. Spindrift is good. Malignant Narcissim is a cool instrumental. The rest......just ramble on and on and on with no melody, no memorable lyrics, no hook, no cool guitar riffs or solos, no stand out bass guitar or drum fills...just more of Neil Peart's unusually downbeat and whiny "the world sucks" lyrical rants. That's not the Rush I grew up on and fell in love with. :icon_roll

Jan 3, 2006
In Fleas Mom's Box
I know a ton of the Rush fans LOVED Snakes And Arrows and I'm not going to be arrogant and say they're all wrong.

Maybe the things that Rush does that excites and moves me are different than what others expect and like, but S&A leaves me bored and depressed.

Far Cry is good. Spindrift is good. Malignant Narcissim is a cool instrumental. The rest......just ramble on and on and on with no melody, no memorable lyrics, no hook, no cool guitar riffs or solos, no stand out bass guitar or drum fills...just more of Neil Peart's unusually downbeat and whiny "the world sucks" lyrical rants. That's not the Rush I grew up on and fell in love with. :icon_roll
And there were some misses on there, like "Working them Angels" is a definite miss. "The larger bowl" is just okay. But "Far Cry," "Spindrift," "Bravest Face," "We hold on," were not too shabby in my opinion.

jnoble

Dec 4, 2005
New Jersey
one thing I've noticed...

whenever an older established band excitedly talks about how their latest project is "some of the best material we've ever written", 9 times out of 10 you're going to listen to it and be wondering if they were just being sarcastic or possibly high. I remember when Sammy Hagar briefly got back together with VH in 2004 and they recorded a couple new songs and the one called "My time" or something like that which was released as a single, was the biggest piece of shit I've ever heard from them. And at the time, he was going on about how "this is some of the hottest songs we've ever done".

Yeah, OK. Whatever, Sammy :huh:

jnoble

Dec 4, 2005
New Jersey
if you've noticed...

And there were some misses on there, like "Working them Angels" is a definite miss. "The larger bowl" is just okay. But "Far Cry," "Spindrift," "Bravest Face," "We hold on," were not too shabby in my opinion.

One of the things that's hurting the band's last few albums is Geddy Lee's increasing inabilty to write a good melody or hook. He was amazing on 'Presto' and 'Roll The Bones' with melodys. Now he's got this really annoying habit of taking the last word in a verse and stretching it out like a piece of gum and adding like seven syllibles to a two syllible word. It's been getting worse starting with Test For Echo.
Also, Neil has to get back to writing good consise lyrics again with defined verses and choruses....Pretty much everything on Snake and Arrows just sounds like "blah blah blah words words words blah blah blah.." and so on with no separation into distinct song parts.