Fuck. I don't want to go.

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
So I'll be leaving late tomorrow/early Thursday to travel a very long distance for a friend's surprise birthday party. He's not one of my closest friends from college, but he's one of the most important, if that makes any sense.

I don't want to go. But the entire surprise party was my idea and I'm one of only a handful of people who hasn't dropped out of it already. It's just a pain in the ass to see this guy. He's a great guy, but I'm basically giving up a week of my life to surprise him for one night. It'll be fun as hell, he knows everyone in the city he lives in, he's a big shot, but I'm just too fucking lazy and don't really want to go.

I'm going. I know I am. I said I would do it so I'm going to do it. But I don't want to. If more of our college crew was going to show up I'd be all over it. But with just the few, I'll know maybe 4-5 people and then it's my friends' SOs and friends of friends of friends. I don't need that shit.

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
Driving or Flying? Driving? Get some O&A and R&F shows to listen to...Flying? Grab a season of a good show and watch that.

Make a game of the trip. Take opposing stands on social issues with random people around the room...and then use the other persons argument in then next interaction...

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
If you get hungry on the trip, try wrapping a hot dog in bacon. I hear it's good.

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
Driving or Flying? Driving? Get some O&A and R&F shows to listen to...Flying? Grab a season of a good show and watch that.

Make a game of the trip. Take opposing stands on social issues with random people around the room...and then use the other persons argument in then next interaction...
Driving. I'll be listening to O&A live and then switching to my podcast list. The drive doesn't really bother me. It's just the time away from all the shit I have to do. Which would carry more weight if I hadn't spent so much time posting about the Zimmerman trial the last several days...

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
I have to be in South Carolina by 5pm. GPS says it's a 10 hour drive. I'm seriously thinking of just getting in the car now and going. Can't sleep. Figure I'll take a nap at a rest stop on the way. Nothing bad ever comes of that, right?

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
If you get hungry on the trip, try wrapping a hot dog in bacon. I hear it's good.
Only if you slice down the middle and add cheese 1st.

vms said:
I don't want to go. But the entire surprise party was my idea
Then suck it up. You started it, you gotta finish it.

somnarium

deftones or somefuckin' body
Aug 24, 2012
I know exactly the kind of college friend you mean. Been in a similar situation. Make the best of it once you get there. Even if it is shit, it is YOUR time, so be in control of it by trying to have a good time.

And besides, I know you're not expecting much, so it'll probably be a great time. I know everytime I go all out to make sure everyone is gonna have a good time ahead of time it always ends up being disappointing. So your low expectations should work in your favor.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I have to be in South Carolina by 5pm. GPS says it's a 10 hour drive. I'm seriously thinking of just getting in the car now and going. Can't sleep. Figure I'll take a nap at a rest stop on the way. Nothing bad ever comes of that, right?
Hey before you go, make sure you hit your Like Thread. Just in case you fall asleep at the wheel or something.

flyerfan116

Fuckin savages
Apr 14, 2005
NJ
Tired Asian getting behind the wheel for a long drive he doesn't want to go on...there's a joke in there somewhere but I'm too lazy to work it out

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
Made it in one piece. I know this trip will be a lot of fun. I've decided I'm just being grouchy because I hate my chick.

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
Dec 4, 2005
New Jersey
So did you stop at any "get-robbed and murdered" locations errr, I mean "truck stops" along the way?

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
So did you stop at any "get-robbed and murdered" locations errr, I mean "truck stops" along the way?
What's with all the stalls and urinals having tile walls? The drill I brought with me won't make it through those walls...

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
You're lucky the stalls had doors...Nothing like having to drop some major mud and realizing it's a full metal jacket bathroom...

There's this great little out of the way place down that way...it's a cultural center dealing with meso american artisanal wares...it's steeped in the rich heritage of the early peoples of the americas...

I think they have a sign near it to direct you to it...

Just look for some pedro guy...

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
So I was wrong. Charleston was awesome. My buddy who we surprised is the GM at Husk, one of the best restaurants in the country. I ate like a fucking king this weekend, hanging out with him. Going to sleep now. Long car ride tomorrow.

NuttyJim

It's My Birthday!
Feb 18, 2006
So I was wrong. Charleston was awesome. My buddy who we surprised is the GM at Husk, one of the best restaurants in the country. I ate like a fucking king this weekend, hanging out with him. Going to sleep now. Long car ride tomorrow.
Glad everything worked out.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
good thing the weather is warm or someone may tap on your window and tell you "it's cold out here"

or too bad it isn't cold out...We won't judge you

Frankie_b

Talk softly and drive a big tank!
Aug 31, 2009
Scotland
If Patrice taught you anything it's that you should have called your friend the night before and made 100% sure he liked surprises.

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
Ok, here's the bad part. Drove 450 miles in the rain yesterday to Boston. I am sleeping in the playroom of my cousin's house that is now home to 6 kids from 4 months to 8 years. Driving back with my niece and nephew on Monday, and then down to Disneyworld on the 7th.

Too much family stuff. Could have used the rest last weekend.