Fuck me... brakes and battery

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
My battery finally shit the bed this week. That's an easy fix, obviously. Warranty on the current one is gone, but Advance Auto said a pro-rated replacement is about $66. New ones are $135 - when the fuck did batteries get so expensive?

Also realized today that my brakes finally shot. I drive a 2004 Suzuki Forenza (front wheel drive). DO I need to just do front brakes, or am I probably gonna have to replace front and rear? I have access to the hobby shop on base, and I can rent a bay with a full lift for like $5 an hour, plus they provide tools and mechanics to help you out if needed, so that's the easy part.

On brakes, is there anything special I need to look for, or are basic brakes just fine for a commuter car? I'm pretty easy going on my brakes, which is probably why I just started noticing the problem.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
you don't have to change all of them

usually the front ones wear out quicker than the rears

just check the rear brakes out and do them all at once if they need it, just one time bleeding them all instead of coming back and doing them again in a couple of months

sounds like a good set up they offer you there.

they make all sorts of good, better best types but get the ones that have the best warranty, then keep the receipt and have free brakes forever

and yes, while you were sleeping, battery prices skyrocketed for some reason

I have talked to like 3 people recently that asked the same question

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Yeah, battery prices have gotten out of hand.
No clue why.

As WWW said, check the rears. If it's only FWD
and not AWD the fronts will wear faster than the back.
Also if the rears are drum brakes then they wear even
slower than 4 wheel disc vehicles.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
I've started getting ceramic pads the last couple times for the truck and car
I don't notice much difference in performance , but maybe they work better
I would imagine they last longer

Hopefully you don't need rotors
But if it's Front Wheel Drive , they probably won't cost too much

Might cut into your ammo budget a bit though

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
the price of lead is through the roof and batteries are considered toxic waste so your paying for that, as for the brakes, i use the napa crapa "good" ones and have never had a problem with them once they bed in, just remember to pump them up after you put the wheels back on so you dont drive through the garage door when you are done ;) (voice of experience)

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
Yeah, you generally will get 2-3 sets of fronts before you need rears, in my experience.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Yeah, you generally will get 2-3 sets of fronts before you need rears, in my experience.
Hell yeah. I do fronts on the wife's Elantra every 30k.
Did the 1st set of rear shoes at 80k and they weren't worn out.
We were going on vacation so I just did everything.

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
Yea drum breaks will still stop when they are basically to the metal. Love those things hate changing them though fucking springs and those screw things to losen or tighten them

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Did the pads on my truck during the summer... luckily the neighbor has an open garage bay that he does in his repairs.

Protip... when jacking up a pick up with one of those back racks on... make sure the back rack is aligned in between the joist spaces.

samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
May 16, 2007
Chicago
In the same boat with my old Town & Country, which has turned into my mobile tackle box. My Sister needs to borrow it to ferry 8 kids to go see the Harlem Globe Trotters. :eek:

Unfortunately, the battery will no longer hold a charge, and I need to change out the front rotors/pads. And I have to do it in the next 48 hours. I may not have time to do it myself. Thanks Sis.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Ya I should prob think about the battery as well... as it is a 2005 and I still have the factory one...

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Surprised your battery didn't shit the bed with all that coldness up there. The average life of a battery is about five years.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Surprised your battery didn't shit the bed with all that coldness up there. The average life of a battery is about five years.
Ya that is what I thought as well... mind you the past winters haven't been uber cold... plus I've had it for ummm 3 years and I have only put like 10k ish... It does have a battery blanket on it... so that prob helped.