OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Fuck You Central Maine Power

Discussion in 'What the F??!?' started by stevethrower, Aug 15, 2011.

1. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Link

Why do have to pay for a meter when I don't pay for my existing mechanical one... fuckers...

Oh and looks like Kirk's real name is RobertWilliams... from the comments thread on the article

2. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

Pacific Gas & Electric just installed those here in Northern California. Why the fuck are they getting stimulus money? This actually eliminates fucking jobs.

3. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

4. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

This should be a real concern for all those people who go around holding wireless smart meters up to the sides of their head every day.

5. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Some Maine doctors are having a shit fit about this... as they can remotely cut you off... rather then sending a human to do it... I am just pissed I have to pay for a meter now. Correction 3 meters.

6. Creasy Bear

Donator

Yowza. That's fucked up. The power company would have to be fucking crazy to use that remote cutoff. It seems like they'd be opening themselves up to crazy lawsuits... cutting off power to home medical equipment n' shit.

Damn. Fucking technology... at the same time awesomely cool, and horrifyingly awful.

7. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Well they are not supposed to cut you off if say you are running an iron lung or whatever... and remote cut offs have caused a couple of fires as people have been stringing extension cords from their neighbors etc...

8. Creasy Bear

Donator

So what? They like call you up and ask you? Who the fuck would be like, "Oh, no problem. No iron lungs here. Go ahead and shut 'er down."

Of course everyone's going to be all, "No! Don't shut off the power! I've got 14 retarded orphans here on heart bypass pumps n' shit! Please don't murder my retarded heartless orphans!"

9. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Are you saying people lie so they don't get their power cut off... that's unpossible...

10. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Hmmm more Kirk news from Maine:

Link

11. Creasy Bear

Donator

The "health concerns" thing is bullshit. The communication technology is exactly like a cell phone... only the Smart Meter a cell phone that transmits once a day and in nowhere near as close proximity to a human as a handheld cell phone. Anybody who understands how a cell phone works, understands who this sort of Smart Meter communications is actually FAR safer than a cell phone.

The "Orwellian" argument is bullshit too... the old meters were far more Orwellian in that an actual human being had to actually physically come onto your property to read the meter and/or shut off your power. That seems like a far more egregious "invasion of privacy" than doing it remotely.

The only potential problem I see with the new meters is the potential for hackers to figure out the system and get up to some serious shenanigans.

12. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

I disagree with these companies getting stimulus money, but as far as installing the smart meters... fuck it, it's their property. They can install whatever the hell they want. If these people have actual conviction and were that worried about the radiation, they can probably call up the power company, tell them to remove the smart meter, and stop buying power from them.

13. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

This is like totally gonna screw up my plans of stealing electricity to run my grow house maaaaaaaan. Those lights aren't cheap to run broooooo.

14. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Again my point is why do I have to pay for three new smart meters... when I pay nothing for my old electro mechanical dumb meters.

15. weeniewawa

weeniewawa it's a man, baby!!!

that made me loff like a retard

16. weeniewawa

weeniewawa it's a man, baby!!!

I am glad I am on SoCal Edison and we have none of this yet but I have heard nothing but bad stories from PG&E customers who have them

everyone who has one has had their bill go up and some have been a lot

this is more than for remote reading and termination, it can sense if you are using power at the "wrong time of day" and charge you more for the power

big brother crap

17. JimsInfectedEye

JimsInfectedEye That's very hurtful, sir.

On a side note, a big FU to PECO, power supplier down here in Philadelphia - just got a letter stating they are stopping the heat pump discount as of this year. So, when it gets uber cold and my 10kw electric heaters kick in, I'm paying full price. Hello $500 electric bills in the winter time.

18. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Did they give a reason for doing this?

I do want to eventually get a small panel set up so I can run the barn... specifically the electric fences and during the winter the heated buckets.

19. Creasy Bear

Donator

The Kirk Strongs who are harping about "big brother" privacy invasion, and guv'mint mind control death ray smart meters are useful idiots. Central Maine Power loves you guys. Because you distract away from the scummy shit that they're actually doing in this situation... they're using taxpayer money to install equipment which will lower their costs, but they're actually going to use that technology as an excuse and a method to raise your rates.

It's a complete flim flam.

If you think the power company gives one shit about you and your "privacy" beyond how much they can squeeze out of your wallet, then you're suffering from delusions of self importance.

But you dopes keep blabbering on about George Orwell and death rays and distract everyone from the real issue of the corporate thievery that's being perpetrated.

20. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Hello exactly... odd thing is you can opt out of the smart meter... but you get the honor of paying a higher "installation" fee... and more per month for actually having a warm body come by your house and read your meter.

Get this:

Standard Wireless Smart Meter: Go ahead and install the Standard Smart Meter.
    There is no additional cost for the Standard Smart Meter.

A Smart Meter that emits no radio signal

One-time charge of $20, plus
    Monthly charge of $10.50

CMP will read the meter every two months for billing, and send an estimated bill for the alternate months. Customers will have access to hourly usage information on line, but the data will be updated every other month after meter reading.

Note: The modified Smart Meter is not expected to be available before March, 2012, but you may select this option now.

An electro-mechanical meter, like the meter you have today.

One-time charge of $40, plus
    Monthly charge of $12

An electro-mechanical meter with no wireless communications technology. CMP will read the total recorded electricity usage every two months for billing, and send customers an estimated bill for the alternate months.

So it costs $24 (every second month) for some guy to spend three seconds sitting in his truck reading our meters... nice.

Oh and it looks like they are outsourcing the meter reading... fuckers.