OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Fuck You UPS!

Discussion in 'What the F??!?' started by Yesterdays Hero, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Yesterdays Hero

Yesterdays Hero She's better than you, Smirkalicious.

Spoiler for length.

I work at a UPS warehouse. Lobbing boxes off a conveyor belt for hours a day onto a 5 ton truck. It's dirty, dusty, and a night job as well, so I miss out on evenings at home, as I'm asleep. My body chemistry has adjusted (for the most part) to being up in the early mornings. Been doing it for about a year, as the pay isn't bad ($20ish an hour).

So this new head supervisor of the warehouse starts working there. Been with UPS for under a year, never loaded a truck, is 25 if that, and has a chip (Wha'sat?) on his shoulder that should be knocked off with buckshot.

He figures it's ok for the warehouse to work for 9 straight hours, with a single 15 minute break. Fuck that. Hard. Right in the ass.

First of all, the position for night time pre-loader (heh, load) is a part time position. Under the union rules, it states "Part time postions are entitled to a single 15 minute unpaid break per shift." That shift being 5 hours. After that, it's overtime pay. Great. However, there's nothing in the rulebook about a break beyond the 5 hours.

What's more, the labor laws for my area state that with 5 hours of consecutive work, an employee is entitled to a 30 minute break. Well 5 hours hit of consecutive work, and no break.

Now I knew this was going to happen on friday (as it happened thursday also). We started our shift at midnight (early for us. normally 3am) and at 3:45 a break was called. Fine. I told that snotnosed fagula we'd best be getting another break between 4 and 9. He said 'No. I'm not doing that.' and walked off. Ok cunt, let's go then.

9am hits, and I say i'm leaving. I walk over to the guy that gives me a lift to work every morning, and let him know I'm out, and he should come also. The assistant supervisor of the warehouse is closeby and says "You can't just leave. That's abandoning your post". I said "Well this place is breaking labor laws for breaks. So there you go."

I take off, as did 4 others. Left work, fuck 'em.

Couple minutes later, in the parking lot, a union rep comes out. One of the drivers of the trucks. Tells me he'll see what he can do, but I did 'stage a wildcat'. I told him I could give a shit. They're violating labor laws, etc. 9 hours of hard work with a single 15 min break? Fuck off with that nonsense.

I come in to work this morning, and snotnosed fuck and the other union rep wanna talk to me. I instantly think that Junior is going to fire me. And sure enough, that's what happened. The union rep took me aside and said they'd do what they can to get me reinstated and back working.

I'm not overly surprised it all happened, as UPS is a pretty dogshit place to work. Compared to other jobs I've had over the years, this one is by far the worst. They give a shit about their employees on a level that Wal-Mart does.

So now I'm stuck going talking to the Union in the morning about the mess. I'm tempted to just let it all go, and go work somewhere else. But out of spite, I want to see that those still there get some decent breaks, as there's some good people stuck there still.

TLDR: I got fired for leaving work, saying 'A single 15 min break in 9 hours is bullshit for part time employees.'

2. Wrecktum

Wrecktum Tounge puncher of fart boxes

Yea you might be considered "part time" for the week but if you work more then 5 hours you are entitled to a 30 minute break. Call the labor board and get yourself some unemployment.

3. Yesterdays Hero

No unemployment for me. Was there for less than a year (by like 2 weeks). Will give them a call regardless.

4. Hudson

Hudson Supreme Champion!!!!!
    Donator

I thought it was 9 months

5. Yesterdays Hero

Thought it was a year. o_O

Could be 9 months. Could be a year up in the Norf'.

6. Hudson

Hudson Supreme Champion!!!!!
    Donator

Right, you are a Hinterlander.

7. mikeybot

mikeybot SPANAKOPITA!!!

Hell, that's almost lawyers tripping over each other to help you territory (or just mentioning that you're thinking of talking to one)

8. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Sounds like whoever wrote your union rulebook also let you down.

9. Hog's Big Ben

Hog's Big Ben Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
    Donator

Make a big stink about it. Call up one of those Shame Shame Shame TV bobbleheads. They're hacky, but they get shit done. Even though it sounds like you could give a shit about getting your job back, fucking with them is still fun.

10. Wrecktum

Nah nigga doesn't have to be there a year as long as you have so many consecutive weeks working. Check with your state. In pa Its like 30 weeks or some shit like that.

11. Yesterdays Hero

HBB has it, pretty much. It's a do nothing, know nothing job. The pay is barely above average. Keeps you in shape though, as you're constantly moving.

I do plan to make a gigantic stink about it, if I don't get plopped back into my position. I dig the people there, as we just fuck around all shift (While getting our done).

Very much want to see that smug little smile of the new head supervisor of the warehouse wiped off when he sees me roll in through the door. Just for spite, as I'm a true dick like that.

Worst case, I'll go to the media. Would rather not, as that's a pain in the ass. Going through the union motions first. Filing a grievance this morning (whoopie doo! that'll do a lot).

12. Yesterdays Hero

Met with the Union/Teamsters today. Just one guy in a room, and I babbled out what happened. They're on my side pretty big, and going to fix the '9 hours work with a single 15 min break' bullshit. Guy I sat with thought I'd probably have my old position back.

On a comedic sidenote, 5 people 'called in sick' today, and half of the unload staff quit today also. So not only are they understaffed, they're also REALLY fucking shorthanded.

Provided I get my gig back, I get lost salary back also.

I'm to understand that Unions suck a pile of dick in the US. The one I'm dealing with is pretty good though. Not all bad.

13. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

14. Yesterdays Hero

[​IMG]

d0uche_n0zzle likes this.
  15. mrfarstucker

mrfarstucker Registered User

That "one 15 minute break" thing certainly doesn't sound right. At my previous job (retail), I think it went something like this:
    • at least 4 hours but less than 6 hours: one 15-minute paid break
    • at least 6 hours but less than 8 hours: one 15-minute paid break; one 30-minute unpaid break
    • 8 hours or more: two 15-minute paid breaks; one 30-minute unpaid break
    I assumed it was due to some law, but maybe it was just company policy?

16. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

I haven't had a job with structured breaks in years, but I'm pretty sure that's how it is in California also.

17. Yesterdays Hero

My office gig 2-3 years back was 8 hours of work, you get two 15 min breaks, and a 45 min lunch.

Union book alludes to a part time shift being 5 hours, which entails one 15 min break. Fine. Nine hours of work and one 15 min break? I'll quit the next time it happens. Fuck that place.

18. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

Some are good, others are waaay to powerful and will run a company into the ground.

19. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 In The Danger Zone...
    Wackbag Staff

Mine wasn't bad. I worked for the IAM.

International Assn of Machinists and Aerospace Workers.

Got me a decent wage and bennies but I prefer what I'm doing now.

And the dealer I worked for... gone.

20. DanaReevesLungs

DanaReevesLungs I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
    Donator

I worked one union gig at a shipbuilder. Being that my state is right to work, we didn't have to join the union to work there. I'm anti-union mainly because of that place. Striked every time a contract negotiation came up. I crossed that picket line every time. Unions generally don't adjust with economic times. They think recessions and depressions never occur.

Anyway, enough of my babbling. I hope the union gets you your gig back, sir.

21. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

Funny you mention ship builders. That was my first experience with unions. I was a wide eyed 20 year old sailor stationed on an aircraft carrier in Portsmouth Naval Shipyard for refits.

Since I was a Nub (non-useful body), i would get assigned fire watch all the time to monitor the shipyard welder a to make sure they didn't start a fire. I couldn't believe the lack of work ethic.

0700: workday starts.
    0830 finally show up looking for a fire watch
    0900 arrive at work site and set down their tools, just in time for break
    0930: piddle around for the next hour or two setting up
    1130 finally start welding. Go through 2 rods and its time for lunch
    1300 I'd be there waiting for them.
    1330-1400 they finally show up
    1400-1500 weld their butt off
    1500-1600 break
    1600-1700 weld again.
    1700- 1800 clean up their tools
    1800 quitting time. their shift actually ended at 1900, but they wanted time to head back to their shop and drop off their tools.

22. Wrecktum

I'd say your body is quite useful hot pants.

Party Rooster likes this.
  23. mikeybot

mikeybot SPANAKOPITA!!!

Didn't realize Rockpup and AH had company on the board :action-sm

24. Wrecktum

Don't be jelly.

25. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Have you seen him in his bike shorts too? Hubba Hubba!

Wrecktum likes this.