OpieRadio Logo
Anthony Cumia Show Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Fuck You Whirlpool

Discussion in 'What the F??!?' started by domelogic, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Infidel and White Interloper
    Wackbag Staff

Ok... I pulled the icemaker out... heard a rattling noise. Found a broken gear and a shaft. Both are plastic, of course. They are part of the motor/drive assembly. So, I start looking around online. Nope, can't just buy the broken pieces. Can buy the motor assembly, but it's almost $100. I keep poking around... I check eBay. I can buy a whole fucking replacement icemaker assembly, brand new in the box for less money than just the motor assembly. And it's allegedly the latest revision of the icemaker. Maybe it'll last longer.

So, it looks like that is what I am going to do. And I guess I'll have plenty of spare parts from the existing icemaker assembly.

I just bought the replacement via eBay. It's costing me like $79 and change including shipping.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Crinkle Crinkle!

Hmmmm.....

Whirlpool Washer/Dryer combo has worked without hitch for five years.

Whirlpool Fridge, Dishwasher, and IR-burner range/oven has worked without hitch for four years.

Go to Consumer Reports and you'll see that Whirlpool, as a brand, ranks as among the best, reliability-wise, for each of the above appliances.

So, yeah, FUCK that Whirlpool company the makes shit that WORKS.

3. domelogic

domelogic Registered User

apparently you havent read all the posts regardless of what consumer reports or you say. some of us have had problems, so consider yourself lucky i guess
    oh and fuck that whirlpool company

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Crinkle Crinkle!

I did read the posts. I'm not suggesting that you and some other haven't had problems. I haven't had those problems, and the brand's products are more reliable than most, so I'm not "lucky"... It appears that your experience is an UNlucky one.

5. Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff

Ok... The replacement icemaker arrived today. I installed it about an hour ago. It took all of 5 minutes to install.

It's already making ice.

Apparently this is a common failure. The plastic gear/shaft is driven by the metal gear on the motor and appears to be the weak link in the mechanism.

6. suel

suel New Wackbag

I have had a Whirlpool 6th Sense Induction Hob in for repair for over a year and now I am so over it. Its only 3 yrs old. Now I am being fucking ignored. Customer Uncare is their buzz word!!

7. goat999

goat999 town drunk

You're telling us. I remember when my dryer took a shit on me and I joined Wackbag. You can breathe easy, though. You are among friends now.

domelogic and Mags like this.
  8. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh

Nice try, cop. You're not the first flatfoot that's tried to infiltrate our gang with an appliance-related cover story. Take a hike, ya lousy screw.

lajikal likes this.
  9. Mags

Mags Edgelord
    Donator

I joined Wackbag back in '04 when my Conair blow dryer started to smell like burning hair. Turns out all I had to do was clean out the little air filter thingy.

Welcome, friend.

10. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh

I joined wackbag in '06 when the bread wouldn't rise in my Cuisinart breadmaker. Turns out, it was making unleavened bread, because I had it set to 'Jew'.

That was 11 yars ago, I'm still here, and I cry myself to sleep every night.

Fuck off, cop.

Stig likes this.
  11. Stig

Stig America's Most Beloved Entertainer

Aren't ALL of these brands made by GE? Because GE appliances are absolute dogshit.

Yes, I'm a cranky old man. But most of my major appliances are mostly over 20 years old, and don't have one motherboard or an LED among them. And they all work great. Only exception is air conditioners. And the GE one I bought several years ago was returned after it's third motherboard replacement. That was two months.
    LG on the other hand - smooth sailing.

#36 Stig, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  12. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Really there are only a few manufacturers that just change a knob or a panel to brand it as a whatever...

13. Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff

From what I understand, GE makes GE. The brands I listed are all under the same Whirlpool umbrella. I've always been happy with Kitchenaid, LG, Samsung, and Kenmore Elite (OEM=LG or Kitchenaid).

Current house had a whole suite of Frigidaire stuff when I bought it. Dishwasher sucked, but I wasn't going to replace it until it died. It did, so I bought a Bosch dishwasher last weekend. I was all set to buy another Kitchenaid because that's what we had at the old place and my wife loved that machine. But, the sale was too good on the Bosch. Install got put off because of Irma.

14. Stig

Stig America's Most Beloved Entertainer

I do know that a lot of Kenmore stuff is Whirlpool or GE. There's another name that has become worthless.

15. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

And like Hot Point, Fridgeaire etc... the warsher I had at the gulag I think it was a Whirlpool but could use parts from two or three other brands... man I kept that thing going for like 5 years with minimal expense well right up until I guess a bearing started leaking grease and would live brown stains on clothing... said fuck it and got a front loader.

I bought top loader warsher for here... as I needed something bigger to wash comforters and shit.

16. chumpy

chumpy Neurological Anomaly
    Donator

You should have asked Vos where it is