OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Fuckin JERSEY is nuts, $9,000,000 for Salamander & Snake Tunnels on the GSP

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MJMANDALAY, Aug 1, 2007.

1. MJMANDALAY

MJMANDALAY Registered User

Snakes, frogs and salamanders may never be stuck in Shore traffic again.

The long-planned widening of the Garden State Parkway through the Pinelands will include a series of wildlife tunnels designed to let five threatened or endangered species of reptiles and amphibians pass safely from one side of the highway to the other.

The cost: $9 million.

The widening project will disrupt the habitats of 14 animals on the federal or state threatened or endangered species lists, a Turnpike consultant found.

Nine of the species are birds. But the other five -- the timber rattlesnake, the northern pine snake, the Pine Barrens tree frog, the Cope's gray tree frog and the eastern tiger salamander -- would have to slither, hop or walk through traffic to cross the newly widened Parkway if the "wildlife passages" weren't built.

"There's no harm in trying them (the tunnels) because we already divided the habitat of these species by building the Parkway in the first place," said Carleton Montgomery, executive director of the Pinelands Preservation Alliance, an advocacy group. "But we're skeptical about whether the passages will work in these circumstances."

If the tunnels are too long and dark and if the efforts to channel the wildlife into them fall short, the creatures might not use them, Montgomery said.

The Turnpike Authority plans to spend $135 million to widen the Parkway from two lanes in each direction to three between Toms River and Manahawkin, a stretch of 17 miles.

Because it might want to expand other sections of the Parkway in the future, the authority has applied for permits to widen the full 50-mile stretch of highway between Toms River and Somers Point.

The wildlife passages were not included in the authority's original plans. But because the new lanes will be built in a coastal zone, the agency needs a permit from the Department of Environmental Protection before it can break ground.

The DEP has made no final decision on the Turnpike Authority's permit request, and a DEP spokesman insists that until it does, it is inaccurate to say the department is requiring the authority to build the tunnels.

"No decision has been made in regard to the permit application," spokeswoman Karen Hershey said. "I'd be reluctant to say we're requiring them to build tunnels at this point."

But a January DEP report on the permit application advised Turnpike officials they would have to build the tunnels "to reduce the mortality of the critical wildlife" if they wanted to meet the permit requirements.

The report also spelled out the exact mileposts where the tunnels are to be installed, although the number and location have changed as a result of discussions between the Authority and the DEP since January, said Bruce Connor, the Turnpike Authority's project manager.

And officials at the Turnpike Authority certainly believe they are being told they will have to build the tunnels if they want their permits approved.

After an authority board meeting last week, Transportation Commissioner Kris Kolluri, who serves as board chairman, told reporters, "We will build these tunnels and do anything else we are required to do under the DEP process to get the permits approved for this project."

The tunnels the authority has agreed to install are 36-inch reinforced concrete pipes, said Connor, the project manager.

The bottom of the pipes will be about eight feet beneath the surface of the road. The pipes will run the full width of the road -- beneath both the existing four lanes and the two lanes that will be added during the widening.

There are two sections of the road where the tunnels will be installed -- from mileposts 58.7 to 63.3 and from 69.3 to 70.6, Connor said. Along those sections, 3-foot-high concrete walls will be installed to channel the critters into the passages.

Only the section of highway from mileposts 69.3 to 70.6 falls within the stretch of road where the authority plans to begin widening as soon as its permit is approved. The other section would be part of a future widening.

The Turnpike Authority also has agreed to fund a three-year program to monitor the success of the tunnels, Connor said.

Wildlife passages have been used on other highways in the state. A tunnel was built under Route 31 in Clinton as part of a Department of Transportation project. A wildlife crossing was built above Route 78 when the final stretch of that highway was built in the Watchung Reservation in the mid-1980s.

9 Million is what they tell you now, they should not spend one dime on this stupid shit.

HummerTuesdays waiting for your opinion :icon_mrgr

2. HummerTuesdays

HummerTuesdays Another girrrrl!!!

First, if the habitat is already divided, then why the fuck to we need tunnels? Are they crossing the road now? What am I missing?

Two, let's make the people that drive that stretch of the Parkway pay for this. Increase the tolls in that area, especially in the summer. Let's get the bennies to pay for it.

3. Razor Roman

Razor Roman Save the USH!

Glad to know Corzine is putting that extra sales tax to good use.

4. HummerTuesdays

Oh, and as long as we're pointing out the idiocy of Corzine & the rest of the elected officials, I'd like to bring this to light. http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007707270481

We can't balance the budget, we're being told that the state owes millions (billions?) to the state workers pension fund, and now he wants to BORROW MORE MONEY? What logical explanation is there? And how about the state help the researchers GET THEIR OWN FINANCING?

5. WhiskeyWhispers

WhiskeyWhispers I Want To Kill You All

Great, more lanes of douchebag drivers, like this fucking state doesn't have enough goddam highway.

6. poopiebottoms

poopiebottoms Sparkling Wiggles Lover

Wildlife bridges/tunnels are pretty commonplace out here.

7. NoSurviivors

NoSurviivors fmeinthea

We already have bridges for the deer over I 78. The slithery little effers should get the tunnels too.

We should also spend another few mil in signs & studies to make sure that they use these tunnels and bridges.

I smell a need for a new authority to oversee this as well. Perhaps we could put tolls up at these tunnels?

8. Sprite

Sprite permanent case of the Moooondays

Same state that couldn't pay for the upkeep on those graves.... :icon_roll

9. Razor Roman

BUT CORZINE IS A BUSINESSMAN! HE WILL RUN NJ LIKE A BUSINESS!!!

It's a load of crap. The state is nothing but a piggy bang for politicians and their realatives and cronies. And the same batch keep getting elected over and over and over again.

In 2003, I did not get a raise at all from the state. My paycheck went up slightly because of the Bush tax cuts. That year my union (CWA) called me and asked me to vote for Frank Lautenberg. They said he was against the Bush tax cuts that hurt us workers. I told them I already voted for Forrester, cause I assumed that becuase my paycheck had gone UP cause of the Bush tax cuts, that I should vote for someone in favor of them. They were mad at me. Oh well.

10. jackjack

jackjack Registered User

This is one of the many reasons bridges are left to rot rather than be fixed.
    When I lived in western MA, there was a bridge restoration project that took ten years to finish. The bridge was junk, and should have been replaced at a cost of about 30% of what was spent to renovate the existing piece of shit.
    Environmentalist douches prevented the new construction from happening.

As far as this story goes, the 9 mil was the compromise needed to shut said douches up. Without that, the permits needed to upgrade the highway wouldn't happen.

We aren't going to be able to fix our rotting infrastructure without some change in how we administer environmental policy. We need to do the right thing with respect to the environment, but do it smart and pick the right compromises.

11. thetick130

thetick130 Trying hard not to kill my dog

whens the last time a NJ state funded project was finished on time or on budget? 9 mil will eventually turn to 20 mil. for a goddamned faggoty critter tunnel?

12. HummerTuesdays

I was out with Roman this weekend...we think they should call it the "Snail Trail." :)

13. MJMANDALAY

MJMANDALAY Registered User

Exactly
    Look at the School fiasco a few years back. My company was one of the ones hired to fix all the screw ups. Original estimates are just given to get the job, double that price in this corrupt state, that's what it will cost you.

14. Razor Roman

It's especially ridiculous at the colleges.

We built a set of dorms on campus, the contractor screwed up, things didn't get done, and the buildings got so much mold damage that they had to be torn down.

Cost more to demolish them then it did to build them in the first place.

Go figure.

15. Vyce

Vyce Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.

See, it's shit like this that REALLY pissed me off about last week's bridge collapse, or should I say, the general liberal response to it.

"See, MMMMMMMAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN, if we weren't spending so much money on McBushitler's ILLEGAL BOGUS EVIL WAR, there'd be money to fix all of our bridges, MMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!"

Absolute horseshit. And there's why. Because this isn't some isolated incident. States are ALWAYS pissing away tax dollars on shit like this, so don't give me this dogshit line about how the Iraq War took away all of the money going in to infrastructure, because that's fucking nonsense. There's plenty of money available to deal with that, it's just getting flushed down the toilet on shit like this. We got shitty bridges and roads, but THANK GOD, the lil' froggies have their own tunnel system to travel through.

16. MAV

MAV Registered User

i havnt seen one deer at a deer crossing sign. how would these fuckers know how to use the tunnel?

17. Razor Roman

Yup... and they are the same people that were saying that we should have to at least "sacrifice" for the war by having service cuts or tax increases....

I'm sure not one line item in the federal budget has gone down since before the war. Everything is going up, up, up.

Another good point I heard brought up is how much do people complain being stuck in traffic for repaving projects... imagine how bad traffic would be if they started fixing all these thing lol.