Fuse in house blew.. pc down. We have a pc down.

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
Fucking sitting around in the a/c trying to watch tv while burning a disc on my computer. Fuse blew.. the a/c pulls when it kicks in sometimes and my lights usually dim but don't blow.

Anyway the fuse blew.. and the computer won't turn back on. I look behind and I see the little green light in the back is on. But when I hit button in front I got nuttin.

Is it a power supply? Can I just go out and by anyone from say best buy or radio shack? It's a Dell computer. I don't feel like dealing with or waiting for them to send me one.

Or.. could it be something else? Shit is broke.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
The power supply could have blown a fuse. I don't know if the fuse is accessible right from the back of the computer or if you need to open it. What model Dell is it?

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
Hold on... Using my technical knowledge, mixed with my patience and mechanical prowess, I just started pressing the button like a maniac while calling it names and it turned on.

Let's say it didn't turn on or let's say it may happen again. Should I get the power supply just in case so I have it on standby. Is there a better one that may help prevent this in the future? Any other parts I maybe should think of changing.

Oh yeah I am not gonna change the a/c to a dedicated 220 line. I am gonna move soon. So if move was your answer I agree.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Surge protect that bitch. That way the fuse that will blow in such a scenario will be the one in the surge protector as opposed to your computer's power supply. All my valuable shit is always plugged via surge protector.

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
The old house I lived in had power problems, constant power flips & no APC backup on my iMac. Eventually zapped the logic board, mac would just crash for no reason after a few hours. Couldn't fix it. Suffice to say, get yourself an APC.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Plug the computing machine into a different circuit than the air conditioning machine.

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
Thanks neon. It's a Dell xps 435 mt.

I have it on a surge protector. The ole Belkin surgemaster.

Guess it worked.

Since it came back on I was able to look up the service tag and see I still have 183 days left on my complete care warranty..

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Surge protect that bitch. That way the fuse that will blow in such a scenario will be the one in the surge protector as opposed to your computer's power supply. All my valuable shit is always plugged via surge protector.
This. And you dont even need the stupid overpriced shit, the run of the mill surge protector will do just fine.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
Get an Uninterrupted Power Supply. You need the voltage regulated when your A/C dims everything else on the circuit. You can get one for under $50 that will only have a couple minutes of runtime, but the main thing you need the UPS for is to prevent underpowering your shit. Still protect the output of the wall outlet with a cheap surge protector.

Easy solution and well worth the $

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
This. And you dont even need the stupid overpriced shit, the run of the mill surge protector will do just fine.
Yup. All it does is introduce a weak point into your electrical circuit that will fail before anything else does. That's not an expensive thing. You just need a power strip with a fuse in it. Nothing fancy.

MTJonny

Donator
Apr 24, 2009
Greater Seattle area
Hold on... Using my technical knowledge, mixed with my patience and mechanical prowess, I just started pressing the button like a maniac while calling it names and it turned on.

Let's say it didn't turn on or let's say it may happen again. Should I get the power supply just in case so I have it on standby. Is there a better one that may help prevent this in the future? Any other parts I maybe should think of changing.

Oh yeah I am not gonna change the a/c to a dedicated 220 line. I am gonna move soon. So if move was your answer I agree.
If it continues to act like a bitch then you probably blew some capacitors in the powersupply. $50 at Best Buy will get you a basic 250-300 watt powersupply which is all you need as long as you don't have a machine with a whole lotta extra gizmos. If it continues to act funny after then, check the motherboard for blown capacitors. If you find some, find a PC repair shop that does soldering. At the most it should be like $40-$50. When I did PC repair and would have someone bring in a computer and describe a scenario similar to yours I would open up the computer with them still there to show them the blown caps. Generally I would find them at least 50% of time.

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
Plug the computing machine into a different circuit than the air conditioning machine.

1 bedroom co-op. Not many other choices. + a wife and a 4 year old. Shit is crowded up in here.

But thanks for the uniterrupted power supply tip. Sounds like a good option not only for now but when I move also.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA

def sounds like the power supply. My old dell used to do the same thing. Every few months, the thing would fail on reboot and i would have to spend 5 min repeatedly hitting the button until it would come back to life

Atomic Fireball

Donator
Jul 26, 2005
Don't panic - we're gonna get through this. We're gonna turn this thing around.

[yt]lYWRdXMp8eI[/yt]

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I gave my parents' old Dell to a buddy and the same thing happened to him. There was a power outage while the computer was on, and once the power was restored we couldn't get the computer to turn back on regardless of what we tried. Assumed it was fried, but the next day he just randomly hit the power button and it turned back on.

Uninterrupted power supplies are pretty nice. I bought one because my ISP thought electrical fluctuations (or something like that) in my house was screwing with the modem... the USP would keep the current steady. However, if there's a black/brown out, it automatically shuts your computer down correctly. I don't even have that set up on my computer because it's a laptop and can stay on for six hours without power, but it would be helpful if you own a desktop.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
Kk, does your dell have an illuminated power button? If so, when it wouldn't fire up, was it green or amber? When mine was having issues, it would be amber.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Kk, does your dell have an illuminated power button? If so, when it wouldn't fire up, was it green or amber? When mine was having issues, it would be amber.
The lamp was amber?
[yt]L35QuznMon0&oref[/yt]

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
When I hit the button and it didnt turn on it would flash amber for a second.

When I hit it repeatedly and it did turn on it was also amber instead of white.. but eventually went to white when it started up. Its white now.

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
so in addition to the UPS should I replace the power supply while its working. If I don''t am I just waiting for the inevitable?

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
If I were you, I would take the time to figure out the exact ps you want and if you can handle being without a computer for a few days, then just wait until it happens again.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
If it continues to act like a bitch then you probably blew some capacitors in the powersupply. $50 at Best Buy will get you a basic 250-300 watt powersupply which is all you need as long as you don't have a machine with a whole lotta extra gizmos. If it continues to act funny after then, check the motherboard for blown capacitors. If you find some, find a PC repair shop that does soldering. At the most it should be like $40-$50. When I did PC repair and would have someone bring in a computer and describe a scenario similar to yours I would open up the computer with them still there to show them the blown caps. Generally I would find them at least 50% of time.
Seems like bad caps on motherboards were way more common about 5-10 years ago, remember reports of a bunch of bootleg caps getting flooded into the electronics market. This directly hit the motherboard makers and the power supply makers for TVs.

Kidconnor,

As others have said sure does seem like a power supply issue since that is what takes the brunt of a power surge/brownout/blackout etc... If you wanted to run a test try unplugging the computer for about the same amount of time that it took you to swap out the fuse (fuse really? not a breaker?). Then power it back on and see if you get the same result. Sometimes a piece of equipment in the initial stages of failing might work OK when cold (like unplugged for extended period of time) or when hot (up and running for extended period of time) not talking about room temperature. Yours just may be a case of not wanting to work properly when cold, hard to say when or if there will be a problem again.

Of course of all the spare parts to have on hand a power supply is a good one, as long as you get the newer ones and at a decent wattage. If you dont run high end graphics cards or especially multiple graphics cards most new systems dont really need more than 400-500 watts. Holding on to a power supply too long may not be that great either as PCs are slowly evolving as hardware changes like more current on certain voltages or special power plugs for motherboard and graphics, though adapters work in most cases.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Get a battery backup unit (it prevents sudden shutdown and provides surge protection). And it's time to also change your power supply, this one's probably done. Power supplies should be changed periodically anyway.
Should I get the power supply just in case so I have it on standby.
No, you should get the power supply and install it right away.