OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Future Classic Cars?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by ShooterMcGavin, Mar 18, 2013.

1. ShooterMcGavin

ShooterMcGavin Go back to your shanties.

I've been thinking about classic cars and cannot point to any that exist after 1990.

The term "classic car" makes me think of mostly shit from 1985 and earlier. Nobody ever thinks, "Man, I'd really like me a 1994 Toyota Camry as a fixer-upper."

Please prove me wrong. I can't think of anything made through the 90s and today that will ever become a future "classic."

Maybe a Ford Crown Vic?

2. LiddyRules

LiddyRules I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy

3. tattered

tattered Uber-Aryan
    Wackbag Staff

Fox body mustangs (79-93), late 80s early 2000s camaro/firebirds are still heavily used in the drag scene and in some circles are already considered classics as they were the last of classic small-block V8 (302, 305, and 350) powered pony cars.

4. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Late 80s and early 90s 300Z. Any C5 or newer Corvette.

5. Cunt Smasher

Cunt Smasher Caligula Jr.

First thing I thought of was a 5.0 Mustang. How about first gen Vipers?

6. tattered

tattered Uber-Aryan
    Wackbag Staff

Yup those too. Also the late 90s Toyota Supra and 90s-2000s Mitsubishi 3000gt

7. tattered

tattered Uber-Aryan
    Wackbag Staff

Ehhhhhhh vipers not so much. Limited production and high price takes it out of classic more of a collector car. Classics (to me anyway) were readily available to everyone with a moderate price tag. Corvette is in there because the base model price isn't outrageous

8. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

F-150 Lightnings

9. Cunt Smasher

Cunt Smasher Caligula Jr.

Good one. Ss454 not so much.

10. Motor Head

Motor Head HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL

Mid 90's Supra *These are selling used for close to what they cost new*
    Corvette ZR-1/Gran Sport *these cars are already selling for more then what they cost if they are in mint condition*
    LT1 and LS1 SS Camaro and WS6 Trans Am *drifting up in value based on build numbers - rare colors skyrocketing (see purple Trans Am)*
    B4C Police Package Camaros - These could be a mover, I know a guy with a 1999 NSP retired patrol car that has turned down $20K for a full marked version complete with lighting.
    1st Gen Viper GTS
    Ford Lightening F-150 *drifting up in value*
    1993 Mustang Cobra *Drifting up in value*
    Nissan NSX
    Camaro IROC Z - 350CID
    1988 Turbo Trans Am Anniversary (3.6L Turbo Charged Motor) *The value of these cars in mint condition has skyrocketed*
    1986-1987 Buick Grand National *Selling for more then they cost new with low miles and in good condition*
    1987 Buick GNX *Good luck finding one for less then twice the sticker price*
    Ferrari and Lamborghini - Duh, their low build #'s make them hold value for years then eventually go up based on the rarity of the model.

Sorry, but I seriously doubt any 305 CID Camaro or Trans Am will ever be a classic. The motors were anemic and notorious oil burners because their valve seals were shit. As far as other imports, you can forget ever getting a premium price for anything other then the top of the line imports, mainly the Supra, NSX and Skyline.

#10 Motor Head, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  11. Motor Head

Motor Head HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL

What a poor execution of a good idea. That 454 peanut ported motor was the biggest debacle in GM's recent history. They also made a limited # of Big Block Camaros. They were slow, and nose heavy like a bitch.

12. lajikal

lajikal Registered User

Ford Tempo.
    [​IMG]
    (Neighbor's wife)

13. NikkorTheMonk

NikkorTheMonk Registered User

14. MetalBender

MetalBender I like fistables.

Jeep Cherokee is pretty popular and the straight six is now unavailable. Known to be one of the best built drivetrains ever.

Side note: my cousin just picked up a '92 Supra Turbo with a targa top, new .30 over engine, turbo and wastegate, with coilovers for $500! The thing is a rocket. Feels like a hammer hitting in the ass after every shift. 3rd gear @ 55 just lights tires.

15. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Registered User

Honda S2000

I also think it depends on what you consider "classic". I think a BMW 2002 is classic, when others won't consider a anything from the 70s without a V8. In that vein, you could probably argue for something like an Integra GSR or even a Miata for it being a celebrated "drivers car".

Just about any BMW M car or AMG Benz. Although they are limited production. E39 5 series are already classic if you ask a BMW guy.

Chino Kapone likes this.
  16. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

AMG Benzes lose their value faster than any car short of a Yugo. No idea why, but they do.

Miata and S2000 are great additions though.

17. Chino Kapone

Chino Kapone Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?

Nissan NSX... That's a new one to me... :action-sm

Also, I've seen a few GNX's commanding $100k in mint+ condition. That car is just so sick.

I'm sorry, but the Cavalier SS should never be considered... Never. That car brought shame to the GTO. Yeah, great numbers, but that's it. That car was a plastic turd. In the future, it may MAY gain a classic cult following, but I doubt it will ever be held in high regards.

Alright, Fox body's have been covered, and I like the addition of the sduece.

Also, I'd like the throw out the 94-95 mustang 5.0. The last of the 5.0's of the mid 90s.

The BMW M3 E30 is one that will keep going up and up in value. One of the best lookin beamers of all time IMO.
    [​IMG]

Mid 90's impala ss that haven't been nigged out will forever be classics.
    Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - Good luck finding one that hasn't been riced to death. Unlike other eclipses the GSX was turbo'd with AWD. Scary fast with just a few mods. Most of the DSM's of that era are very highly saught after and hard to find as well.
    [​IMG]
    Also, while talking about Mitsubishi the EVO will be a classic in 15-20 years. It is hard to find one in good shape used, that isn't commanding a $20k+ price tag.

GMC Syclone/Typhoon
    [​IMG]

06 MINI Cooper GP - only 2000 made worldwide, only some 400+ made it to the states. Last year of the supercharged model. Holding their value well.
    [​IMG]

And an oddball one is the BMW Z8. Car collectors are snatching them up and holding on to them. They are going for what they went for new and more. $100k+ for one of the ugliest bmw's of all time.
    [​IMG]

#17 Chino Kapone, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  18. Gorilla Pimp

Gorilla Pimp Popped a molly i'm sweatin, WOO

Chevy s10 blazer.
    [​IMG]

19. somnarium

somnarium deftones or somefuckin' body

Re-introduction of the Thunderbird.
    [​IMG]

It was never my thing but I gave Ford credit for trying something different at the time and the retro styling was certainly appealing to some.

This thread has done a good job of picking out some that I had forgotten.

Sadly, a lot of cars after 1990 through 2003 became cookie cutter and cheap. There wasn't much uniqueness around.

Anything newer than 2003 I think is too new to be a classic, though some cars are certainly emerging as clearly better than others though.

20. somnarium

That particular one is nice and well-maintained, but they're a dime a dozen and nothing about them is especially nice to me.

Not saying I wouldn't drive one as a daily driver, but I should hope it wouldn't stand out as a classic from the era.

EDIT: You know I'm thinking, this is really the era of the SUV, and not many are sticking out as classic. The Jeep brand has a loyal following and the first Explorer was iconic enough to be classic I suppose. But will there be people in 20 years clamoring for an Expedition?

21. Gorilla Pimp

Gorilla Pimp Popped a molly i'm sweatin, WOO

Really? I like the looks of them. The s10 trucks look a little awkward but the Chevy s10 Blazer, GMC Jimmy are good looking vehicles to me.

22. somnarium

Well it is possible I am biased. My roommate had one that was a generation older than that and I was constantly picking him up on the side of the road. In the Blazer's defense, he was a moron.

23. Chino Kapone

Chino Kapone Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?

[​IMG]

24. tattered

tattered Uber-Aryan
    Wackbag Staff

The Supercharged Harley Davidson F150s

The F150 Raptor will be

25. tattered

tattered Uber-Aryan
    Wackbag Staff

Sorry drew but it will never be a classic. They handled like shit their engine was shit transmission shit transfer case shit axles shit. The only thing they got going is they look ok when their not in the shop