Futuretimeline.net

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
May 4, 2005
Long Island NY
http://futuretimeline.net/

Just discovered this site, I absolutely love this kind of stuff.

A timeline that speculates on future happenings from tomorrow to the end of the universe. I've been reading it all day and it fucks with your perspective big time.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
This is pretty fucking cool. I wonder how accurate it's going to turn out to be as it gets further out from present though...

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
The phrase "post capitalist society" leads me to believe this website is a pile of shit.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
It stands to reason that at some point, humanity will outgrow greed, and just work for the common good of all... so why not a post capitalist society? It'll probably happen right around the same time that humanity puts religion away for good.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
The phrase "post capitalist society" leads me to believe this website is a pile of shit.
Come on Don. It's not like we'll live to see it come true.
It's just mindless speculation that means nothing.
It's like a movie. Just entertainment.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
It stands to reason that at some point, humanity will outgrow greed, and just work for the common good of all... so why not a post capitalist society? It'll probably happen right around the same time that humanity puts religion away for good.
Sounds like a Star Trek scenario.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
Sounds like a Star Trek scenario.
Yeah, it does, but to me Star Trek always seemed to me to make the most sense. We have to outgrow greed at some point; this shit just ain't working anymore. We're hundreds, if not thousands, of years away from that point, but we will get there sooner or later, unless we destroy ourselves first, which frankly is the more likely outcome.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Not sure if serious.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Yeah, it does, but to me Star Trek always seemed to me to make the most sense. We have to outgrow greed at some point; this shit just ain't working anymore. We're hundreds, if not thousands, of years away from that point, but we will get there sooner or later, unless we destroy ourselves first, which frankly is the more likely outcome.
True but I'll never see it unless it's the destroy the world part.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
I'm absolutely serious. At some point we, as a species, will realize that this shit ain't working, and we'll slowly but surely start to change. Or we'll blow ourselves away. One or the other.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
I'd say he's serious. Once we outgrow religion and realize that
to survive people need to work for the common good, things
will get better. It'll just never happen in our lifetime or the next
several thousand years.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
We have to outgrow greed at some point; this shit just ain't working anymore.
Is this the fucking reason you haven't opened the safe yet, you hippie cunt?

:action-sm

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Humans won't outgrow greed because greed is a vice. Your desire to attain more for yourself isn't greed. Greed is only when the desire to attain more for yourself leads you to do forbidden things (I use the word "forbidden" here because there are many forms of greed that don't break any laws but are unethical or unacceptable in society).

I think post-capitalism, when it comes, will be more about inter-group economics where every group is motivated to better the position of all members of that group, with a certain inter-group hierarchy. Like say humans colonize 100 planets. Each of those planets will exploit the unique resources of said planet in raw materials trade and also scientific innovation, and engage in economic relations with other planets doing the same, and the better they are, the better the quality of life on their planet. So obviously each planet will have a certain hierarchy depending on their positions within the local economy, but say in this system, every "dollar" (monetary unit) that comes via interstellar import is fed back into the planet's infrastructure, social programs, and whatnot, which also motivates everyone to export more and better commodities and services. In this scenario, the rich get richer, and by extension make the poor on their planet richer as well.

I don't know shit about economics and this is about as basic a premise as you can posit, but humanity is less likely to become uniform, thus motivating people to help the entire group. It is more likely to split into groups that work to better the position of the group.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I'm absolutely serious. At some point we, as a species, will realize that this shit ain't working, and we'll slowly but surely start to change. Or we'll blow ourselves away. One or the other.
How is it not working? Our quality of life is constantly getting better, our life expectancy is rising, technology is improving at an exponential rate, etc.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
How is it not working? Our quality of life is constantly getting better, our life expectancy is rising, technology is improving at an exponential rate, etc.
And we're living under the threat of terrorism and having our government
try and kill our rights at every move. Things could be better.

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
May 4, 2005
Long Island NY
Implants, nanotech, invisibility, antigrav, teleportation, singularity and superintelligent AI
and eventually terraforming, interstellar travel, transhumanism, unlimited energy, immortality

But we'll fuck the earth up pretty good. Looks like the 21st century is spectacular technologically but a shit show ecologically.

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
I have a feeling capitalism is gonna be the key. Do none of you think if Google could turn a profit from exploring space they wouldn't? Instead of Star Trek, I'm thinking it's going to be more like Aliens. Mega corps running shit like they do now.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming

Facepalm.jpg

Rangers484

Chia Obama, WTF?
Jan 14, 2006
East Coast
I am convinced their future timelines are accurate. Look how accurately they predicted the past from 2000-2013, :meh:

Discoman

Donator
Feb 21, 2010
New York