FX To Split Into Three Channels- Stupid Or Really Stupid?

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/fx-officially-unveils-fxx-channel-to-launch-in-september/

Even though they have a bunch of interesting sounding shows in the pipeline (including one from Charlie Kaufman) this sounds utterly ridiculous

FX Officially Unveils FXX Channel To Launch In September, New Branding Campaign

By NELLIE ANDREEVA | Thursday March 28, 2013 @ 6:34am PDTTags: FX, FXX, John

At its upfront presentation, FX brass confirmed the conversion of Fox Soccer into a third FX-branded entertainment network, FXX, available in 74 million homes, and an expansion of FXM (movie channel). It will launch September 2. The expansion across the three FX networks will be supported by a big increase in original programming. FX president John Landgraf projected that FX would double its original offerings to 25 original series within the next few years to achieve parity with ABC, NBC and CBS.

As part of the new FXX, the network today also renewed three FX comedy series — flagship It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia, The League and Legit — that will help launch FXX, along with late-night show Totally Biased With W. Kamau Bell, which will expand to five nights a week when it moves to the new network September 2. The plan for FXX is to start with four original comedy series and one late-night show; the fourth original comedy will likely come from one of FX’s half-hour pilots, FX president John Landgraf said. The new network’s original offerings will go up to six comedy series by the second year and to gradually introduce dramas.

The three channels will target different demographics. FX will continue to cater to adults 18-49, FXX will target adults 18-34 and FXM will go after adults 25-54. “They will share DNA and similar sensibilities for viewers interested in smart, cutting-edge programming”, Landgraf said. FX will ramp up its drama portfolio from 3 to 7 dramas and 4-6 comedies. FXM’s original programming will be built around limited-event series, part of FX-Fox’s joint initiative in the genre.

The network makeover will come with a new branding campaign as FX changes its logo to FX Fearless.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
really stupid.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Three seems they are spreading themselves a bit too thin. They should have done two initially and seen how it went.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Three seems they are spreading themselves a bit too thin. They should have done two initially and seen how it went.
Especially considering how their movie offerings aren't exactly anything to write home about. The miniseries could have gone on FX Drama

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
This has been in the works for about 6 months now.

Why did they do this move? Because NBC now has the EPL.

So they are trying something different here. So Fox Soccer wouldnt really have much programming until the World Cup in 2018.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
This has been in the works for about 6 months now.

Why did they do this move? Because NBC now has the EPL.

So they are trying something different here. So Fox Soccer wouldnt really have much programming until the World Cup in 2018.
Yes. Making my DVR have a conniption while I have to travel to the 500s to catch Archer with the hopes that I have FOX Soccer on my line-up.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
I guess this solves my problem of not having Fox Soccer in HD...sorta.

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
Yes. Making my DVR have a conniption while I have to travel to the 500s to catch Archer with the hopes that I have FOX Soccer on my line-up.

They are in talks with the cable systems and have been in talks with them. This has coincided with making sure speed and fuel are grouped with the sports channels come launch time. They are doing the same with FXX.

Maybe people should complain about that after the channel launches. ( If it hasnt changed by then ) Since so much is in flux now.

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
Small local company called Craw-Kan.

oh ok. I'll see if I hear anything when info gets released to us at work. If I hear anything on it. I'll post.

You had the problem with NBC sports and the olympics too right? Or am I thinking of someone else

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
oh ok. I'll see if I hear anything when info gets released to us at work. If I hear anything on it. I'll post.

You had the problem with NBC sports and the olympics too right? Or am I thinking of someone else
That was me. I really should change.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
How can anyone shit on this idea? We're getting rid of a soccer channel and getting more original programming from the people behind FX home to many of our favorite shows, how is this bad?

Soccer will move over to the Fox Sports Network. for the people that care about that

FX is going to have more Dramas. This new channel will have more FX type comedies. They're also going to be running reruns of Fallon and Parks and Rec.

More original content from people who do it right is always welcome.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
My head hurts after reading that article.

Edit:

Why couldn't thekidslepthere write that article. He did a much better job at explaining things.

I think the only negative I see is outside of The Americans, FX hasn't really been hitting homeruns in the drama department lately. So it may take them awhile to program FX proper.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
How can anyone shit on this idea? We're getting rid of a soccer channel and getting more original programming from the people behind FX home to many of our favorite shows, how is this bad?

Soccer will move over to the Fox Sports Network. for the people that care about that

FX is going to have more Dramas. This new channel will have more FX type comedies. They're also going to be running reruns of Fallon and Parks and Rec.

More original content from people who do it right is always welcome.
Yeah, I'm going with "Criticism of FX greatly expanding their original programming - Stupid, or really stupid?"

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
My head hurts after reading that article.

Edit:

Why couldn't thekidslepthere write that article. He did a much better job at explaining things.

I think the only negative I see is outside of The Americans, FX hasn't really been hitting homeruns in the drama department lately. So it may take them awhile to program FX proper.

I have to disagree with you. In the past few years. FX has had the following dramas.

Hits

Justified
AHS
Americans

Misses

Lights Out
Terriers

And I didnt really get the criticism either. More programming and original shows is a bad thing?

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
Terriers wasn't a miss. The public didn't watch it because it enjoys depriving me of shows that I find to be unique, fresh and entertaining.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I have to disagree with you. In the past few years. FX has had the following dramas.

Hits

Justified
AHS
Americans

Misses

Lights Out
Terriers

And I didnt really get the criticism either. More programming and original shows is a bad thing?
I'm talking about shows that debuted after Justified and Sons of Anarchy.

AHS had a great first season and a pretty good start to the second one. However that show went off the rails during the latter part of it. The Americans is off to a solid start and the two "misses" you have already mentioned.

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
I'm talking about shows that debuted after Justified and Sons of Anarchy.

AHS had a great first season and a pretty good start to the second one. However that show went off the rails during the latter part of it. The Americans is off to a solid start and the two "misses" you have already mentioned.

These are all dramas that debuted since 2010. Justified debuted in 2010. SOA - 2008. Lights out was 2011. Terriers was 2011.

They have had more comedies in the past few years - League, Louie, Wilfred, Anger Management , and Legit

They have a new drama coming out this summer - The Bridge. Which has some pretty good buzz. And they have a bunch of other shows in development.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
These are all dramas that debuted since 2010. Justified debuted in 2010. SOA - 2008. Lights out was 2011. Terriers was 2011.

They have had more comedies in the past few years - League, Louie, Wilfred, Anger Management , and Legit

They have a new drama coming out this summer - The Bridge. Which has some pretty good buzz. And they have a bunch of other shows in development.
Yes I know when those shows debuted.

Lights Out and Terriers are no longer on the air. While both shows showed potential, they lasted only one season and weren't renewed. What I was saying was before American Horror Story and the Americans, they had hit bit of a dry spell after the success of SOA and Justified.

I also know about the comedies because except for Anger Management, I watch them all.

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
Yes I know when those shows debuted.

Lights Out and Terriers are no longer on the air. While both shows showed potential, they lasted only one season and weren't renewed. What I was saying was before American Horror Story and the Americans, they had hit bit of a dry spell after the success of SOA and Justified.

I also know about the comedies because except for Anger Management, I watch them all.

I know lights out and terriers arent on the air. Thats why I listed them as Misses

As for the dry spell. Justified was in 2010. AHS was in 2011.

You have to remember. They arent like a regular network. They don't roll out a ton of new shows. NBC would kill to have FX's programming right about now.