GameStop named one of America's worst companies to work for

Voodoo Ben

You gotta wash your ass
Dec 5, 2010
Working around video games all day may seem like a dream job to some, but according to new data, working at GameStop is one of the worst options among all companies across the country.
Financial analysis and commentary website24/7 Wall Street recently published a list of "America's Worst Companies to Work For" with GameStop finishing in tenth place of eleven. The list was based on employee reviews gathered from Glassdoor, an online job and company community.
Other retail chains on the list include OfficeMax, Radio Shack, and Sears. Satellite broadcaster Dish Network was named the absolute worst company for employees. .
Specific concerns levied against GameStop included regular complaints that the company prioritizes sales above customer service. This is not the first time GameStop has been called out for its business practices. The retailer was cited in Consumer Reports' 2011 "Naughty List" for complaints over its return policies.
As of press time, GameStop had not responded to GameSpot's request for comment.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/gamestop-named-one-of-americas-worst-companies-to-work-for-6391521

still one of the worst places to buy a game.

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
But their employees are always so helpful and not at all condescending....

Other retail chains on the list include OfficeMax, Radio Shack, and Sears.
How are any Radio Shacks still open? Nobody I know has been inside one in the last 10 years or so.

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.
Went in there and got my kid a $20 used DS game. Declined 3 different 'Pay more and get this random thing.' Finally cracked and said 'I want to give you this money, and take this out of the store. That's it.' Got a blank stare and they rang it up. Have to speak like you're talking to a waterhead. Will do that next time.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
How are any Radio Shacks still open? Nobody I know has been inside one in the last 10 years or so.
They're for anyone over 45 years old who also doesn't know how to change their voicemail pin code, or for people who live in small towns.

I'll go into Radio Shack 1-2 times a year if I need a cable or something immediately, because it's a 20 mile drive to Target or Wal-Mart.

icculus1284

May 16, 2007
Fort Collins
Aren't next-gen consoles moving to strictly selling games via download anyway?

GameStop may not be around much longer.

porch24

Nov 20, 2009
Mass
My brother as well. He decided he had enough and then was given the keys to close the store one night. He filled as much shit into as many bags as he could carry out. Locked the place up and threw the keys back in and walked away. This was about 10 years ago. We had 3 PS2 and tons of games and accessories.

icculus1284

May 16, 2007
Fort Collins
My brother as well. He decided he had enough and then was given the keys to close the store one night. He filled as much shit into as many bags as he could carry out. Locked the place up and threw the keys back in and walked away. This was about 10 years ago. We had 3 PS2 and tons of games and accessories.
How long before he was arrested? How could he lock up and then throw the keys back into the store?

porch24

Nov 20, 2009
Mass
How long before he was arrested? How could he lock up and then throw the keys back into the store?
He got away with it, tried it again at a KB Toys but got caught because he continued to work there after he stole stuff. It was a GameStop in the mall. He shut the gate, locked it and threw the keys through the gate.

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
I go in there now and then (there're a couple in the local malls). At my transitional apartment, after I sold one house and before I moved into this home, I needed to use a flat coax bridge to get the feed from my satellite dish into the apartment through the sliding glass door without damaging anything. Radio Shack has little weird shit like that. It's overpriced, of course, but for random specialty items that you don't want to wait a few days for, it works. How they survive on that kind of random purchasing, I have no fucking clue.

And I'm not surprised Dish Network is #1 on that list. I worked for them as a college job for a little bit. I figure most of the employees have call center jobs, and call center work just sucks a dick. I had calls from grannies who couldn't figure out which box was their satellite receiver, or which remote control was their satellite remote. It was excruciating.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
But their employees are always so helpful and not at all condescending....

They still have a significant presence here in NYC. There are 3 within walking distance from my apartment. Its where I go to buy earbuds.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
They still have a significant presence here in NYC. There are 3 within walking distance from my apartment. Its where I go to buy earbuds.
Yep and they're back to asking your name and phone number again when they ring you up. Remember they'd stopped that?

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
I've never had a bothersome or bad experience at either of my local Gamestops.

Also, porch, you're full of shit. There's no way your brother got away with that if everyone knew he was the one that was closing.

God Loves Fags

A clear and dusty day in June
Feb 1, 2011
Brooklyn
Yep and they're back to asking your name and phone number again when they ring you up. Remember they'd stopped that?
They're up to something!!!

It's weird, I live on the southern end of 5th avenue in Brooklyn, and so many great businesses (bars, restaurants, jazz clubs) have been closing, and fucking GameStops keep popping up, and the ones that are already there are expanding. It's just empty stores and then huge GameStops. Jizz.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
They're up to something!!!

It's weird, I live on the southern end of 5th avenue in Brooklyn, and so many great businesses (bars, restaurants, jazz clubs) have been closing, and fucking GameStops keep popping up, and the ones that are already there are expanding. It's just empty stores and then huge GameStops. Jizz.
Hipsters love video games. I wonder if Gamestop sells 8 bit stuff.

God Loves Fags

A clear and dusty day in June
Feb 1, 2011
Brooklyn
Hipsters love video games. I wonder if Gamestop sells 8 bit stuff.
Hey mahhnn, it's good for your hand-eye coordination, mahn.

A lot of bars in Williamsburg have super old school game systems that you can mess with, with a basket of old games for you to choose from. And there's this big bar called 'Barcade' with a bunch of 70s and 80s arcade games. It's pretty cool, until you spend five minutes playing them, and realize that we don't have Contra, Frogger, Tapper, Pac Man, etc around anymore for a reason...

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
Took my girl to a radio shack the other day to buy a VGA cable for a monitor I gave her. We only went there because it was across the street from dunk'n doughnuts and its a 40 minute ride to the nearest best buy or Wal-mart. The guy must have asked her 100 questions for their data base (D.O.B, Address, Phone number,).. At one point I said "Hun lets go before he breaks out the stirrups and asks for a pap smear". He wasn't amused but she got a good laugh out of it.

silentbob8201

Jun 29, 2005
I've never had a bothersome or bad experience at either of my local Gamestops.

Also, porch, you're full of shit. There's no way your brother got away with that if everyone knew he was the one that was closing.
Well i had a recent experience getting a DS game for the nephew. They had to make a snarky comment about the game i was buying just because it was an Aliens game. Eh Fuck em, They're worse then a Comic Shop if you bring in a pretty girl with ya.

Oct 16, 2008
Parma, OH
Gamestop is terrible. The only way they survive is off of the used market. They'll give you $6 for a game that's a month old and turn around and charge $55 for it. A couple years ago I went in and got a new Arkham Asylum and a used Modern Warfare 2. The guy asked if I wanted to switch to a used Arkham and I told him no and he couldn't grasp why. It boiled down to a used Batman only being $5 cheaper and the money from a new game would go to the small studio that made it and MW2 was $20 cheaper and one of the top selling games of all time. It took about 5 minutes for him to stop asking me to switch to a used Arkham and his attitude of confusion bugged me.

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
I guess it's very possible that I only have good experiences because I went to school with the girl that works at the one closest to me and used to party with one of the guys at the one farther from me. When I was standing in line for my standard edition of ME3 ("DUMB ASS IT SUCKED") she sent me a text from inside the store and told me when I come in to pick mine up to just hang out in the store for a minute because they found a CE (that I made it clear to her I wanted days before) and that they'd bump me to the top of the CE list and let me have it. So what was a good experience for me was a bad experience for whomever was actually at the top of the list.

I did receive a snarky comment one from the guy I partied with once, but I deserved it - I bought one of the worst Harvest Moon DS games of all time.

pink soccer

I bring nothing to the table
Jul 23, 2008
Southern Cal.
I never understood all the hate for game stop. Maybe Im just lucky, but my local game stop is cool. Ive never had any problems with them at all. I just helped my dad buy his first console system since the Playstation 1 and I suggested going to game stop for used games and they were able to help him pick out a few that he has been really happy with.