Gangland on History Channel

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
This show is on tonight. If you haven't seen it yet, it's a well made look at gangs and where they came from. Check it out. If you missed it on the east coast, you should be getting close to the replay.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
I caught an episode last week about the Mexican Mafia. It was pretty good, except that it made me want to move out of LA.

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
I caught an episode last week about the Mexican Mafia. It was pretty good, except that it made me want to move out of LA.

well the show on the latin kings wasnt inspiring either. especially since they talked about sending drugs and guns to my hometown of allentown pa. i knew we had alot of hispanics but it is great to know they are being supplied by new york. you should check this one out since a guy started the gang from prison and then ran the gang from prison on the outside. he communicated by writing letters(which the police copied some 20k of them) and gave detailed instructions on what to do.

this series of shows has been pretty good and focuses on gangs I didnt even know existed.

I watched the episode on Cabrini greens last night. Pretty interesting about the 10th floor with all the tunnels and holes in the walls. They could take a sniper shot at a cop, run through the tunnels and be in a different building and home free by the time the cops get up there. And they wonder why people hate them. The best part was when they got torn down and had "Mixed income housing" built in its place. I'm all for the Gov'ment taking their shit away if they can properly use it and respect it.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Yeah I started watching this show recently and what also makes it well done, is the narrator. The narrator of a documentary really helps with the flow of the show. Just watch either Lost Worlds or Monsterquest and you will know what I'm talking about. Another thing about Gangland, it makes you realize that alot of gangs started as a positive force in many communties, then gradually turn into the destructive forces they are today.

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
I watched the episode on Cabrini greens last night. Pretty interesting about the 10th floor with all the tunnels and holes in the walls. They could take a sniper shot at a cop, run through the tunnels and be in a different building and home free by the time the cops get up there. And they wonder why people hate them. The best part was when they got torn down and had "Mixed income housing" built in its place. I'm all for the Gov'ment taking their shit away if they can properly use it and respect it.

at least this show is honest in showing that the project buildings that they originally built were kept clean and somewhat neat. then they started talking about the amount of blacks that needed a place to live because of the influx. it continued to say how the new buildings didnt look so new in a short amount of time. they also mentioned how bad our system is by giving more money to those that had more kids but the father wasnt around.

the tunnels were crazy since someone had to be living in those apartments. the mayor giving the gangs a great idea by having the back entrance welded shut. remember folks this is our money at work here, what a great way to spend it.

Palerider4146

The Death Medic
Sep 22, 2002
Hazlet, NJ
Coming from a NYC Paramedic who actually tried to do some outreach work with the Latin Kings, the series has really interested me. Sad to say my attempts to help did shit though.

grail

Tahini sauce in my drawers
Sep 24, 2005
MN
I like the show and need to dvr the other episodes. So far I've only caught the tail end of the one on latin kings and the one on the skin heads. It's not the H channel for nothing.

JMCC

Oct 4, 2004
I like the show. I haven't seen the one about the Latin Kings though.

Its pretty amazing how most of the gangs leaders are in jail, you would think that once you're in jail, you would lose most of your "power," but its the other way around, if you go to jail you get even more power.

Jambi

Infidel
Nov 29, 2006
FL
So far my favorite is the episode about the Aryan Brotherhood. A definite must-see. The MS-13 episode made me want to kill all young latinos on sight.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I found another reason to like this show last night. If you look at the program guide, they only give the title of the epsidoe. Last night's was called "Basic Training". Before it started, I'm think its going to about some gang's rites of passage. Holy shit, I was wrong. Last night's episode not only is the best one so far, it might be the most troublesome one too. I don't want to say to much, becaue I'm not sure who hasn't seen it yet, but who knew last night's subject was an actual problem.

OandAFanInDC

holla holla holla holla
Mar 4, 2002
Fairfax VA
I have every episode dvr'd best show on tv hands down loved the race wars in la one and the gangster city.

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
I've been analyzing that show for work... it seems to be doing pretty good ratings.

OandAFanInDC

holla holla holla holla
Mar 4, 2002
Fairfax VA
its thursdays at 9 the new ones air its also on history channel ondemand if you missed any

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
I just checked it out and it seems to be doing quite well in New York (I do tv research in the New York market exclusively). It definitely appears to be skewing more male, which is to be expected since the History Channel skews more male overall anyway.

I *could* look up how it's doing nationally, but the program we use for national ratings is a bitch to use and I kind of don't feel like fucking with it right now. :action-sm

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I just checked it out and it seems to be doing quite well in New York (I do tv research in the New York market exclusively). It definitely appears to be skewing more male, which is to be expected since the History Channel skews more male overall anyway.

I *could* look up how it's doing nationally, but the program we use for national ratings is a bitch to use and I kind of don't feel like fucking with it right now. :action-sm
Nah that's okay, now I can see why they're running a marathon on Saturday.

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
Nah that's okay, now I can see why they're running a marathon on Saturday.
Yeah, from my experience, it appears as though a lot of cable networks will run marathons when a show has become popular -- if it doesn't do good ratings, then why waste an entire day of programming on it? A definite example of this is how Bravo will run Project Runway marathons like on a regular basis. They want to milk it for all it's worth since it's their highest rated show.

NC Hallorann

I want candy!
Jul 26, 2005
6 1 2 Wharf Avenue
gangs in the military this week....good stuff.

monsterquest had the real hobbit...i think they are running out of monsters to quest......

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
gangs in the military this week....good stuff.

monsterquest had the real hobbit...i think they are running out of monsters to quest......
QFT on both topics. I had to punch out of that Monsterquest about the rods. Next week its about an American werewolf. I mean they are definitely stretching a little bit. As for the gangs in the military, that was just mindblowing for a variety of reasons.

H

Haulport

I will be buying this series on DVD AS SOON as I can! Friggin' awesome, awesome show!

Hysterectomeal

More like "Jew York"
Jul 10, 2007
Brookfield, IL
Chinese gangs this week. Watching it now; it's okay. The one they played before this about the Black P. Stones was pretty good. They said the leader of that gang was the first American charged with attempting a terrorist act on American soil. Also a brief shot of Jesse Jackson with the the leader. Hmmmm.