Garage Door Openers SUCK!!!

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
Chamberlain Belt Drive, pretty new, judging from condition/appearance (we just moved in and it was already here). The sucker won't close.

The lights blink out trouble codes - said sensors misaligned. Used levels and lasers and still nothing. Replaced the sensors but no go. Now the code says either wires reversed or broken wire. Triple checked the wires, I've got voltage to all wires, the only thing is the led's on the sensors themselves aren't lighting up like they should. Should be blinking if misaligned, solid if aligned - but only one sporadically blinks, and nothing out of the other one.

Anybody ever mess with one of these? I can't think of what else to try.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
If you have tried new sensors have you replaced the wiring to them? Double check wiring connections on the controller, move the sensors up to the ceiling with some short wires to test.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
or you could just take it off and get out and open the door by hand. too easy to break into garages with door openers

MetalBender

I like fistables.
Dec 20, 2009
New Orleans....Iowa
There is a button sequence to set limits, sounds like the problem. I believe you press and hold both then close to limit and open to limit. It's super simple to do but takes a few tries to get set right, the lights won't work if the sequence is not followed properly.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Did you check the continuity of the wiring to the sensors... as someone might have driven a staple through the wires from the sensor to the head.

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
If you have tried new sensors have you replaced the wiring to them? Double check wiring connections on the controller, move the sensors up to the ceiling with some short wires to test.
Did you check the continuity of the wiring to the sensors... as someone might have driven a staple through the wires from the sensor to the head.
I guess you both were right. I took two sensors, duct taped them together, and wired them directly to the motor - works like a charm now. The safety "pressure" sensor still works, so if I pass out under it and somebody closes the door, I shouldn't get crushed too badly. Limits are all spot on, so full open and full close is where they should be.

Had to be a broken wire, but I don't get why I still had the same voltage at the motor and at the sensors. This is why I am not allowed to work on my own stuff...

Thanks everybody!

Shootr

OOHHH, GNARLY!!!
Donator
Dec 9, 2005
Arizona
There is a button sequence to set limits, sounds like the problem. I believe you press and hold both then close to limit and open to limit. It's super simple to do but takes a few tries to get set right, the lights won't work if the sequence is not followed properly.
I messed with those for a while too, but I wasn't getting anywhere, so gave up on thinking that was the issue.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
The "good" voltage could be because the wire is loose or not completely broken yet, running new wires would prove that. Or they really were not aligned as you thought.