Garden 2017

I am thinking about doing Christmas tress here again... prob fit 2 thousand in if I want...

I do a garden every year...Last year was horrible as I don't think I got a single ripe tomato before the chipmunks chewed them up...Last year I put up rabbit fence around the entire garden which was a huge victory in stopping the rabbits and ground hogs from eating every sing sprout...I can't grow sunflowers anymore...They rip the fences down to eat the sprouts. They don't eat nightshades so peppers and tomatoes grow well...

I hope I get some tomatoes this year. I love oven roasted or margharita pizza...

I put 3 bags of manure down and tilled it all last weekend. I have 36 seedlings started for everything...Tomatoes, 4 diff Peppers, peas, swiss chard, romaine, cukes...Everything has sprouted except the peppers...I bought a Jiffy peat pellet greenhouse kit...I really like it so far. Great for starting the seedlings early indoors.

I live in mass so we are still in frost danger but my peas are already so big I think I am going to risk it and plant them....They grow fast.

NotSoFast

I do a garden every year...Last year was horrible as I don't think I got a single ripe tomato before the chipmunks chewed them up...Last year I put up rabbit fence around the entire garden which was a huge victory in stopping the rabbits and ground hogs from eating every sing sprout...I can't grow sunflowers anymore...They rip the fences down to eat the sprouts. They don't eat nightshades so peppers and tomatoes grow well...

I hope I get some tomatoes this year. I love oven roasted or margharita pizza...

I put 3 bags of manure down and tilled it all last weekend. I have 36 seedlings started for everything...Tomatoes, 4 diff Peppers, peas, swiss chard, romaine, cukes...Everything has sprouted except the peppers...I bought a Jiffy peat pellet greenhouse kit...I really like it so far. Great for starting the seedlings early indoors.

I live in mass so we are still in frost danger but my peas are already so big I think I am going to risk it and plant them....They grow fast.
Kill the chipmunks. Problem solved. You're welcome.

ysr50

Donator
A Jack Russell, or a outside cat would be a chipmunk murdering machine.
Best dog I've ever had was a Jack Russell, damn thing almost destroyed the house I lived in when she was a puppy. After all of the puppy issues were over she was as perfect as a person could possibly expect, but it took a lot of time and effort. I'll probably get another one eventually.

Haeder

South Dakota
Onions planted. 80 red onions and 80 sweet onions.

Potatoes tomorrow. 5 pounds each of Yukon gold, Pontiac red and Northland red.

Peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers and such won't get planted until late May when the weather is finally warm enough to make stuff grow.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
I'd love to do a garden but it's too hard to keep stuff growing here. Maybe if I get my sprinklers fixed I'll try planting something where it'll get a good blast from the sprinklers. But then again, we've only been able to do watering once-per-week since I've lived here.

My wife wants a mango tree. I might look into that. I can probably keep one tree going.

Haeder

South Dakota
I'd love to do a garden but it's too hard to keep stuff growing here. Maybe if I get my sprinklers fixed I'll try planting something where it'll get a good blast from the sprinklers. But then again, we've only been able to do watering once-per-week since I've lived here.

My wife wants a mango tree. I might look into that. I can probably keep one tree going.
Once a week is enough to water a garden.

After tilling the soil I rake rows of dirt about six inches high and a foot apart to create a trench that can be flooded. This allows me to soak the soil without getting the leaves of the plants wet. Keeps the roots wet and the fungus down.

Mulching with grass clippings also helps retain moisture and controls weeds.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Once a week is enough to water a garden.

After tilling the soil I rake rows of dirt about six inches high and a foot apart to create a trench that can be flooded. This allows me to soak the soil without getting the leaves of the plants wet. Keeps the roots wet and the fungus down.

Mulching with grass clippings also helps retain moisture and controls weeds.
I'm in Florida, so once a week watering isn't enough for anything. The sun's heat combined with the sandy soil means water doesn't stick around too long.

We're in a drought right now, complete with wildfires and such. In the middle of summer when we get a rainshower every day around 3-4pm it's easier. Otherwise, it's a challenge.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
I'm in Florida, so once a week watering isn't enough for anything. The sun's heat combined with the sandy soil means water doesn't stick around too long.

We're in a drought right now, complete with wildfires and such. In the middle of summer when we get a rainshower every day around 3-4pm it's easier. Otherwise, it's a challenge.

You need to use "drip irrigation" and timers, sprinklers waste way too much water, I used it last year in my container gardens and had great success, I'm going to expand that system this year to include my main garden where I had been using a soaker hose and a manual timer but the soaker hose did not the put out enough water in the right spots. The systems are relatively cheep as a kit, I built my first system for less than 50$ now that I'm confident that it's working correctly I'm redoing the entire system, using a 1/2" main trunk and 1/4 feed lines to individual plants so I can increase flow, I just bought 50 new spray heads which put out more water than the drip emitters but are better for plants with larger root systems.

I've also been looking into a computerized system that will run off of my raspberry pi (which is still sitting in a box of broken dreams) that's going to cost me some money to set up, but other people have done it successfully, using various sensors and break out boards available from adafruit, I've run completely automated systems in the past but had to use individual controllers for each aspect, it would be cool to just have one thing that controls everything as needed as opposed to running everything on a fixed cycle, also being able to log what happens during each event, so I can correct things, like over heats or drying out or over watering,

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
That's a good idea.

If I get my sprinklers fixed, I may add a branch to the system - a separate zone with drip irrigation. I have a decent sprinkler controller. Nobody would know if there's just some underground dripping going on. People get in trouble because neighbors video their sprinklers running on the wrong days or more than allowed. With the timestamp, they got you dead to rights.

But, I might upgrade to one of those fancy wifi-enabled controllers that I can control from my phone, etc.

I don't see much need to go to that extreme, as long as the water restrictions are in place, which they have been since before I moved down here.

THE FEZ MAN

That's a good idea.

If I get my sprinklers fixed, I may add a branch to the system - a separate zone with drip irrigation. I have a decent sprinkler controller. Nobody would know if there's just some underground dripping going on. People get in trouble because neighbors video their sprinklers running on the wrong days or more than allowed. With the timestamp, they got you dead to rights.

But, I might upgrade to one of those fancy wifi-enabled controllers that I can control from my phone, etc.

I don't see much need to go to that extreme, as long as the water restrictions are in place, which they have been since before I moved down here.
There might be an exemption for vegetable gardens, but you don't need to run the drippers off of a sprinkler controller a 30$ timer and a garden hose works just fine, for some plants regular sprinklers are actually bad because it can promote fungus issues

I bought my stuff from Amazon but this is a place to look at different systems

https://www.dripirrigation.com/

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
They really are kinda nutty around here regarding the sprinklers. I already have the controller. I can install a buried drip setup and just run it without anyone knowing. I don't want a hose running across the yard. There are too many nosey old folks zipping by my back fence and down my side fence on golf carts. They notice every little thing and have nothing better to do than make trouble for people.

As far as I know, the only thing really wrong with my sprinkler system beyond a few busted heads is the wiring from the house to the box in the yard with the control valves has rotted away. It wasn't in any kind of conduit and all the connections were just twisted and taped. I could pull new wiring but I can't make heads or tails of the connection scheme. A friend of mine here is really good friends with a sprinkler guy who won't rip me off. I'm just going to get him to get it all straightened out when I am ready.

Mumsie planted this last year... I mulched it this year...

One of my non janitor friends planted this and I mulched it...

Still working on lawn... bought a plug aerator and over seeded a bunch a few weeks ago and it seems to be taking... I'm sure @The Fat Horse is doing the same at his hovel...

THE FEZ MAN

I put a fence up around my garden to keep the chickens from tearing it up, so instead they tore up all my containers destroyed my artichoke I've been growing for two years.

TomC

uppity neobarb
I put a fence up around my garden to keep the chickens from tearing it up, so instead they tore up all my containers destroyed my artichoke I've been growing for two years.
PUT THE FUCKING CHICKENS IN A GOD DAMN FENCE!

THE FEZ MAN

PUT THE FUCKING CHICKENS IN A GOD DAMN FENCE!
I do have a coop, but I let them out of the coop during the day so they can wander the yard, they didn't tear up as much stuff last year, I ended up having to build covers for all the containers once the plants are established I will probably be able to remove the covers

NotSoFast

I do have a coop, but I let them out of the coop during the day so they can wander the yard, they didn't tear up as much stuff last year, I ended up having to build covers for all the containers once the plants are established I will probably be able to remove the covers
Not a coop. A fenced area a outside the coop so they can't fuck your garden up.

THE FEZ MAN

Not a coop. A fenced area a outside the coop so they can't fuck your garden up.
Meh I'm out of space and with the exception of them shitting on everything and the new thing of tearing up the container garden I actually like them wandering around

TomC

uppity neobarb
Meh I'm out of space and with the exception of them shitting on everything and the new thing of tearing up the container garden I actually like them wandering around
I was up to almost $20 a bag for chicken feed when I quit with them, eggs are $0.89 at Aldies and Dollar General. The mess was not worth it.

THE FEZ MAN

I was up to almost $20 a bag for chicken feed when I quit with them, eggs are $0.89 at Aldies and Dollar General. The mess was not worth it.
As these start to die off I don't think I'm going to replace them

THE FEZ MAN

Ahhh it's half assed harvest time for me, I've got enough cucumbers to actually make pickles this year, I'm going to do that probably today, I also have yellow squash, actually I have way too many, my Brussels sprouts were devoured by a combination of green worms and being overtaken by the squash that took over the entire garden, got a few large zucchini, my tomatoes are stunted badly I'm not exactly sure what went wrong I'm thinking they are not getting enough direct sunlight, all of my peppers are also stunted, so basically the only thing that grew is squash that I don't really like ahhhh boooooo

Haeder

South Dakota
My garden appears to be overflowing with tomatoes and potatoes right now. Peppers and cucumbers should be available soon. Onions did not grow well this year.

Fresh salsa is only a few weeks away.