Garden 2017

I have everything looking good right now, but a little bit behind. I've already had swiss chard, cucumbers, strawberries...basil, cilantro,italian parsley, sugar pea pods...all good. I hope to have cherry tomatos by monday. As far as the watering goes for those of you in restrictive areas..Poke a hole in one of the bottom "feet" of a 2 liter bottle. Fill the bottle with water and tighten the cap. It won't drip. Place the bottle next to your plant and loosent the cap. It will drip water 2L of water over 1/2 hour...Set up one for each plant. Very efficient watering.

blee

Will Drink Today
Got peas ready but the peas are bitter but the pods are sweet and delicious. Also have 5 huge zucchini. Peppers are almost ready. My onions, beans, and potatoes are growing fast. Had a hell of a time with lettuce and spinach this year. For some reason, they did not grow, both times I planted the bastards. Last year, my lettuce and spinach grew so good, I couldn't keep up with it.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Well Miguel the Gardner almost dropped dead from the heat today, holy fuck it was hot.

I got a bunch of large yellow squash, a zucchini, and 6 large cucumbers about the size of the ones you see floating around in the pickle juice at the deli, I killed off most of my smaller squash plants because of vine borrers, my corn is going well, and the wild card of the season? Asparagus..... I thought that I killed it but planted it anyway, and it is actually growing, I'm really curious about how it's going to turn out, we will find out next spring

lajikal

This landlady i knew said she had her own garden. But said it was expensive to maintain. Wonder if it makes much sense money-wise, or would it be considered more of a hobby/passion?

Edit: she lives in FL.

Last edited:
Well Miguel the Gardner almost dropped dead from the heat today, holy fuck it was hot.

I got a bunch of large yellow squash, a zucchini, and 6 large cucumbers about the size of the ones you see floating around in the pickle juice at the deli, I killed off most of my smaller squash plants because of vine borrers, my corn is going well, and the wild card of the season? Asparagus..... I thought that I killed it but planted it anyway, and it is actually growing, I'm really curious about how it's going to turn out, we will find out next spring
I too planted asparagus this season (it takes up to 3 years to start yielding any worthwhile spears) I had no idea that it sprouts a fern at the end of the 'spears' phase...So I pulled one out and the whole root system came up and i was like "Oh shit, that's the asparagus...Replanted it and it's fine now. I planted 4 root systems I bought and they all have sprouted ferns and now some very tall single spear stalks...apparently this is all good as it builds out more plant for next spring...
Got peas ready but the peas are bitter but the pods are sweet and delicious. Also have 5 huge zucchini. Peppers are almost ready. My onions, beans, and potatoes are growing fast. Had a hell of a time with lettuce and spinach this year. For some reason, they did not grow, both times I planted the bastards. Last year, my lettuce and spinach grew so good, I couldn't keep up with it.
Zucchini will grow until you pick it...so when it gets to be the circumference of an aluminum can pick it..any larger and the flesh loses taste and the seeds just get bigger and bigger...same for squash and cucumbers.

THE FEZ MAN

This landlady i knew said she had her own garden. But said it was expensive to maintain. Wonder if it makes much sense money-wise, or would it be considered more of a hobby/passion?

Edit: she lives in FL.
Purely a hobby, and I'm not very good at it I'm lazy and rarely weed

blee

Will Drink Today
Purely a hobby, and I'm not very good at it I'm lazy and rarely weed
Same here. At least I water it every night when the sun sets. I have 3 plants that I can't remember what they are. They are either cucumber or cantaloupe. The flower is to alike to tell. Will know in a couple days though.

MTJonny

Donator
Zucchini will grow until you pick it...so when it gets to be the circumference of an aluminum can pick it..any larger and the flesh loses taste and the seeds just get bigger and bigger...same for squash and cucumbers.
This is my first year growing Zucchini and I've had no idea when I should actually pick them. Very useful information sir, thank you.

THE FEZ MAN

This is my first year growing Zucchini and I've had no idea when I should actually pick them. Very useful information sir, thank you.
Yea smaller are better, big giant zucchini are not very good to eat.

THE FEZ MAN

I've got at least 20 stalks of corn, only 3 have ears on them

Haeder

South Dakota
I've got at least 20 stalks of corn, only 3 have ears on them
Maybe you should plant some Mirai next time. That stuff looks almost exactly like corn.

I consider myself to be the resident corn expert because I'm only an hour away from the world's only Corn Palace and I've cornholed with all of the ladies in the neighborhood.

I'm wishing I never planted horseradish in my garden years ago. It appears to have colonized a portion of my garden.

THE FEZ MAN

I have a feeling I might have a similar issue with my horseradish, I've also got some other kind of pervasive weed, it looks like mint but doesn't smell like it

THE FEZ MAN

Since I don’t feel like starting a new thread since I basically dropped the ball on my gardens this season, two things, yes, the horseradish has decided to take over one of my gardens, meh fuck it it’s just somewhere I didn’t want to cut the grass anyway.
So, on the same path, has any one tried to plant actual wasabi? I’ve been looking it up and it seems like it isn’t as hard to grow as the japs want you to think it is, I’ve got plenty of shade, and water, my biggest worry is it over wintering because it’s supposed to be a minimum of a bi-annual plant

I spent dealing with bitch spots... tilling... covering with composted cow shit then over seeding...