Garlic ...and the power of it.

Fruit Monkey

Don't stare at it eat it! P-1 In trainning
Oct 4, 2004
Intransit
So last night I made myself some eggs with potatoes and garlic fresh cut and powered. No biggie right? Yea, well 24 hours later 3 showers god know how many hand washing, my fucking hands still smell like GARLIC. Ok I know its powerful stuff, and I've known it for years but what the fuck. Is this super garlic? I mean I used to eat this Ceasar salad with fresh garlic and it used to permeate thru my skin. Unreal

PS You want a nasty smelling shit eat 2 cloves of fresh garlic.

Im going to find a skunk to make my hands smell better.

YaHearIHearMe

Yeah....Wait What?
Feb 14, 2005
Suffolk County, LI
Yeah sometimes when I eat a dinner with heavy garlic the next day if im sweating in the gym or at work (construction) I sweat the smell out.

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
Least you won't have to worry about vampires.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Garlic has many natural benefits, all of which can be found in Garlique! - Larry King

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
The amount you cook it has a large effect on the intensity of the stink that oozes out of you later.
If you cooked it only as long as it would take to finish the eggs, that explains it.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
fuck it like stinking like a hogie shop

Aug 5, 2004
rub your hands on some silver.. its supposed to get rid of the smell

they sell these little lumps of silver in cooking stores for this purpose

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Aug 19, 2005
Chicago, IL. Southside, stupid.

Bingo, was about to mention those.

Also, the silver must be on your skin where it stinks, and the silver on your skin, must be under running water.

I have old silver spoons i use for that stuff.

Mar 17, 2006

Stainless steel. Use the handle of a butter knife or something like that to wash you hands.

bethm1b

person of interest
Dec 1, 2006
Just past the line.
Then you can melt down the silver into bullets and the vampires are no longer a problem. Two birds, one stone, lock thread.

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
Stainless steel. Use the handle of a butter knife or something like that to wash you hands.
I never heard of this before, found a lot of 'helpful hints' sites that say it works but no explanation of what is actually happening to make it work.
Anyone know the chemistry that happens?
Or if it's all bullshit?
Some comments say it works, some don't. I wonder if there's some coincidence going on with detergent scents masking for a while.

Lil'GlubGlub

You may call me Chef Glub
Sep 3, 2004
near philly
I never heard of this before, found a lot of 'helpful hints' sites that say it works but no explanation of what is actually happening to make it work.
Anyone know the chemistry that happens?
Or if it's all bullshit?
Some comments say it works, some don't. I wonder if there's some coincidence going on with detergent scents masking for a while.
It works. They taught us that in culinary school.

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
It works. They taught us that in culinary school.
I love these little mysteries for some reason.. Now I'll probably obsess over it for a while until I figure out how or whether it works.
Got to remember to get a fresh bulb of garlic next trip to the store!

When they told you how to us the stainless to get rid of the smell in school, did anyone ask why cooking garlic in a stainless pan doesn't wreck the smell where you want it to be?

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
That's not garlic it the smell of LongIsland ooozin out of ya.

Jan 6, 2006
That's not garlic it the smell of LongIsland ooozin out of ya.
MJMANDALAY
02.18.2006 HOLLYWOOD

Paltalk: Gmail=MJMANDALAY
Foundry ID: MJMANDALAY

(please don't kill me)

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
LI/NJ suburbs are the same fucking thing, same trash, different area code.

Fruit Monkey

Don't stare at it eat it! P-1 In trainning
Oct 4, 2004
Intransit
I wonder if ass has that same lasting effect. oh never mind

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
Yes! Garlique is very powerful.

Angelfuck

Part of the Ronnie B. crowd
Jan 6, 2006
Static Age
yup, I do want one of those bar of soap looking things, but a butter knife handle works just fine
apparently you can also treat an ear infection with garlic

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
yup, I do want one of those bar of soap looking things, but a butter knife handle works just fine
So you've tried it and it works?

I still want to know why cooking in a stainless pot doesn't destroy the garlic you want to keep.

Angelfuck

Part of the Ronnie B. crowd
Jan 6, 2006
Static Age
How It Works
It makes sense to me that the sulfur from the onion/garlic would be attracted to and bind with one or more of the metals in stainless steel. Formation of such compounds is what makes stainless steel stainless, after all. Onions and garlic contain amino acid sulfoxides, which form propanethiol-S-Oxide (R-S(O)H), which reacts to produce sulfuric acid upon exposure to water. These compounds are responsible for burning your eyes while cutting onions and also for their characteristic scent. If the sulfur compounds bind to the steel, then the odor is removed from your fingers. It's possible that normal carbon steel would be even better at odor removal than stainless steel. However, steel doesn't work to remove high concentrations of sulfur compounds
http://www.allinfoaboutgeneralchemistry.com/do-stainless-steel-odor-eaters-really-work.html

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
When I worked as a cook...soaking our fingers in a mixture of lemon juice and peroxide worked