TV Garth Ennis's Preacher-AMC - 10 episode Third Season

Voodoo Ben

You gotta wash your ass
Dec 5, 2010
by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg?

"Preacher," Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon's epic comic book mash-up of Westerns, Southern Gothics, black comedy, metaphysics and good old-fashioned horror, has been trapped in Hollywood development hell since the late '90s. Every few years, a new white knight turns up to rescue it: first Kevin Smith (to produce a movie version that might have starred James Marsden in the title role), then Mark Steven Johnson (who wrote an aborted series version at HBO), and more recently Sam Mendes and D.J. Caruso (each briefly attached to an attempt to make a "Preacher" movie). Now, two new saviors have appeared, and they are...

... Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg?

Earlier today, Badass Digest's Devin Faraci reported that the screenwriting duo, who made their directorial debut with this summer's "This Is The End," will be making a "Preacher" pilot for AMC. Rogen himself offered a few not-so-cryptic tweets — one referring to how "seven years of hard work are about to pay off," the other namechecking several "Preacher" supporting characters (including, yes, John Wayne himself) — suggesting Faraci is on the right track. An AMC rep said they "can't confirm right now," but there appears to be at least some fire behind this smoke.

Now, there's a reason it's been nearly 20 years since the first issue of "Preacher"(*) without a film or TV adaptation getting close to production.

(*) "Preacher" For Dummies: Jesse Custer is a handsome young Texas reverend with a dark past and a deep love of John Wayne movies who becomes bonded with a creature known as Genesis — the offspring of an angel and demon — that at times makes him as powerful as God Himself. As Jesse, his ex-girlfriend Tulip and their new friend Cassidy try to figure out why he has this power, what to do with it, and why God appears to have forsaken His kingdom, they cross paths with saints, vampires, serial killers, many many inbred people, the Army and a global organization with their own ties to the Almighty.

It's not just that it's a sprawling narrative that can't be easily squeezed into a two-hour movie (though Smith and Scott Mosier's original plan was to simply adapt the first story arc), but that "Preacher" is a mix of so many disparate tones and styles that have no business being pushed together in this way. It's a series that can present a straightforward, thrilling action sequence in the same Monument Valley location where Wayne and John Ford made so many classic Westerns, but also one that has much fun at the expense of a recurring character known as Arseface, because, well, he looks like this. It revels in its graphic imagery (particularly in the downward physical spiral one of its main villains endures) and wildly blasphemous (which makes me stunned an ad-supported operation like AMC would consider it), but also incredibly sincere in its emotions.

There are only a handful of creative types in the business I would think would even have a prayer of taking "Preacher" from the page to the screen, and I would not have necessarily put Rogen and Goldberg on that list. They're comic book fans, but they struggled to adapt "The Green Hornet" to modern times — though some of that difficulty came from casting Rogen as the hero, which presumably will not be happening here — and this thing is going to be a monster to wrestle down, even if AMC lets them get away with even half of what Ennis and Dillon did. Even on the network that just gave us "Breaking Bad," for instance, will they be able to pull off all the widescreen Western iconography?

That said, my expectations would be much lower if I hadn't seen and liked "This Is The End," which is itself a blend of tones and styles that should not work together, shifting from autobiographical self-satire to genuine metaphysical dread. (There's some of that in their "Pineapple Express" as well, minus the demonic phalluses so prevalent in "This Is The End.") I'm skeptical they'll be able to make it work, because "Preacher" seems designed to defy adaptation, but there are at least traces of the skills needed to pull it off in some other things they've made. And if they've really been trying for seven years to make this happen presumably they've thought long and hard about what parts of the comic can be adapted and what needs to be thrown out immediately.

What does everybody else think? If "Preacher" is ever going to make it to the screen, do you think these are the guys to do it? Does the success of the gore-filled "The Walking Dead" suggest AMC won't be squeamish about at least some of the comic's most infamous imagery? And in terms of actors who are the right ages now and might be amenable to doing TV, who would you like to see as Jesse, Tulip and Cassidy?
http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wa...ming-to-amc-from-seth-rogen-and-evan-goldberg

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
There is no way. It'd have to rated X, basically.

Discoman

Donator
Feb 21, 2010
New York
Well Preacher is controversial when it comes to religion, but Jesse seemed overly liberal in some ways: getting pissed off at racial jokes, promoting feminism (it was the 90s I guess), etc.

I think AMC is all wrong for it. They could get away with the gore I imagine, but this needs to be on HBO or Cinemax.

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012
Your sister's underwear drawer
PREACHER is my favourite comic book. Actually, it's just one of my favourite pieces of literature in general.

That said, there is no way this can be done and keep even half of Ennis's brilliant insanity intact. The religious psychopaths will never allow it.

Joker1919

Oct 11, 2008
Central Kentucky
PREACHER is my favourite comic book. Actually, it's just one of my favourite pieces of literature in general.

That said, there is no way this can be done and keep even half of Ennis's brilliant insanity intact. The religious psychopaths will never allow it.
I don't think it would just be the bible beaters some pc faggots would have a huge problem with shit from the comic. I mean how would they handle the sexual detectives or t.c. sticking his cock in anything he can find?

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Frankie_b

Talk softly and drive a big tank!
Aug 31, 2009
Scotland
Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg's "Preacher" Adaptation Official at AMC
Posted: 3 minutes ago

TV/Film
Albert Ching, Senior Editor

Email Print

It's official: Comedy veterans Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg are writing a "Preacher" adaptation for AMC, according to The Hollywood Reporter. "Breaking Bad" alum Sam Catlin is also on board the project, and will serve as showrunner.

Rogen and Golberg will write the pilot script and executive produce. THR says. "Preacher" ended up at AMC "with a hefty commitment in a competitive situation with multiple networks bidding."

"This is a great piece of material for AMC, and we're thrilled to begin working with the creative team behind it to make another iconic AMC series," Joel Stillerman, AMC executive vice president of original programming, production and digital content, is quoted in THR's piece. Given the massive success "The Walking Dead" has been for AMC, the acquisition of another high-profile comic book adaptation isn't a surprise.

"Preacher," written by Garth Ennis and illustrated by Steve Dillon, ran for 66 issues from 1995 to 2000 as part of DC Comics' mature readers Vertigo line. Telling the story of Jesse Custer (a preacher with the power of "the Word of God"), his girlfriend Tulip O'Hare and their vampire Cassidy, it stands as one of the most acclaimed and influential comic book series. Several past attempts have been made at bringing "Preacher" to live action.

"Steve Dillon and I are very happy to see Preacher being developed for TV, which seems a much more natural home for the story than a two-hour movie," Ennis said in THR's article. "I'm particularly impressed that Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg and Sam Catlin understand Preacher fully -- meaning they get it for what it is, not some vague approximation. All in all, it looks like Preacher can now be brought to TV in a way that I'd previously not have thought possible, and I very much appreciate that Steve and I have been included in the conversation in the way that we have."

Talk of a Rogen-helmed "Preacher" TV series first surfaced in November, with an unconfirmed report from Badass Digest. Later, the actor/writer tweeted rather strong hints that he was indeed working on "Preacher," writing, "Looks like about seven of years of hard work are about to pay off. I may get to bring one of my favourite stories ever to life. Arseface. John Wayne, The Saint of Killers."

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Agents of SHIELD Star Joins AMC's Preacher Pilot as Tulip
SHIELD's Ruth Negga is now Preacher's lead badass babe.
By Matt FowlerSeth Rogen and Evan Goldberg's Preacher pilot for AMC, based on Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon’s cult comic series, has found its female lead.

As Deadline reports, Ruth Negga, who's played the scheming Raina on Marvel's Agents of SHIELD for two seasons, has landed the ass-kicking role of Tulip - the gun-toting ex of ex-preacher Jesse Custer (yet to be cast).

Ruth Negga and Tulip.

Preacher revolves around Jesse Custer, a conflicted preacher in a small Texas town who merges with a powerful creature that has escaped from heaven. Along with his ex-gal, Tulip (Negga), and an Irish vampire named Cassidy, the three embark on a journey to literally find God.

The character description for Tulip is as follows: "Volatile, action-packed, sexified force of nature, a capable, unrepentant criminal with a love of fashion and ability to construct helicopter-downing bazookas out of coffee cans and corn shine who’s not afraid to steal, kill or corn cob-stab her way out of a bad situation."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/19/agents-of-shield-star-joins-amcs-preacher-pilot-as-tulip

Aug 13, 2013
I love Preacher but I was a lot more interested in this when it was supposed to be on HBO like 7 years ago. It seems a little much for AMC and I'll be really upset if they dilute it for the channel.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
AMC's Preacher Pilot Casts Arseface
Share.
Meet Eugene Root, aka Arseface.
By Michael MartinAMC has cast another supporting character in Preacher, an adaption of 1990’s Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon cult comic series.

According to Deadline, Ian Colletti (Rake) will star as Eugene Root, aka Arseface, a character disfigured after shooting himself in the face with a shotgun and surviving. Arseface is the son of Texas Sheriff Hugo Root in the comics, and while he never had an official name, the character appears to be 'Eugene' in the show.

A character description for Arseface describes him as “stomach-churningly difficult to look at” but with a “sweet and pure outlook on life.” The character is “troubled by something terrible he’s done in the past — something he fears might have turned God himself against him.”

Yesterday, the pilot found its female lead in Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD’s Ruth Negga, who will play Tulip – the ex-girlfriend of series lead Reverend Jesse Custer. AMC also appears to be looking at Marvel’s Howard Stark, Dominic Cooper, to play Jesse Custer.

This Is The End’s Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg are directing Preacher, with a script by Breaking Bad’s Sam Catlin, who will also serve as showrunner.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/20/amcs-preacher-pilot-casts-arseface

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012
Your sister's underwear drawer
AMC's Preacher Pilot Casts Arseface
Share.
Meet Eugene Root, aka Arseface.
By Michael MartinAMC has cast another supporting character in Preacher, an adaption of 1990’s Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon cult comic series.

According to Deadline, Ian Colletti (Rake) will star as Eugene Root, aka Arseface, a character disfigured after shooting himself in the face with a shotgun and surviving. Arseface is the son of Texas Sheriff Hugo Root in the comics, and while he never had an official name, the character appears to be 'Eugene' in the show.

A character description for Arseface describes him as “stomach-churningly difficult to look at” but with a “sweet and pure outlook on life.” The character is “troubled by something terrible he’s done in the past — something he fears might have turned God himself against him.”

Yesterday, the pilot found its female lead in Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD’s Ruth Negga, who will play Tulip – the ex-girlfriend of series lead Reverend Jesse Custer. AMC also appears to be looking at Marvel’s Howard Stark, Dominic Cooper, to play Jesse Custer.

This Is The End’s Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg are directing Preacher, with a script by Breaking Bad’s Sam Catlin, who will also serve as showrunner.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/20/amcs-preacher-pilot-casts-arseface
He's a better choice for his role than that mulatto wench they cast as Tulip.

Forced diversity horseshit.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Lucy Griffiths to Co-Star in AMC's 'Preacher' Adaptation

AP Images
Based on the controversial DC Comics series by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon, the drama will be executive produced by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg.
Lucy Griffiths is back in the comic book world.

The True Blood alum has joined the cast of AMC's comic book adaptation Preacher, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Based on Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon's controversial 1990s series from DC Comics imprint Vertigo, Preacher revolves around the Rev. Jesse Custer, a badass Texas preacher who, after losing his faith, learns that God has left heaven and forsaken his duties. Jesse becomes the only one who is able to track down God and hold him responsible for his abdication. Tulip O'Hare (Ruth Negga), Jesse's beer-guzzling vampire ex-girlfriend, accompanies him on his quest for answers. But the story doesn't end there: The Saint of Killers, an immortal killing machine and Western lone-gunman type, is hot on their trail, with his sights set on Jesse.

Griffiths will co-star as Emily Woodrow, a no-nonsense single mother of three. Emily's a waitress, the church organist, a bookkeeper and Jesse's loyal right hand. Stoic and strong, wise beyond her years, she can’t help but have a little thing for Preacher Jesse.

Griffiths joins a cast that also includes This Is England's Joseph Gilgun as Irish vampire Cassidy and Ian Colletti as Eugene Root (aka Arseface). The lead role of Jesse has not been cast yet.

This Is the End duo Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg and Breaking Bad's Sam Catlin are adapting the comic for AMC via Sony Pictures Television. James Weaver will oversee the project, which was written by Catlin. Rogen and Goldberg will direct.

For Griffiths, this marks the actress' return to the comic world after she initially was attached to co-star in NBC's Hellblazer take, Constantine. Griffiths is repped by DBA, Principal Entertainment and Hamilton Hodell.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/preacher-lucy-griffiths-star-785775

Aug 13, 2013
I am less and less hopeful the more they cast this.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
AMC’s Preacher Pilot Starts Shooting
"I can’t believe we are f***ing doing this!!!”
By Wesley CopelandUPDATE: Seth Rogen tweeted the first photo from AMC's Preacher pilot tonight. It shows Dominic Cooper as Jesse Custer and Ian Colletti as Arseface. Check it out:

The original report follows ...

Production has begun on the pilot for AMC’s Preacher TV series.

Seth Rogen took to Twitter to reveal the news, saying “I can’t believe we are f***ing doing this!!!”

Rogen is set to co-direct the pilot alongside partner Evan Goldberg (they are also writing and executive-producing). Bill Pope is serving as director of photography.

Preacher, based on the DC/Vertigo comic series, tells the story of Jesse Custer (Dominic Cooper), a small town preacher at his faith’s end, who becomes imbued with the word of God. Joining Custer is his ex-girlfriend Tulip (Ruth Negga), the rowdy vampire Cassidy (Joseph Gilgun), Jesse’s right-hand Emily (Lucy Griffiths), and the ever-controversial Arseface (Ian Colletti)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/14/amcs-preacher-pilot-starts-shooting