General Bitching and Moaning about your car/truck thread

ysr50

Donator
I’ve got my VW running right finally so I’ve got transportation and I don’t plan on needing sheets of plywood this week, you’re right about the door issue, you made me decide to buy a tarp tomorrow while I’m at Harbor freight big enough to cover the door, it’s only a little “too long” basically the the rear bumper sticks out about a foot i can get it in further but I wouldn’t be able to walk in front of the truck and I need access to the front so it will have to hang out. I can put hooks along the garage door frame to hang the tarp, I’ve actually had to do this before at my old shop when we tried to fit a 40’ trailer into a 39’ shop to paint it. I’ve got a kick ass propane “top hat” heater that will drive me out so that’s not an issue but you can bet that it will decide to snow after I get half the front end apart after cutting something with a torch
Sounds good. Don't burn down.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Well, i jumped in head first...

The upper ball joint were completely trashed, along with the shock, and all the rubber bushings, while I was in there I replaced the steering shaft that I ended up cutting the bolt head off of because it was rusted so bad and completely shot the needle bearings were powder it’s amazing it didn’t break. The lower ball joint was on its way out too, so it was time to do all of this. I had to use a torch to cut the torsion bar out of the lower control arm I’m going to have to press the bearing out of the spindle because it’s so rusted in, I want to paint all that stuff before I put it in. I’m glad I decided to do it at home because I’ve been working nonstop since about 9

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Well, i jumped in head first...

The upper ball joint were completely trashed, along with the shock, and all the rubber bushings, while I was in there I replaced the steering shaft that I ended up cutting the bolt head off of because it was rusted so bad and completely shot the needle bearings were powder it’s amazing it didn’t break. The lower ball joint was on its way out too, so it was time to do all of this. I had to use a torch to cut the torsion bar out of the lower control arm I’m going to have to press the bearing out of the spindle because it’s so rusted in, I want to paint all that stuff before I put it in. I’m glad I decided to do it at home because I’ve been working nonstop since about 9
I wish I had those kind of skills man. Anything deeper than replacing a wheel hub, I usually wind up tapping out with regard to suspension. Most of the engine stuff I can usually do on my own, but that shit would give me screaming nightmares.

THE FEZ MAN

I wish I had those kind of skills man. Anything deeper than replacing a wheel hub, I usually wind up tapping out with regard to suspension. Most of the engine stuff I can usually do on my own, but that shit would give me screaming nightmares.
It’s not as many bolts as you would think, the actual control arms are only 4 fasteners 5 if you count the bolt that holds the torsion bar tension, for me that was the “hairiest” part of the project because it’s under a fuck load of tension, I’ve had coil springs fly out, but I YouTubeed it and a guy used a gear puller to hold it which I would have never thought of, I would have just zipped it out with an impact gun and turned my head Incase it exploded. Owning all of the professional tools and air really helps, I bought a ball joint press to do the rear leaf spring bushings and an inner tie rod tool, I need to pick up a set of 1/2 inch drive shallow impact sockets that go up to 25mm I never really needed them at the body shop because I’m not a “mechanic” it’s rare to come across any body bolts larger than 19mm. With the exception of the bolt on the sector shaft head rounding off immediately, all but a few of the bolts came right out, and a wack with PB blaster and a 1/2” impact gun helped.
I’m going blast and paint all of the parts I’m reusing, mostly the brackets for the sway bar, there is a lot of rust on the spindle I used my needle scaler to knock the really heavy shit off once i get the bearing out I will blast it and hit it with some black spray bomb, shockingly it helps a lot.
The wheel bearing was really really bad I’m curious about what the bearings actually look like I will probably have to destroy the hub in the press and chances are the race won’t come out so I can use my “weld and quench” trick to shrink it out.
Oh, and I’m going to have to put brake pads on it they are about 50% but “while I’m there” I also noticed a few oil leaks around the valve cover but that’s a project for later.

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
Hit something big...pothole or piece of roadjunk on NYE on the highway and bent the crap out of my front right aluminum rim. Now I get to pay $160 for it to be put back in round by a wheel unbending company ETD uses. Should get it back tomorrow and get this hooptie looking spare back in the trunk

THE FEZ MAN

Hit something big...pothole or piece of roadjunk on NYE on the highway and bent the crap out of my front right aluminum rim. Now I get to pay $160 for it to be put back in round by a wheel unbending company ETD uses. Should get it back tomorrow and get this hooptie looking spare back in the trunk
I ordered a spare wheel, for my truck because the spare for the truck is significantly smaller and for emergencies only and, my wheels are special order so if I fuck one up, I’m without my truck for a month

THE FEZ MAN

Not you
The previous post
Probably, I saw a Benz on Monday with tires that were so thin I didn’t even notice the tire was flat, that guy in Clifton specializes in those fancy pants wheels that’s why I went there

Probably, I saw a Benz on Monday with tires that were so thin I didn’t even notice the tire was flat, that guy in Clifton specializes in those fancy pants wheels that’s why I went there
My buddies Audi R3 or R5... which is stupidly fast with twin turbos and a custom air intake and other shit... and wicked skinny tires.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
Not you
The previous post
Yeah. Its a 2016 Ford Focus ST with 17' factory aluminum low profile wheels that look great but bend like they're made of putty if you hit any sizable pothole

Yeah. Its a 2016 Ford Focus ST with 17' factory aluminum low profile wheels that look great but bend like they're made of putty if you hit any sizable pothole
I really don't understand the attraction to them
They seem like more trouble than they're worth

THE FEZ MAN

I'm so over doing work like that any more.
I'd junk it 1st. Good luck.
What’s kind of funny is I’ve done this job probably 50x in one way or the other, but, I very rarely ever work on my own shit unless something breaks and I have no choice, in this case I’m actually glad I started this when I did, I noticed towards the end of the summer that the front tires were wearing bad on the inside, I should shoot a little more video of how bad the upper ball joints are, one good bump and that fucker was going to come apart, same with the sector shaft, and the shocks were completely shit, I sprayed the u joints on thesector shaft with PB blaster last year and hit it with a hammer to loosen it up.
I truly contemplated paying mickys to do the entire job, but I know that they would never do what I wanted like paint shit, theta also why I’m doing it at home, I can take my time, paint stuff lube things, fix the leaking compression fitting on the brake line, I’m probably going to have to put a new brake booster in it sooner rather than later it’s rusting out. It’s weeping oil from the valve covers and pan gasket, I’m going to put plugs in it also because my mileage has been complete shit lately and only going to get worse with those giant tires

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
What’s kind of funny is I’ve done this job probably 50x in one way or the other, but, I very rarely ever work on my own shit unless something breaks and I have no choice, in this case I’m actually glad I started this when I did, I noticed towards the end of the summer that the front tires were wearing bad on the inside, I should shoot a little more video of how bad the upper ball joints are, one good bump and that fucker was going to come apart, same with the sector shaft, and the shocks were completely shit, I sprayed the u joints on thesector shaft with PB blaster last year and hit it with a hammer to loosen it up.
I truly contemplated paying mickys to do the entire job, but I know that they would never do what I wanted like paint shit, theta also why I’m doing it at home, I can take my time, paint stuff lube things, fix the leaking compression fitting on the brake line, I’m probably going to have to put a new brake booster in it sooner rather than later it’s rusting out. It’s weeping oil from the valve covers and pan gasket, I’m going to put plugs in it also because my mileage has been complete shit lately and only going to get worse with those giant tires
I seriously have junked cars in better condition. I just can't be bothered.
I'm so over fixing my broken shit.

THE FEZ MAN

I seriously have junked cars in better condition. I just can't be bothered.
I'm so over fixing my broken shit.
Trust me, if I didn’t have a specific goal (reliable beach truck) I absolutely would have sold this thing two years ago, I just can’t drive a new vehicle onto the beach and, I can’t grasp the $60k for a new truck not to mention all of the overwhelming and useless solid state electronics that are just dieng to fuck up. This truck is still “mechanical” for the most part
What’s really going to kill me is having to do the rust work, it’s got the dreaded “wheel well rot” I know damn well no matter what I do to it it’s just going to keep rotting, that will drive me insane, I plan on painting it too, honestly it’s not in bad shape it actually just got its second dent, some drunk at the club put I giant door ding in it a few weeks ago.
My wife? Brand new car, the only reason I put the brakes on it last week is because it was a 30min job.
The truck? Yea it’s a bullshit project and I know it

Millionaire Problems :haha7:

Yea, I’m bored idle and rich, I’ve always wanted a “cool” truck, now I have the money and time, fuck it
Just buy a new one
Or a newer one
That's my plan this Spring
The rust on mine is disgusting

Last edited:

THE FEZ MAN

Just buy a new one
Or a newer one
That's my plan this Spring
The rust on mine is digusting
Nope, I spent 30 years repairing shit boxes for everyone and their brothers and never “built” anything for myself. I’ve got all the tools and the talent, and the money, hell I was thinking about “flaring” the sides if he tires stick out to much, I already planned out my cuts. I’m buying a new truck, if dodge doesn’t reintroduce the Dakota within the next two years, I will look into a new Colorado or the new Jeep gladiator, I don’t want a “full size” truck and I hate Toyota’s .
I’m going to finish the suspension then tackle the engine leaks, put plugs in it, redo the headliner, put a matching rear bumper on it and new LED / HID leadlamps and led tail lights, paint it, and I might even splurge for a new radio because this one doesn’t have a an aux input.