General Bitching and Moaning about your car/truck thread

ysr50

Donator
Lol, it’s not an airplane and, getting something cad plated around here is super expensive. It’s really just a few of the larger bolts that hold the control arms on, I’m not sure if aircraft use them but they often have built in warshers and weird heads. Lucky for me none of them are torque to yeald, that’s usually seat belts and Volkswagen loves to use them so new parts usually come with the parts
I can get you the part number for latest/greatest stuff we use during assembly, Mastinox is no longer being produced so they've come up with a subsitute. You can order it from Aviall. Mastinox was legendary for possibly causing your brain to rot and your balls fall off simultaneously if it touched your skin, I honestly have no idea if the new stuff is any better so I try to not use it as deodorant. I think it's called Cor-Ban.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
I can get you the part number for latest/greatest stuff we use during assembly, Mastinox is no longer being produced so they've come up with a subsitute. You can order it from Aviall. Mastinox was legendary for possibly causing your brain to rot and your balls fall off simultaneously if it touched your skin, I honestly have no idea if the new stuff is any better so I try to not use it as deodorant. I think it's called Cor-Ban.
Thanks but I’m just going to paint them, my motorcycle on the other hand has a fuck ton of cad, god damn brits

ysr50

Donator
Thanks but I’m just going to paint them, my motorcycle on the other hand has a fuck ton of cad, god damn brits
Went through the same shit with my Mini, luckily those cars are so popular now that I can get just about anything new if I'm willing to wait a week or so.

THE FEZ MAN

Went through the same shit with my Mini, luckily those cars are so popular now that I can get just about anything new if I'm willing to wait a week or so.
I just looked up that product you posted, good god man, I always knew zinc chromate was bad, so I always avoided looking up how bad it actually was.... I used that shit for decades as a bare metal primer, I actually tried to look some of the products up and they have been discontinued...... pray for me.... the indiscretions of youth...

The Mitsubishi GT3000 was a much better car but you’re right, they were maintenance nightmares
I miss the late '80s/early '90s era of the turbo hatchbacks and coupes. I've always liked the old Chrysler Conquest TSI's too. Rear wheel drive with a turbo 4 and the coolest looking factory wheels ever made.
Man, did I lust after both of these cars. The one hot teacher in the whole school drove a TSI, and I don't know what gave me more of a rod, her or her car, lols.

THE FEZ MAN

Before and after, kind of, I just got one side done, loading the torsion bar was hairy, over all, dragging my feet, blasting and painting shit, two trips to Napa, a trip to Home Depot and two trips to my old shop one side took 3 days the other side should go quicker I hope, I might address a leak (actually a poor design) of the heater box drain on the passenger side.
So far I’ve gained 4” in height, at least from the ground to the top of the wheel well, I can go higher or lower, but not a whole lot lower because at steering lock, I’m close to the firewall.
My biggest curiosity is how it’s going to drive and handle, another interesting thing is I ordered a rear lift kit, I might not need it, the truck always had an almost comical rake to it that I kind of hated which got worse as the front end drooped.

I’m almost exactly 40” in the front and 39ish in the rear, im going to evaluate all of that when I finish the front, one way or the other it’s getting the new bushings and shocks at the very least

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
I got a '79 Malibu for $50 once. It had so much blowby that it barely moved.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
I remember used car dealers would put gear lube in the crankcase on shitboxes to get them to not smoke.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
I remember used car dealers would put gear lube in the crankcase on shitboxes to get them to not smoke.
Problem is, gear oil can't hold up to engine temps so it's a
fix that only works to try and get rid of it.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
That's actually very rare these days.
Most motors die from other problems.
Piston rings hold up very well.
Yeah. It had the 3.8 (229 CI) V6. I replaced it with a low-mileage later model 4.3 out of a wrecked truck. I should have kept that car. It ran great, but I was young and didn't want to drive what looked like an old lady's car anymore. This was in the early 90s. It only had like 60K on it and was owned by an old lady who probably never changed the oil.

THE FEZ MAN

Kind of stalled out today, got all of the right side suspension out, got the bearing out by beating the hell out of it, but, my inner tie rod won’t come off using the giant channel locks so I have to go get a big wrench, like 1 1/8 biggest I have is 1 1/16 I don’t want to fuck it up if I can avoid it. The ball joints on the passenger side were not as bad as the drivers side but the uppers were absolutely shot. I also can’t get the torsion bar out of the lower control arm, I’m soaking it in Jesus juice overnight it will probably beat out after a wiggle and a soak. I also got in to a fight with one of the bolts that hold on the dust shield on the spindle I was able to get two out but the third had to be drilled, I really wish I had a mill or a full size drill press, I got it, and retapped it but it’s sloppy, a nice blob of red locktight should hold it it’s just a dust shield.
The spindle is blasted and getting painted I can assemble everything while I’m waiting on the torsion bar paint to dry, hopefully I will be done the front by Tuesday morning (I plan on drinking tomorrow afternoon) then I can start on the back

THE FEZ MAN

Well the front is done, I really like the way it’s starting to shape up, I started on the rear this afternoon but decided to let all the bolts soak overnight in PB blaster, I’m bummed out I had to remove my spare tire and my trailer hitch to gain access to the rear spring shackles, they are badly rusted I’m going to blast them then decide if I should buy new ones the other “what the fuck” is the front spring mount bolt is covered by the fuel tank, how hard would it have been to put welded nut inside the fucking frame? Instead I have to keep my fingers crossed I can get the spring off without having to disturb that bolt (hence the soaking) thank doG that the nut cake off without spinning the bolt, I’m also contemplating repairing the rust around the wheel well on the drivers side, kind of “while I’m here” but I would rather wait till spring so I can work with the door open, once I get the springs out I’m going to get after the surface rust on the frame, nothing too extreme probably just wack it with a grinder and hit it with some rust reformer and paint it, I’m hesitant to use under coating and would rather it just be painted gloss black.

THE FEZ MAN

The rear turned into a world of shit almost immediately, I couldn’t get any of the spring bushing bolts to budge, so, I got the bright idea of cutting off the rivet heads on the spring hangers,,,, not a great idea, I used a carbide “die grinder” but to shave off the rivet heads which worked shockingly well except I got showered with billions of tiny steel splinters, the bummer is that the rivets are basically rusted solid so I have to also drill them to release the pressure.
It’s a complete pain in the ass (and back) it’s really labor intensive, so far I’ve only got one hanger loose, I gave up for he day, the only “up side” is that I can sand blast the hangers and paint them and paint behind where they mount.
I briefly thought bout saying “fuck the new bushings but I spent the cash I should put them in, and, the old ones are shot

Meh, cool cost money and takes time

My old Explorer was saggy in the back, so I replaced the hangers, I was scared taking the old ones off would kill me, and getting the leafs in the new ones was not fun. I ended up making a lever out of a 10' pipe to lift them into place.

THE FEZ MAN

My old Explorer was saggy in the back, so I replaced the hangers, I was scared taking the old ones off would kill me, and getting the leafs in the new ones was not fun. I ended up making a lever out of a 10' pipe to lift them into place.
Yea I was a little worried when I got the first set of rivets out, it did “spring” a little.
I’ve done this exact job on other people’s cars but never on my own car. , and I was using a lift with stantion jacks at work.
I’ve got everything properly supported so the suspension load should be “neutral” in theory, if done correctly :rolleyes: everything should “fall together” my biggest issue is figuring out how I’m going to get the bolts in the left front hanger the fucking gas tank is in the way

THE FEZ MAN

Got both springs out, the fucking shackles are shot...l expected them to be, I hate it when I’m right sometimes, so, I’m at dead stop when it comes to assembly, so, i accidentally took a trip over to my favorite “hardware” store over in New Jersey.
https://www.shopjfi.com/
This place is the 9th wonder of the world when it comes to building stuff, if they don’t have it, you don’t need it, I also learned today that the “old store” is still open, I thought it was closed... nope, still there and chock full of shit I will never use but really need...
So, I picked up all of hardware I needed in grade 8 including some nice flange nuts (grade 5 :( ) to re assemble it, some really nice work gloves

I also picked up a bunch of different cans of paint and I’m going to try some new glass blasting media, it’s quite large I’m hoping it doesn’t clog my machine
That’s tomorrow’s project burn out the spring bushings and start painting the frame, rear and other bits and bobbles

THE FEZ MAN

Holy shit is it rusty under there, I spent all morning with a Needle scaler and my air chisel knocking off rust just so I can then go over it with a wire wheel, it looks like I’m going to have to weld part of the frame, he genius’s at dodge decided to bolt the frame together and over time moisture has gotten in between the rails and cause a lot of corrosion and actually sepperated the two pieces so far that I’m going to have to heat and beat them back into place and put a few welds to hold them tight, I then plan on caulking it . I’m also trying to decide if I should “bed” the spring hangers in caulk or panel bonding adhesive. before I bolt them up so shit won’t get behind them

blazin

I ordered brake pads and rotors on Amazon for Friday delivery so I could do them this weekend.

Rotors showed up on time

Still waiting on them pads....

fuckers