General Bitching and Moaning about your car/truck thread

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
A truck that size with a 5.7 Hemi would be pretty bad ass...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Meh, I’m going to put valve cover gaskets on this one and run it till it comes apart, if,.... if I was going to do something stupid, I would look into a fresh long block 4.7 and a super charger, less fiddling and I’m not sure a 5.9 would physically fit in the engine compartment with out extensive modifications
Dodge dakota r/t had a 5.9. It drops right in. Tight squeeze thou

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
I knew it was that bad, all dakotas rust in exactly the same spot, the bitch is that I can’t buy the inner to outer patch panel, the wheel house I cut out I bought, and will replace, and the outer panel section. I’m going to have to fabricate the rest of if which is a bitch because it’s very difficult to get behind it and seal it up, once I’m done with the bodywork in the bed I’m going to have a professional bed liner sprayed in and I will do inside the wheel wells with raptor (the shit you buy from amazon)
On the up side, dodge had the common sense to not use that fucking anti flutter foam that traps shit and rots them out even faster and I have all the tools and talent to fix it, I’ve actually repaired worse with out patch panels using flat sheet metal and forming the parts from scratch, fuck that noise

THE FEZ MAN

You're in way deeper than I would ever think of getting into
Yet oddly enough, I’ve been 100x deeper with other people’s shit, the repair I’m doing on my truck I’ve done at least 50x. I’m shooting video of most of the project

ysr50

Donator
My buddy had one, it was a pig
I had one, it wasn't a pig, but it wasn't exactly a Pro Stock truck either. I got mine just before the F-150 Lightning was available. It was probably a lot like yours except for the 5.9, 2WD, 17" rims, limited slip 3.92 rear end, 1 and 7/8" stainless exhaust and much beefier sway bars. For a truck it actually handled okay, it was actually better with about a 100 lbs of weight back by the tailgate in a straight line and around corners. But it was a Dodge and I got rid of it not long after the warranty ended. Had I been able to get a Lightning I would have but they weren't available. These days I realize how idiotic I was, trucks have a purpose and going fast isn't it.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Wonder if you could find a junkyard bed in better shape. Since you are painting anyway...

click

Since you're going all in I would put disc brakes on that rear. Don't
know if they make a conversion for your model

THE FEZ MAN

I had one, it wasn't a pig, but it wasn't exactly a Pro Stock truck either. I got mine just before the F-150 Lightning was available. It was probably a lot like yours except for the 5.9, 2WD, 17" rims, limited slip 3.92 rear end, 1 and 7/8" stainless exhaust and much beefier sway bars. For a truck it actually handled okay, it was actually better with about a 100 lbs of weight back by the tailgate in a straight line and around corners. But it was a Dodge and I got rid of it not long after the warranty ended. Had I been able to get a Lightning I would have but they weren't available. These days I realize how idiotic I was, trucks have a purpose and going fast isn't it.
Glorious leader had two SVT supercharged lightenings a 99 and the last year they made them maybe an 05? and that stupid saleen f150 I was never impressed. You’re correct, trucks serve a purpose and a two wheel drive truck with an engine that large serves no purpose in philly

THE FEZ MAN

Wonder if you could find a junkyard bed in better shape. Since you are painting anyway...
Not around these parts, they all rusted like that, even the ones with a spray in liner, it looks worse than it is, I ordered the inner wheel house (the part I cut out) the other patches won’t be difficult to make, Ive go all the tools and I’ve done plenty of them. but sealing up the back sides of the repair will be a challenge, I’m probably going to order this product from Eastwood
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-internal-frame-coating-14oz-aerosol.html
And I plan on spraying zinc weld primer before I weld anything, it makes a mess but works along with heavily caulking the joints then spraying the wheel wheels with the bed liner, and having a professional bed liner put on the inside that should buy me a few more years, if I “knew then what I know now”. When I repaired my first one I should have inspected mine, auto manufacturers don’t make 1 mistake they make 100k mistakes.

THE FEZ MAN

Since you're going all in I would put disc brakes on that rear. Don't
know if they make a conversion for your model
My truck is the first year to offer rear discs, ad my truck has them, but, only two wheel ABS whichbis kind of odd, but, it’s one less thing to break

THE FEZ MAN

I had to cut out the inside of the bed because.........

This is what the top of the part looked like, what you’re looking at is the part between the inside and the outside of the wheel well, there is no fucking way in the world I could have welded to that Swiss cheese, I’m going to have to make pieces to re enforce it then weld it back in, then weld the inner (bed inside) wheel houses, then I can start working on the outside I already replaced the lip of the bed where the bed side wheel house meets the bed (top photo bottom right Swiss cheese part)

Oh, and fuck mill supply, the fucking repair panels are 2” too short I’m going to have to add pieces to them fucking Chinese fucks

ysr50

Donator
Is it too late to say fuck it and fab your own bed out of diamond plate? :D
Or just buy a utility bed, used or new? They make a variety of options, not sure what would be available for a '99 Dakota. Probably used.

THE FEZ MAN

Panel adhesive is your friend.
There will be panel adhesive involved, but I do have welders
Is it too late to say fuck it and fab your own bed out of diamond plate? :D
Or just buy a utility bed, used or new? They make a variety of options, not sure what would be available for a '99 Dakota. Probably used.
Na, honestly it’s not that bad! I’ve done way worse, from 1991 until 2002 the majority of my work was resurrecting rusted out hunks of shit, mostly Mack’s GMCs and the occasional ford cab over, not to mention fleets of “work trucks” and, the jerk off I worked for refused to buy patch panels so I had to make most of this shit

Last edited:

THE FEZ MAN

Welded up the inner wheel well, I had to remake the outer wheel arch, and repair the giant holes in the top, brought out all my toys, my Lancaster stretcher, my English wheel hammers dolly’s etc.
my new welder is working wonderfully I switched out the .035 wire for the .024 so I could weld the Swiss cheese up, I wish I had this welder years ago instead of fighting with that shitty one at glorious leaders
I bought some new “weld through” primer and that also worked great so far I’m relatively happy with the project, the hard part is going to be sealing everything to slow the rust

THE FEZ MAN

I ended up running out of C25 (argon co2) for my welder yesterday so I didn’t get the inner part welded in, but, that’s ok because I had to paint it before installing it anyway, this gives the paint time to fully dry, in years past I never did that and the repairs were rusting out within a few years no matter how much I tried to seal it up, I still have a few patches to make for the lower bed sides, i will be really happy when I’m done with this shit and it’s ready for paint

THE FEZ MAN

Got it installed, it went surprisingly well I did have a few hiccups but nothing I couldn’t handle, I was fighting with the wheel house so I walked away for the day. I started reviewing the video and realized why I was fighting with it, I was trying to force it in to far, tomorrow I will try it the way I think it’s supposed to go... never throw away the old parts till the job is done