General Bitching and Moaning about your car/truck thread

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Knowlage is dangerous, and often times quite expensive, I mentioned my “go to” autobody supply company closed so I switched to a “new” place, the “new place” only sells what I consider “offbrand” refinishing products, they aren’t really “off brand” they are just companies I never used, because they were either smaller companies or “generics” I only used “name brand” products over my career, (sikkins,(won’t ever use ever again) PPG, Sherwin Williams, DuPont, and Nason (DuPont generic) , because when ever I did, “mix lines” I got burned, usually really bad, so I’ve been researching Matrix systems, which has a complete line of products, primer-clear which is very important to me.
I know I’m probably the only person here now @STANDOXRESTO being the exception that actually reads the Technical Data Sheets that come with autobody refinishing materials but, they are often ambiguous especially when the “system” is incomplete or, isn’t recommenced or tested with certain products,
Ex.
DuPont uses and recommends 3m as companion products (3m sand paper, fillers, caulks etc.)
I’m just venting a little abot being apprehensive spending thousands of dollars on refinishing products only to apply them and have them fail within 2 years

THE FEZ MAN

This is starting to seem like you are gearing up to go back to work. :D
The guy at the supply house asked me if I was looking for work twice, I flatly turned him down. What is really interesting is that the couple of trips I’ve made there the sentiment is all the same with the people I’ve met there “I can’t get any help”

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Millenials don't want to do actual work.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

THE FEZ MAN

Millenials don't want to do actual work.
Nope, they have little interest in doing anything “constructive” expect exorbitant pay for entry level work and just flat out don’t show up I’ve seen it first hand

I don't either but I paid my dues.
Lol, me either, the bodyshop is a whores business run by insurance companies and prayed upon by lawyers. The only thing I would even consider doing is restoration work and even that would have to be done on my terms.
I figured that I’ve got close to 6 hours into repairing that inner wheel well on my truck and that’s just in the fabrication I still haven’t done the bondo work.
The cost is starting to amaze me also, thank god I stole so much sandpaper over the years because that shits close to $60 a box sometimes more.. I bought a tube of caulk today that was $50.
So far at topps alone I’ve spent $400 and I haven’t bought a drop of paint
I’m figuring that by the time I’m done I’m going to be well over $1500 in materials alone to finish, and, assholes want me to paint their car for $500.... I don’t need the practice

THE FEZ MAN

Ok, I’m obsessive.... matrix is valspar, which is sherwin Williams, I find it interesting how giant corporations have so many branches of the same shit.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
This may be the best thing ever. I personally don't trust anyone unless they have a smoke hanging out of their mouth.
Less than 5 minutes in MS Paint.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

THE FEZ MAN

I made the mistake of trying a new weld through primer for the final welding, ugggg what a mistake that was, I’m going to shit can that stuff and go back to the other brand, it splattered and popped and made a mess, hence the pidgin shit spot welds, I even cleaned it off the best I could but the damage was done. Only took and hour of grinding to fix it enough to apply filler.
So, I do not recommend Upol zinc weld through primer.

I used aluminum reenforced bodyfiller for my first coat, normally I wouldn’t bother with it because it gets as hard as a ******s head, but, I have it on hand and it works great as long as you don’t have to sand it too much, I just applied it over the welds the rest will get traditional body filler then spray polyester

ysr50

Donator

I made the mistake of trying a new weld through primer for the final welding, ugggg what a mistake that was, I’m going to shit can that stuff and go back to the other brand, it splattered and popped and made a mess, hence the pidgin shit spot welds, I even cleaned it off the best I could but the damage was done. Only took and hour of grinding to fix it enough to apply filler.
So, I do not recommend Upol zinc weld through primer.

I used aluminum reenforced bodyfiller for my first coat, normally I wouldn’t bother with it because it gets as hard as a ******s head, but, I have it on hand and it works great as long as you don’t have to sand it too much, I just applied it over the welds the rest will get traditional body filler then spray polyester
After the bodywork can you build a booth in your garage to paint it in, or can you take it to your old shop and paint there? Also, are you going to paint the whole truck or just the bed?

THE FEZ MAN

After the bodywork can you build a booth in your garage to paint it in, or can you take it to your old shop and paint there? Also, are you going to paint the whole truck or just the bed?
I’m going to spray the entire truck, shockingly the paint is in great condition it’s not all beat up and won’t require too much to get ready to spray, I’ve got some hail damage on the hood and fenders but that’s nothing a block and some highbuild primer can’t fix, I’m going to pull the front bumper and fix some rust under the headlamps on the fenders and I’m going to put Raptor bedliner on the bottom 1/3, (at the style line) the rockers and the wheel flares, I’m kind of up in the air about what to paint the bumpers with, part of me wants to use the raptor liner, but, the “hot rod” black is really easy to touch up and looks great, I’m planning on also re shooting the mirrors and door handles with the hot rod black, I’m also going get a professional bed liner sprayed in and have them do the tops of the bed rails also.
The guy that bought glorious leaders shop basically gave me card blanch to use whatever I want including the “new”paint booth, I’m planning on preparing the entire truck here at the house then driving it over stripped down and do the final tape and spray with basecoat clear, then the raptor liner. I might at least prime the bumpers here (new rear one is on its way) I’m them going to replace the hea lamps with fancy pants aftermarket projector HID (I’m getting old and cant see) an new rear LED.

Yes, I’m pouring money into a 15 year old truck, but, it only has 82k on it and perfectly suits my needs, I just can’t buy a new truck, they have too many bells and whistles, if I thought I could find one that wasn’t a complete rust bucket I would get an old 70’s power wagon and put a fuel injected motor in it