General Bitching and Moaning about your car/truck thread

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
I'm 2nd in line to merge onto a two lane road. The twat ahead of me of course stops short instead of going. I hit her rear bumper doing < 2mph. My speed was 'for off the break / not on the gas'. Her car has zero damage. My cars front grill is cracked to shit, and the entire front panel is cracked in multiple places.

Nissan Sentras have zero durability.

When I was a wee lad, my mother was doing 80 in a '76 Plymouth Scamp. A deer hit the passenger side door and bounced off into the trees. No damage at all beyond some blood.

The lease on the Sentra is up in may and I'm getting rid of this paper mache car.

I miss the old cars that were made of, you know, Metal.

Yesterdays Hero

How do you think new cars get sold?
I wasn't aware cars these days are made of hardened Play-Doh. First time in 40 years I've hit anything with a car.

It's cheaper to fix/replace a car than deal with medical bills.
The insurance industry lobbied for this to save money.
In the states. Yes. I'm up here in the Norf, yo. Shit's all kinds of weird with the price of things. Canucks don't have to deal with Medical Bills. Or Darkies. But we do have to deal with a Nancy as a Leader on the World Stage.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
In the states. Yes. I'm up here in the Norf, yo. Shit's all kinds of weird with the price of things. Canucks don't have to deal with Medical Bills.
Right but cars that are built for sale in North America all meet the same safety standards.
You want death rides you gotta buy junk built for sale and use outside the continent.

Yesterdays Hero

Right but cars that are built for sale in North America all meet the same safety standards.
You want death rides you gotta buy junk built for sale and use outside the continent.
Was thinking what I had was safe, and at the very least semi-durable. I honestly didn't think the front end would borderline collapse from a stiff breeze. Her car was a-ok. Mine had some hefty cosmetic damage.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Was thinking what I had was safe, and at the very least semi-durable. I honestly didn't think the front end would borderline collapse from a stiff breeze. Her car was a-ok. Mine had some hefty cosmetic damage.
You know the bes way to avoid that is to not rear end someone

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Gotta say, you do some really amazing work Fez... I've never seen an entire body rebuild done from scratch before, only ever seen the end result. Never really considered how much artistry and retarded amounts of hard work go into it. Kudos sir.

THE FEZ MAN

Gotta say, you do some really amazing work Fez... I've never seen an entire body rebuild done from scratch before, only ever seen the end result. Never really considered how much artistry and retarded amounts of hard work go into it. Kudos sir.
Thanks.
I’m shooting video of most of the process, if I can chain myself to a chair long enough to edit it down I will post it, it will show how much work is actually involved. It’s a lot. I really just want it done but, I can’t cut the same corners I would if I was “working”
“Back in the day” the restoration industry didn’t supply the amount or quality of the parts available today so the fabrication work I’m doing was common practice, also up until the mid 70’s manufactures didn’t sell a lot of repair parts that are common now like “complete” 1/4 panels or structural members so “sectioning” was common. “Bodymen” now days are glorified parts swappers. This isn’t a bad thing because the autobody industry revolves around “cycle time” ( how long a job takes) and what I’m doing is very time consuming

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Thanks.
I’m shooting video of most of the process, if I can chain myself to a chair long enough to edit it down I will post it, it will show how much work is actually involved. It’s a lot. I really just want it done but, I can’t cut the same corners I would if I was “working”
“Back in the day” the restoration industry didn’t supply the amount or quality of the parts available today so the fabrication work I’m doing was common practice, also up until the mid 70’s manufactures didn’t sell a lot of repair parts that are common now like “complete” 1/4 panels or structural members so “sectioning” was common. “Bodymen” now days are glorified parts swappers. This isn’t a bad thing because the autobody industry revolves around “cycle time” ( how long a job takes) and what I’m doing is very time consuming
Yeah man, no shit... I'm watching your photos and thinking to myself, "Goddamn, that must have taken him all fucking day!" Makes me feel silly about my little bullshit puttering around on my truck for a few hours to tinker with the engine shit. Compared to what you're doing here, engine work ain't shit. At least, the surface stuff I can do. Don't ask me to dig into the block, I'd be completely lost.

THE FEZ MAN

Yeah man, no shit... I'm watching your photos and thinking to myself, "Goddamn, that must have taken him all fucking day!" Makes me feel silly about my little bullshit puttering around on my truck for a few hours to tinker with the engine shit. Compared to what you're doing here, engine work ain't shit. At least, the surface stuff I can do. Don't ask me to dig into the block, I'd be completely lost.
Ironically, I’m not much of a “mechanic” I’ve never taken a car engine apart (head off pistons out) and had it last more than a few months, bodywork is completely different

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Regardless of manufacturer, compact cars seldom hold up well in even minor crashes. I
It's a Sentra. It's a small car. They aren't safe, no matter how many crumple zones or airbags it has. You can't ignore the laws of physics. But, bigger cars have the same issues - fiberglass/plastic bumpers that are very easy to damage, etc. At least trucks still have steel bumpers.

5skin

Ironically, I’m not much of a “mechanic” I’ve never taken a car engine apart (head off pistons out) and had it last more than a few months, bodywork is completely different
4.0 Pathfinder on my daughter's is torn down to the block right now for blown head gasket. Waiting on complete timing set now. And yes, it's a pia.

THE FEZ MAN

4.0 Pathfinder on my daughter's is torn down to the block right now for blown head gasket. Waiting on complete timing set now. And yes, it's a pia.
That’s dedication, font be an asshole like me and cheep out on the machine shop, that’s what burned me twice

5skin

That’s dedication, font be an asshole like me and cheep out on the machine shop, that’s what burned me twice
Heads were magnaflux tested before planing and valves lapped.
The biggest pia was the timing cover/case is bolted on from the back side then loaded with 30/40 parts and pieces. Sliders were all worn through so they'll be new again. Only 126k on the rig.

THE FEZ MAN

Heads were magnaflux tested before planing and valves lapped.
The biggest pia was the timing cover/case is bolted on from the back side then loaded with 30/40 parts and pieces. Sliders were all worn through so they'll be new again. Only 126k on the rig.
My buddy junked one that needed a timing chain because it’s such a shit job, engineers should be forced to repair their great ideas

5skin

My buddy junked one that needed a timing chain because it’s such a shit job, engineers should be forced to repair their great ideas
Only thing left once it was out was head bolts to pull. No shit.
Of course they're torque yield bolts.

THE FEZ MAN

Only thing left once it was out was head bolts to pull. No shit.
Of course they're torque yield bolts.
Last “head” I did was on that old 85 325es BMW it immediately leaked