General Bitching and Moaning about your car/truck thread

Thanks.
I’m shooting video of most of the process, if I can chain myself to a chair long enough to edit it down I will post it, it will show how much work is actually involved. It’s a lot. I really just want it done but, I can’t cut the same corners I would if I was “working”
“Back in the day” the restoration industry didn’t supply the amount or quality of the parts available today so the fabrication work I’m doing was common practice, also up until the mid 70’s manufactures didn’t sell a lot of repair parts that are common now like “complete” 1/4 panels or structural members so “sectioning” was common. “Bodymen” now days are glorified parts swappers. This isn’t a bad thing because the autobody industry revolves around “cycle time” ( how long a job takes) and what I’m doing is very time consuming
Used to do fairly high level demolition derby, we used to talk about it, we just had to make stuff strong, making it pretty is a whole different level.

ysr50

Donator
Last “head” I did was on that old 85 325es BMW it immediately leaked
The one and only head I ever did was a 22r while the engine was still installed in my truck. Replaced damn near everything on the front of the engine since I already had it apart. It lasted another 100,000 miles for me and was still running fine when I sold the truck. I cannot do the kind of work you're doing to your truck, but I can appreciate it.

ysr50

Donator
Looks more like a full size chassis. My 63 and 64 Impalas looked similar to that.
Camaros always had some form of unibody if I recall correctly.
You're probably right, for some reason I have it stuck in my head that the first generation Camaros had a frame like that. @Turfmower , what is that?

ysr50

Donator
I poked around on the intertubes and it certainly resembles a '61 Riviera or a Cadillac.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

So, I got sick and tired of grinding down 148” of MiG spot welds so I whipped out my Tig welder and just flowed them together, I absolutely do love my Lincoln MiG 180 but after grinding down two 2# spools of wire I’m getting a little weary of it, I know my heat effected area is greater but I’m hoping that the shape of the part and the extra sheet metal helped maintain its arc and it didn’t twist up too much, I know I’m going to have to do some final hammer and dolly work once it’s welded back onto the truck but I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to “cut a corner” (mostly I was sick of listening to the fucking air grinder

ysr50

Donator

So, I got sick and tired of grinding down 148” of MiG spot welds so I whipped out my Tig welder and just flowed them together, I absolutely do love my Lincoln MiG 180 but after grinding down two 2# spools of wire I’m getting a little weary of it, I know my heat effected area is greater but I’m hoping that the shape of the part and the extra sheet metal helped maintain its arc and it didn’t twist up too much, I know I’m going to have to do some final hammer and dolly work once it’s welded back onto the truck but I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to “cut a corner” (mostly I was sick of listening to the fucking air grinder
You need to clean your shop. I'm not trying to be an asshole, a clean shop will produce better work. Put the project on hold, take a day or two and clean up, then get back at it. I'm not saying throw away half of your stuff, just put everything away neatly. And at the end of the day put all of your stuff back where it should be. It seems like simple math but it really does make working on anything 100% better.

5skin

You need to clean your shop. I'm not trying to be an asshole, a clean shop will produce better work. Put the project on hold, take a day or two and clean up, then get back at it. I'm not saying throw away half of your stuff, just put everything away neatly. And at the end of the day put all of your stuff back where it should be. It seems like simple math but it really does make working on anything 100% better.
He's in a garage sized for a buggy. Where exactly is everything supposed to be put away neatly to?!

My shop is a mess with a semi getting diff changed, a Cummins pickup getting a new trans, Pathfinder torn down to the block and a pile of used scrap parts the junk guy will haul off sometime. Projects get crammed through and back in service as quickly as possible with few issues.

ysr50

Donator
He's in a garage sized for a buggy. Where exactly is everything supposed to be put away neatly to?!

My shop is a mess with a semi getting diff changed, a Cummins pickup getting a new trans, Pathfinder torn down to the block and a pile of used scrap parts the junk guy will haul off sometime. Projects get crammed through and back in service as quickly as possible with few issues.
If you're happy working in a mess then have at it. It bothers me when every horizontal surface in a shop is cluttered unnecessarily. When the space a person works in is uncluttered and clean that person will be much happier doing hard things because they won't be frustrated by a fucking mess every time they turn around. If someone sets a cup of coffee on my toolbox and doesn't pick it up when they walk away they might find that cup of coffee in a place that they wouldn't expect, spilled of course. I worked briefly with a guy that if he came to work and found anything that someone else had put on top of his toolbox he would literally arm sweep the top of his box and knock everything onto the floor, didn't give a fuck about what those parts might be.

5skin

If you're happy working in a mess then have at it. It bothers me when every horizontal surface in a shop is cluttered unnecessarily. When the space a person works in is uncluttered and clean that person will be much happier doing hard things because they won't be frustrated by a fucking mess every time they turn around. If someone sets a cup of coffee on my toolbox and doesn't pick it up when they walk away they might find that cup of coffee in a place that they wouldn't expect, spilled of course. I worked briefly with a guy that if he came to work and found anything that someone else had put on top of his toolbox he would literally arm sweep the top of his box and knock everything onto the floor, didn't give a fuck about what those parts might be.
Work benches get cleared for individual projects and ongoing projects into clear storage bins. Right now the only project on a bench is the timing set laid out on clean cardboard.
There's still crap everywhere for several ongoing major projects tho.

For a production shop with several different people and sets of tools I can see where keeping things tight is better. If nothing more than for billing purposes.

ysr50

Donator
Work benches get cleared for individual projects and ongoing projects into clear storage bins. Right now the only project on a bench is the timing set laid out on clean cardboard.
There's still crap everywhere for several ongoing major projects tho.

For a production shop with several different people and sets of tools I can see where keeping things tight is better. If nothing more than for billing purposes.
It's just my opinion, and it's been shaped by decades of working on/in/around aviation. There is no reasonable explanation for working in a shithole of your own making. It fucking pisses me off when I go into a shop bathroom and it's so disgusting I'd rather piss outside, the people using it spend a large portion of their life there (the shop,not the bathroom) and treat it like shit, do they treat their house that way? Why wouldn't you want the place you work to be as nice as your house?

THE FEZ MAN

You’re 100% correct, but, I’m actually using a good bit of that stuff, I’m also very very cramped for space, all of the things I’m using are out, because I’m using them and when I’m done using them the empty cans go right into the trash, but it’s silly for me to spray something, put the can back in the cabinet which is on the other side of the shop blocked by my truck, all the tools go back when I’m done using them for the job, not the end of the day.
I’m also a fucking slob, always have been, I can completely clean my shop from top to bottom and I can do one simple project and it looks like a bomb went off.
My immediate work area is “clean” about a 24” circle unless I’m switching back and forth between tools (which I have to do often) bodywork like I’m doing, requires a lot of tools to be used often, so you will see 10 clamps two or three hammers Dolly’s welding shit etc because I’m using all of them, it’s completely impractical time wise for me to walk back and forth to my tool box 100x a day.
I work / clean in stages, after I completed the lift kit I went through swept up and put all my tools away and cleared off all the benches, then I started on the bodywork, it’s interesting because as I’m going through the video you can see it degrade into a mess as I go deeper and deeper into the project. The other “ joke” is I’m using my trash can as a painting,cutting table so there’s shit all around the trash can but it’s half empty.

When I’m done the “metal work” all that shit will be cleaned off, because it’s covered in metal filings, and put back where it belongs, the floor will be vacuumed/blown out, all of the sheet metal will be put back and the empty boxes will be filled with trash, then the mess will start all over again with “bodywork” tools, sanders, spreaders, tape, etc. then when all the “bondo” work is done, I will put all that shit back and start the “paint prep” part of the project.

But, you are 100% correct, having a clean work environment is much safer and healthier, truth be told, part of the reason I wanted to “smooth” those welds with the tig instead to grinding was two fold, I’m worried about sparks igniteing somthing along with not wanting to listen to the grinder anymore. The tig is quiet and i can use it to fuse the hundreds of individual spots

5skin

It's just my opinion, and it's been shaped by decades of working on/in/around aviation. There is no reasonable explanation for working in a shithole of your own making. It fucking pisses me off when I go into a shop bathroom and it's so disgusting I'd rather piss outside, the people using it spend a large portion of their life there (the shop,not the bathroom) and treat it like shit, do they treat their house that way? Why wouldn't you want the place you work to be as nice as your house?
Because it's my shop with mostly my projects tools stay on the cart until the project is done. Not putting everything away to have to get it out again to resume.
Bathrooms are clean, break area clean, stuff about for projects. It's a working shop to keep equipment in the field and trucks on the road, not a showplace for customers. Idc if the there's things about when a dozer needs to get out fast or a driver is waiting to get on the road. Just needs done, we'll shovel the dirt out after it's gone and and reload the tool cart with what's needed for the next job.
I'd love to be able to take time to detail the shop but that would mean stopping projects and putting everything away making it more work just to begin again. Maybe someday it'll slow down that much as things clear out and ongoing builds get finished. Trying to sell three projects that take up every weekend now.

My point to Fez's place is space, he's limited so there's bound to be things out.

THE FEZ MAN

Part of my problem is that I want a wood shop, and I’m trying to do bodywork in it, so I’m tripping over my wood working tools (table saw, wood etc) I’m also using a large amount of tools, I should shoot a video showing how much shit i actually have out, almost 90% of my fabrication tools are in use, not counting the hammers and Dolly’s I’m not using, those are still wrapped in plastic wrap and grease. I’ve got at least 20 different clamps, 4 drills, 4-5 assorted grinders and cutters, it’s a lot of shit and I’m using almost all of it, yes there is some needless clutter but not as much as it looks like.
It’s funny, I have 4 vices and every one of them is holding somthing, the only one that’s not actively being used is the one with the aluminum jaws, and, that’s actually holding my dog leash / tiki’s heat lamp, so, it’s being used also

I still have to fabricate 4 more pieces of sheet metal before I can start welding the inner panel back in, once I’m done with the fabrication I can start putting some of that shit away.

THE FEZ MAN

I've got 200 gigs of video of this project.... instead i shoot and excuse for me being a slob video

blazin

So about a year ago my gas gauge suddenly stopped working on my 01 V8-swapped Blazer

I was like ok probably the sending unit so I ordered one and never put it in...until the other day

and it still didnt work

So I did some fishing...there's a loom of wires coming up the frame rail from the tank towards the front, with a disconnect mid frame....looking there and poking around i noticed the wires were all fucked up. Pulled the loom and tape off and this is what I have....

Since this truck is not a daily and sits for periods of time, I can only assume some fucking mouse or something ate my shit.

Mice are assholes
Gay assholes
Worthless pieces of shit
Saw one in the house just a half hour ago
1st one in a few years
5 traps baited and deployed
3 different types

blazin

I saw one in my garage when I first moved in. Probably got in when i had the door open. As of now, I think im in the clear. Garage is pretty clean and I don't see any new turds.

And now both of my trucks are garage kept.