General Bitching and Moaning about your car/truck thread

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Realistic, Sparkomatic, or Jensen?

Kraco. Delux model. Straight from the Crutchfield catalog to my door. $3 extra for c.o.d. fuckin' A.

The head unit is a “boss” :rolleyes: but it was $269 with a 6” screen and, back up camera and GPS I could have gone cheaper but that’s as low as I wanted to go,
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_104BN965BL/Boss-BN965BLC.html
I bought a “duel” (Crutchfield house brand) for my VW (single DIN) and it’s worked flawlessly
I also bought a small amp. A pioneer powered under seat sub, a pair of pioneer 6 1/2” component speakers for the front and a pair of pioneer 5 way 6x9 for theback doors, I’m going to have to surface mount those probably or at least mount them to the door and mount the screens to the door panel, I did it in my old Durango and they worked out great.
Amp
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_777M754/Sound-Ordnance-M75-4.html

Sub
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSWX130/Pioneer-TS-WX130DA.html

Front speakers

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSA652C/Pioneer-TS-A652C.html

Rears
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSA699F/Pioneer-TS-A6990F.html

Camera, yes I know the radio comes with a camera but I like this one better, if I wanna be a complete fucking tool I can mount the extra one in the front
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_249CUB15/Crux-CUB-15.html

And, let’s remember, I’m fucking half deef so, the $1000 system is going to be just fine, I ordered the stuff from Crutchfield because they have stellar customer service, and, my shit will be here Tuesday

THE FEZ MAN

aftermarket stereos have got so cheap in the last few years since all the auto manufacturers have stepped up their game with great sounding factory systems. The in dash video screen and GPS systems are very reasonable. I still see stereo shops open for business so I guess it is just hard core systems that the owners can't do the installs themselves.
A lot of people are absolutely terrified to crack open a dashboard, not to mention all the wireing that’s involved, I figured it’s going to take me probably two full days to install all that shit “correctly” I’m a stickler for wire looms, wire routing, plugs, solder etc
I’m also probably going to have to do some serious cutting behind the dash to get shit to fit, pull out the front seats and center console and cut holes in the A pillar trim to mount the tweeters, I’m up in the air on how I’m going to rout the power for the amps, I may run one 8ga wire to a terminal block and split it, they aren’t that powerful so 4ga is probably overkill

I have a sparkomatic AM FM cassette I got in a box of stuff. I'll give it to you if you promise to install it.

THE FEZ MAN

So, it took me all day to assemble my rear bumper, I’m getting really slow, but, in my defense I built a wireing harness and had to fiddle with some of the holes to get the back up lights to be straight, when I drilled the mounting holes and welded in the brackets I knew I was going to have to tweak them.
I’m really liking the new shrink solder connectors I bought from amazon so far I’m also quite happy with how it’s going, I also built it “plug and play” so that took longer than it should have, but, now to take it on and off it’s just two plugs like a factory installation

Haeder

South Dakota
So, it took me all day to assemble my rear bumper, I’m getting really slow, but, in my defense I built a wireing harness and had to fiddle with some of the holes to get the back up lights to be straight, when I drilled the mounting holes and welded in the brackets I knew I was going to have to tweak them.
I’m really liking the new shrink solder connectors I bought from amazon so far I’m also quite happy with how it’s going, I also built it “plug and play” so that took longer than it should have, but, now to take it on and off it’s just two plugs like a factory installation
I enjoy wiring work.

A clean and working installation creates a great deal of satisfaction. So does finishing the job with quality switches and components.

Do you talk to your work like Private Joker talked to his rifle? Bet Ralph wonders if you're losing your mind at least three times a day.

ysr50

Donator
I wouldn't worry about how long it takes to do it right, it's yours and you have the luxury of no one setting a deadline for you. I'm assuming the shrink solder splices you're talking about are similar to what we call enviromental splices, they look like these..
https://www.newark.com/productimage...CHen2ODEWWR0AP1w&01RI=F340989F7196D44&01NA=na
They aren't solder splices, you need a set of special crimpers for the actual splice and then a heat gun to shrink the insulation and melt the seals at each end. It's all we use in non-pressurized areas where the lack of atmosphere will allow much easier arcing. Takes a little longer, but it's the right way to do it.

THE FEZ MAN

I enjoy wiring work.

A clean and working installation creates a great deal of satisfaction. So does finishing the job with quality switches and components.

Do you talk to your work like Private Joker talked to his rifle? Bet Ralph wonders if you're losing your mind at least three times a day.
Yea there’s a lot of mumbling going on while I’m working, that’s actually kind of why I started filming the stuff I’ve been doing, I figured if I’m going to mumble to my self while I’m working I mine as well record it

THE FEZ MAN

I wouldn't worry about how long it takes to do it right, it's yours and you have the luxury of no one setting a deadline for you. I'm assuming the shrink solder splices you're talking about are similar to what we call enviromental splices, they look like these..
https://www.newark.com/productimage...CHen2ODEWWR0AP1w&01RI=F340989F7196D44&01NA=na
They aren't solder splices, you need a set of special crimpers for the actual splice and then a heat gun to shrink the insulation and melt the seals at each end. It's all we use in non-pressurized areas where the lack of atmosphere will allow much easier arcing. Takes a little longer, but it's the right way to do it.
No I’m using different ones on this project, I’ve used those in the past on a boat project and wasn’t really happy with them but that’s what the customer bought and insisted I use.
I’ve been using these,

I like the way they shrink and I like that they are clear so you can watch the solder flow into the joint, they also have glue in them, that you can watch melt and flow.
I was using a different brand but the solder had a tendency to squirt out and that renders them not only useless but possibly a short. I also put shrink wrap over the butt connectors, then split black wire loom and finish the ends with good 3m electrical tape

I also installed these on both back up lights, I actually plan on using them on each of the front fog lamps also if for some odd reason I’m forced to remove an individual light I can do that, because I’m using the halo rings I need to use two per lamp, I’m then going to wire in a four hole plug so it will be one plug on each side of the bumper to install it.

Sadly I had to “hard wire” the license plate lights because of their design but, it’s wired into the old tag light harness so it has a plug to the body harness

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...oAf4IvWIlIwztKLgbAJ-OXlpR-8k8VPsaAvQMEALw_wcB

Those look awesome by the way.

I also whipped out my plug kit and threw together one of these (two hole) to join the back up lights and the power for the back up camera that I will have to tap into the bed side harness for, so , I wanted a “factory looking” plug and not the LED connectors also they just snap in, the led plugs need to be screwed together

Putting all that shit together and deciding how I’m going to rout and stay the wires is what takes so much time, luckily for e I only fucked up one pin and one of the LED plugs and that was just forgetting to put the shrink wrap on, no big deal, I just wrapped the joint in tape then put it in the split loom, the shrink wrap was only for looks anyway.

THE FEZ MAN

Damn I love Crutchfield, shipped yesterday at my door today

luckily for e I only fucked up one pin and one of the LED plugs and that was just forgetting to put the shrink wrap on, no big deal, I just wrapped the joint in tape then put it in the split loom, the shrink wrap was only for looks anyway.
But you'll know it's not perfect
I hope it doesn't cause you to lose sleep over it :action-sm

THE FEZ MAN

That little helper hand tool is the greatest for soldering wiring and harnesses. Also is ideal for when you're soldering directly into wires in the vehicle.
Yea I love that thing so much I have two, I’m building as much of the harness as I can on the bench, I’ve got to decide if I want to build two more of those plugs 6 way (male and female) or choose a side (drivers side most likely) and extend the bumper harness to one side, I need to tap into the fog lights, and the parking lamps I’m leaning towards one plug tapped into the truck harness as close to the fuse box as possible, and I would rather have one single big plug for assembly, I’m still waiting on my projector headlamps to get here, the boat from china is slowwwwwww

Lamps test fit in the bumper pre raptor liner

THE FEZ MAN

I spent most of my day taking out the seats and making mounting brackets for my amp, mounting its and I started making the wiring harness, and hooking up ththe ground/power leads, I’m all ready to start running the control wire and the speaker wires out of the amp, I go over to my work bench to get the instructions just so I can check them, I also like reading instructions before doing any permanent wiring and I like to read the instructions....

Apparently tiki also wanted the instructions.... fucking dog

Hey guess what snow is hard... went a tad too far right off a long bend about a 1/4 mile from my house. And yep all the damage was caused by snow. I thought for sure dude had rocks on his lawn... nope.

Yes this little off roading adventure will cost about $1800... well only $250 deductible really... plus an alignment.