General Bitching and Moaning about your car/truck thread

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
They may check it during inspection. If the dvd player works without the brake set you fail. Thus the hidden bypass switch
In Pa they don't actually have a set regulation on that for state inspections.
I've never bothered checking any of them.

click

Really? Jersey does...of course its jersey so
Jersey hardly checks for anything anymore. I passed with a cracked windshield
and exhaust leak. As far as I could tell they just checked to make sure the gas
cap wasn't leaking fumes. This was at a state inspection station.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
They also check to see if you cleared your codes before coming in, but yeah, that's about the only thing NJ has gotten off our dicks about.

click

They also check to see if you cleared your codes before coming in, but yeah, that's ab they woulout the only thing NJ has gotten off our dicks about.
I didn't know that about the engine codes. I heard that a check engine light
is still an auto fail. Have you even been to an inspection station lately?
The only thing they got off our dicks about? Did you forget about how
they used to check every little thing?

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
I didn't know that about the engine codes. I heard that a check engine light
is still an auto fail. Have you even been to an inspection station lately?
The only thing they got off our dicks about? Did you forget about how
they used to check every little thing?
Back in October when I picked up my Mountaineer. They dinged me the first time out because I did my repairs, cleared my code for the small evap leak, and brought it in. They made me wait 200 miles before bringing it back so all the sensors could report in to the ECS.

And hell yeah I remember the bad old days. Even if everything else was perfect, a bad gas cap would get you a rejected sticker. I once failed for misaligned headlights. I couldn't believe they actually measured my headlight throw, but they did.

click

Back in October when I picked up my Mountaineer. They dinged me the first time out because I did my repairs, cleared my code for the small evap leak, and brought it in. They made me wait 200 miles before bringing it back so all the sensors could report in to the ECS.

And hell yeah I remember the bad old days. Even if everything else was perfect, a bad gas cap would get you a rejected sticker. I once failed for misaligned headlights. I couldn't believe they actually measured my headlight throw, but they did.
Yep, they even checked the horn lol

I did get alignment done as it felt "odd" driving... and yep...

Oh and the camber is not adjustable on my truck... glad I got it done before the deluge of wet snow we got today.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
I ran the inflatable spray booth past the wife, and guess what? She said “fuck that kid, order it” ..... holy fuck.... so, I Picked one off eBay that had free shipping from the US supposed to be from N.J. I hope to have it by the end of the week, and not have to wait a month for it to show up from china. I’m as shocked as anyone I figured I was going to have to beg more.
Damn! She's gonna put you to work. You're gonna be painting cars for neighbors, people at work, etc. :)

They also check to see if you cleared your codes before coming in, but yeah, that's about the only thing NJ has gotten off our dicks about.
The 5-year sticker on brand new cars and the 2-year inspection was always something I thought PA should start doing.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
Kommmifornia only does a smog check every 2 years on vehicles newer than 1976, and on new vehicles, they are exempt for the first 6 years but you have to pay a fee that is added to your tags each year that is equivalent to paying for a smog check, because, commies. We don't have any kind of safety or compliance checks. Just evil smog. I have to take my TDI VW in every 2 years and pay a mechanic to look under the hood and then print out my smog cert.

There has been some discussion of getting rid of the yearly visual inspections we have to get done here...

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
I have no idea. I havent been to an inspection in almost 6yrs. My trucks GVW and age was high enough to be exempt

MurphCO

Enough of this palaver
Donator
Fucking check engine light came on AGAIN

this is the 5th time in less than a year since I bought it, going to the dealership to shoot a fucking world star video tomorrow

I am hoping they will just work with me on replacing the fucking thing

Misfire in one of the cylinders, they have fixed it twice, then replaced all of the parts last time, so it made it 5,000 miles between last time and now.

Went in this morning and......you know it’s bad when every guy in the service department knows you by name....dropped the key and the sales guy I know walked up right then, so they made me a sweet deal to avoid the lemon law, bought a brand new and nicer Edge for the same price I got the Escape for origunally

Dumb to have to do it, but I’m glad that albatross is off my neck....buyer beware on that shit.

The service guy told me they have about 4 others with the same problems coming in and out of service, sounds like it’s gonna be a recall

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Went in this morning and......you know it’s bad when every guy in the service department knows you by name....dropped the key and the sales guy I know walked up right then, so they made me a sweet deal to avoid the lemon law, bought a brand new and nicer Edge for the same price I got the Escape for origunally

Dumb to have to do it, but I’m glad that albatross is off my neck....buyer beware on that shit.

The service guy told me they have about 4 others with the same problems coming in and out of service, sounds like it’s gonna be a recall

As long as you didn’t lose too much it is oftentimes better to just get a new car, one of my buddies had a first generation Colorado that ended up needing two wiring harnesses and it took almost a year to fix

THE FEZ MAN

So, today’s update, I took the head liner out, and get this, it was shockingly easy, like “holy fuck it came right out. I had read on the interwebs that it as a nightmare job, because it wouldn’t fit out of any of the doors, it slid right out.

Now removing the glue and old fucked up foam that was a completely different mess, I hope I don’t fuck up but I decided to use a water based citrus degreaser and a scotchbrite to remove it, the headliner was some kind of fiberglass but it did absorb some of the water, I plan on heating it to cook out the water and spraying it with epoxy and possibly putting a layer of glass on it to give the raptor liner something to adhere to,, I don’t want to put cloth back on it I was originally going to paint it but I like the raptor liner a lot

THE FEZ MAN

Well, I coated the headliner with epoxy and fiberglass, it worked out ok but I did kind of drop the ball with the heat (too cold) and had some flow problems which resulted in a over saturated layup, not a huge deal but I will have some sanding to do which I didn’t want to and it’s probably going to take an extra few days to cure before I can prime it. I also had to give up on my headlamps from the place in California and I ordered them from amazon, I’m quite excited for my booth to show up, I also started to prep the fender flares for the raptor liner, it’s one of those jobs that I completely detest, removing the double sided tape and the adhesive properly is a tedious task. I need to pick up an adapter to go from my shower head in the basement to a water hose so I can get hot water out to the garage so I can start washing the truck and the rest of the stuff I need to paint. I was hoping to do all that at the shop right before paint but meh, it is what it is.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
is the headliner going to be strong enough to support the raptor liner? My neighbor did his bed with that and it came out good. I am going to do the floor and fire wall and back of the cab on my GMC with it, I want to be able to just hose the interior out.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
yeah when the temperatures drop, you have to add extra catalyst to get fiberglass to kick off in any kind of reasonable time. There is really no set amount to use, you have to basically guess but if it is going to be rather thin like laying up a layer of cloth and a layer of mat as opposed to pouring a casting or so, you can make it quite hot and be safe.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
You replacing the carpeting too? Because with that headliner and the door hardware, the rest is gonna look pretty worn by comparison. Your build is starting to really look sweet as hell!

EDIT: Duh. Those handles are the outside, not inside. Disregard or call me an idiot.

THE FEZ MAN

yeah when the temperatures drop, you have to add extra catalyst to get fiberglass to kick off in any kind of reasonable time. There is really no set amount to use, you have to basically guess but if it is going to be rather thin like laying up a layer of cloth and a layer of mat as opposed to pouring a casting or so, you can make it quite hot and be safe.
Actually the formula is 2% by weight no matter what the temperature is (above 55deg)
Epoxy will get hard at any temp above freezing but it helps to bring it to at least 65 to kick start the reaction

is the headliner going to be strong enough to support the raptor liner? My neighbor did his bed with that and it came out good. I am going to do the floor and fire wall and back of the cab on my GMC with it, I want to be able to just hose the interior out.

I didn’t take photos, just video, of the entire lay up process I did on the head liner, I had some kind of heavy ish tight weave cloth laying around that was the proper size to cover the entire head liner in one piece so I just did it that way, I didn’t use polyester resin (fiber glass resin) to do the lay up I used west system Epoxy, I actually like using epoxy rather than polyester I find it easier to handle, but I fucked up because I didn’t warm the resin before using it so it was like trying to lay up with honey but it did work ok, but a little “resin rich” if I had done it correctly I would have ended up with a more preferred finish, I was hoping that the weave would have shown through evenly but it ended up pooling in a few of the low spots and I had a few puckers, so I just decided to do the raptor liner. I also put a coat of “rat rod black” on it to knock down the shine

THE FEZ MAN

You replacing the carpeting too? Because with that headliner and the door hardware, the rest is gonna look pretty worn by comparison. Your build is starting to really look sweet as hell!

EDIT: Duh. Those handles are the outside, not inside. Disregard or call me an idiot.
Well, you’re an idiot but, replacing of the carpet would have been a good idea, if it was torn up, but it is in shockingly good shape, I’m planning on scrubbing the rest of the interior panels and a good vacuum of the carpet before I re install them, because I’m a filthy disgusting smoker the grey interior parts are kind of tar yellow that will come off with purple power, I am probably going to buy a set of “weather tech” floor mats

Well, you’re an idiot but, replacing of the carpet would have been a good idea, if it was torn up, but it is in shockingly good shape, I’m planning on scrubbing the rest of the interior panels and a good vacuum of the carpet before I re install them, because I’m a filthy disgusting smoker the grey interior parts are kind of tar yellow that will come off with purple power, I am probably going to buy a set of “weather tech” floor mats
If they make them for your vehicle check out Husky for floor mats. The Husky's just look better, have deeper grooves for spills or melted ice. They have a bit more rubbery texture and they clean up with ease, that APC/Degreaser you mentioned even heavily diluted.

Speaking of Purple Power, have you ever tried Super Clean? It also comes in a purple jug and is just as strong (undiluted is almost too strong) but it doesn't have that knock out punch odor that PP and some other APC's have.