General Bitching and Moaning about your car/truck thread

I bet you won't

I see big trucks running 6 or even 8 lights all the time and it is mostly the sandaboos but they seem to get away with it. Legally all you can have is 4 burning at a time and there is a lumens limit too but I don't think many cops carry around meters to check that. I wish they did, some trucks really blind everybody they meet. I think as long as they are adjusted correctly and not obnoxious they should be fine. or blue, I hate the blue lights.
As Fez mentioned, HIDs or intense LEDs need to have projectors and cutoffs designed for them. You should even see the drivers side cutoff is even lower than the passenger light so that there is even less chance to be in the face of an oncoming lane.

Like this:

Until these lamps came around we all had reflective housings which are great at amplifying the weak halogen bulb. But when you put an intense light in there the reflective housing just throws the light everywhere. My 2016 Tacoma came with halogen housings but still have the cutoffs in them.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
As Fez mentioned, HIDs or intense LEDs need to have projectors and cutoffs designed for them. You should even see the drivers side cutoff is even lower than the passenger light so that there is even less chance to be in the face of an oncoming lane.

Like this:

Until these lamps came around we all had reflective housings which are great at amplifying the weak halogen bulb. But when you put an intense light in there the reflective housing just throws the light everywhere. My 2016 Tacoma came with halogen housings but still have the cutoffs in them.
The trucks I mentioned are using the cheap, bar lights you can buy in the desired length for the top of your dune buggy and they strap them to their grills and then also have fog lights and normal high and low beams on, no cut offs or even a concern to the oncoming traffic.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
The trucks I mentioned are using the cheap, bar lights you can buy in the desired length for the top of your dune buggy and they strap them to their grills and then also have fog lights and normal high and low beams on, no cut offs or even a concern to the oncoming traffic.
Assholes

I got a warning from the po-po for my 25% window tint. Dumb cop has darker windows than mine, and if I got tags in another state they couldn't do shit if it's legal in the state my tags are from. I'm very close to the Oklahoma line, lots of people tag their cars in Oklahoma because the taxes are cheaper.

THE FEZ MAN

I got a warning from the po-po for my 25% window tint. Dumb cop has darker windows than mine, and if I got tags in another state they couldn't do shit if it's legal in the state my tags are from. I'm very close to the Oklahoma line, lots of people tag their cars in Oklahoma because the taxes are cheaper.
Window tint, the “catch all” you don’t fave fancy rims and a great full dead sticker on the window do you?
I wanted to tint the front passenger windows on I’m truck but thought better of it

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
got the front end back on, some plumbing done and now it is time to pull the bed off to make mounts for tool boxes and paint it. Also need to build a fuel tank and mount the exhaust and transmission cooler. It is a lot tighter for space than I was thinking. Turbo is high but should clear the hood, if not i guess I can cut a hole for it ;)

THE FEZ MAN

got the front end back on, some plumbing done and now it is time to pull the bed off to make mounts for tool boxes and paint it. Also need to build a fuel tank and mount the exhaust and transmission cooler. It is a lot tighter for space than I was thinking. Turbo is high but should clear the hood, if not i guess I can cut a hole for it ;)

That thing is going to be cool when it’s done.

So, I finally broke down and went out in the dark with my new LED high beams.

Ugggggg they are awful I am going to have to fiddle with them, it’s not the bulb they are plenty bright but the light that comes out of the reflector housing.
I’m going to rotate the physical bulb 90deg in the housing to see if that helps with the “throw” and maybe try to adjust them up a little, if that doesn’t work I’m not sure exactly what I’m going to do, they are so bad they actually have a “black spot” right in front of the truck. If it doesn’t straighten out I may have to look into adding additional lights to act as high beams

That thing is going to be cool when it’s done.

So, I finally broke down and went out in the dark with my new LED high beams.

Ugggggg they are awful I am going to have to fiddle with them, it’s not the bulb they are plenty bright but the light that comes out of the reflector housing.
I’m going to rotate the physical bulb 90deg in the housing to see if that helps with the “throw” and maybe try to adjust them up a little, if that doesn’t work I’m not sure exactly what I’m going to do, they are so bad they actually have a “black spot” right in front of the truck. If it doesn’t straighten out I may have to look into adding additional lights to act as high beams
That's the flaw with LED headlights, they just don't throw unless the housing is tuned specifically for them. Was the aftermarket housing you got designed for HID?

Some of those LEDs have a screw you can loosen to be able to rotate withing itself since you really don't have much play for rotating them via the housing.

THE FEZ MAN

That's the flaw with LED headlights, they just don't throw unless the housing is tuned specifically for them. Was the aftermarket housing you got designed for HID?

Some of those LEDs have a screw you can loosen to be able to rotate withing itself since you really don't have much play for rotating them via the housing.
The housing was designed for H1 halogen, but, part of the reason I switched out the halogen for the LED was the halogen was unacceptably dim and the “throw” was incredibly bad, I should try to take a photo of how awful it is. The LEDs I bought are designed to be rotated in their mounts so you can adjust where the light hits the reflector I’m going to try that.

I’m going to rotate the bulb so it picks up the smooth part of the reflector hopefully that will eliminate the dark spot right in front of the truck.
I had 360deg of options I apparently choose poorly, both lamps are aligned the same.
I hate to have to buy new ones, I waited forever for them and they actually fit perfectly in the housings.
Sadly the projector part works perfectly so I’m not changing it, if I run my “fog lights” with the low beams it’s actually better than the high beams

THE FEZ MAN

I wired the headlights wrong and try to worm my way out of it, quite full of self deprecating annotations

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
Now that the Rat Shack closed, it is hard to find resistors anymore without having to buy an entire container full of them from Maos dollarama.

THE FEZ MAN

Now that the Rat Shack closed, it is hard to find resistors anymore without having to buy an entire container full of them from Maos dollarama.
I had a bag of them laying around from when my dad was alive, the big orange ones in the heat sink I bought from the headlight place

THE FEZ MAN

I recommend you switch to blue denim coveralls. :D
You don’t like my brown farmer johns? I love those things, also my wife hates them. The white suit is on its way out, I can’t get it remotely clean, so I bought blue ones but they aren’t as comfortable

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
You should do that to your Beetle.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Dicktator

I need a Vacation
@THE FEZ MAN or any other person with an opinion. My boat has become very oxidized from neglect. My boat, It's not any sort of prize show winnig vessel but I do want it to look a little nicer. Any recomendation on a buffing compound for fiberglass

THE FEZ MAN

You should do that to your Beetle.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I thought about it for about an hour, but, I would end up losing a lot of space I need, I honestly drive with a bit of a gangster lean and it looks like the seats lose almost all of their recline and I would have to give up 75% of my stereo which is the ne of the things I love about that shit box

THE FEZ MAN

@THE FEZ MAN or any other person with an opinion. My boat has become very oxidized from neglect. My boat, It's not any sort of prize show winnig vessel but I do want it to look a little nicer. Any recomendation on a buffing compound for fiberglass
Ok, that’s actually a really difficult question, if it’s “white” my first piece of advice is to mix up a batch of “whitener”
2cups of westlys blechwhite
1/4 cup of dawn dish soap
In a 5 gallon bucket
Use a “car washing” brush scrub the shit out of it keep it wet, brush in one hand hose in the other don’t let it dry with the soap mix on it because it will stain and streak, but, I will absolutely turn white again
And, strip off anything that’s on it wax, oil sap etc.

After that look at the finish, if it’s still “dead” dull, lifeless like a dolls eye or a sheet of ass wipe now the fun begins.

Go out and buy a real buffer I suggest this one

A Velcro backing pad, and some 3m wool buffing pads

These are double sided which work great for boats

And this kit

THE FEZ MAN

@Dicktator or, find a local detail shop that will do a boat, because once you do a boat, you will realize it’s $500 well spent

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
I thought about it for about an hour, but, I would end up losing a lot of space I need, I honestly drive with a bit of a gangster lean and it looks like the seats lose almost all of their recline and I would have to give up 75% of my stereo which is the ne of the things I love about that shit box
I saw an old-school hippie VW bus today that was converted to a pickup. Guy was hauling a load of palm tree clippings. I couldn't get a picture of it, as much as I tried, every light was green and then he turned into a driveway.

@Dicktator or, find a local detail shop that will do a boat, because once you do a boat, you will realize it’s $500 well spent
That sounds like a winning plan.