General Bitching and Moaning about your car/truck thread

I tossed the cabin boat idea at my wife a few times (instead of a shore house) and it got shot down even faster than the HUMVEE, at least the hummer can be used year round, a cabin boat (less than a large live aboard) is only good for a few months a year around here
Plus as soon as you add marine to anything it doubles the price...

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Took my Avalon out today to the car wash, practally detailed it in the parking lot by the vacuums - was there an hour. Then I took it on a jaunt down the expressway to Tampa and back. I haven't driven it in month and had forgotten how much I love the car.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
I tossed the cabin boat idea at my wife a few times (instead of a shore house) and it got shot down even faster than the HUMVEE, at least the hummer can be used year round, a cabin boat (less than a large live aboard) is only good for a few months a year around here
@ysr50
So, I stand corrected, I was having a chat with one of my cop buddies, turns out he’s got a connection with govplanet (the company that sells humvee surplus for the government) and he lives only a few minutes from my house, and apparently they have some kind of depot outside Harrisburg where they wear house the stuff.

He says the guy can get running, driving, titled and PA inspected m998 (for about $20-25k (title is the hardest part)
My buddy also wants one and he’s serious so I know it isn’t pipe dreams or bar chat.

Obviously they need work, but, he can get any parts I need, and another dude I know is a SeaBee who is still active duty and spends 90% of his time working on them and sad if I needed help he would give me advice on what breaks (which is apparently a lot)

I floated the idea past the old lady again and this time she said yes (As long as I stay within a set budget)....... now I just need to sell some crap.
Anyone want to buy a 1977 ted nugent pinball machine, a beat up VW and a house that needs to be torn down?

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Obviously they need work, but, he can get any parts I need, and another dude I know is a SeaBee who is still active duty and spends 90% of his time working on them and sad if I needed help he would give me advice on what breaks (which is apparently a lot)
The original Hummers are indeed very heavy-duty but they do break a lot of shit.
They require constant maintenance.

Bobobie

Being familiar with Military Vehicles, I'd not want the headache of owning one. Just go on ebay and just price tires for one. $550 for one. You most definitely should be able to find one in decent running condition. You shouldn't have to fix one up. Most are low mileage and well maintained. They sit in track park or motor pool most of their lives.
@ysr50
So, I stand corrected, I was having a chat with one of my cop buddies, turns out he’s got a connection with govplanet (the company that sells humvee surplus for the government) and he lives only a few minutes from my house, and apparently they have some kind of depot outside Harrisburg where they wear house the stuff.

He says the guy can get running, driving, titled and PA inspected m998 (for about $20-25k (title is the hardest part)
My buddy also wants one and he’s serious so I know it isn’t pipe dreams or bar chat.

I floated the idea past the old lady again and this time she said yes (As long as I stay within a set budget)....... now I just need to sell some crap.
Anyone want to buy a 1977 ted nugent pinball machine, a beat up VW and a house that needs to be torn down?

@ysr50

I'm good...

ysr50

Donator
@ysr50

You have the luxury of time and money. If you really want it and you're willing to deal with the headache I say go for it, and then after it's up and running you're going to need something to tow. Perhaps then you could once again bring up the idea of a boat with a bed, a galley and a shitter. The only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.

Bobobie

If you really want a project, Some crazy people take old deuces and 5 tons, chop off one of the axles, shorten the frame, and turn it into an oversized pickup truck.

THE FEZ MAN

Being familiar with Military Vehicles, I'd not want the headache of owning one. Just go on ebay and just price tires for one. $550 for one. You most definitely should be able to find one in decent running condition. You shouldn't have to fix one up. Most are low mileage and well maintained. They sit in track park or motor pool most of their lives.
The guy said that he gets the “pick of the litter” of the ones available, apparently most have been through several refits, so even though they are “old” the ones he picks up have the newer turbo and the over drive transmission (the desirable one)

My goal is to get one that doesn’t need anything major like a motor or a transmission, and focus my time on “up fitting”
Like LED lights, better seats and installing basic creature comforts like air conditioning, even though I want a soft top AC is something I really want. I’m also probably going to install a comms system, I just read an article about how to do it using an aviation intercom which also has an input for music which I thought was great so I don’t have to bother with a traditional radio, a phone will work just fine.
A 24-12vt power converter
And maybe a roll cage, winch build a bomber or a brush guard
Stupid shit like that.
My goal is a very basic vehicle no matter what I buy or build, be it a Jeep, a humvee or some other type of fully off road vehicle

THE FEZ MAN

If you really want a project, Some crazy people take old deuces and 5 tons, chop off one of the axles, shorten the frame, and turn it into an oversized pickup truck.
Meh that’s too much heavy work

Ya some guy a couple towns over did that to a Unimog... has a bunch of them like stock I guess to pick parts off...

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
I could see Fez with an old-school (like 60s or earlier) Power Wagon repowered with a Cummins...

THE FEZ MAN

I could see Fez with an old-school (like 60s or earlier) Power Wagon repowered with a Cummins...

I thought about it, the cool power wagons like those are long rotted away or just as expensive as the humvee

Bobobie

I know its been done to death, but the hmmwv is a great candidate for an LS Engine Swap. If you have an extra 2k to invest. More HP and Torque, and more reliable.

THE FEZ MAN

I know its been done to death, but the hmmwv is a great candidate for an LS Engine Swap. If you have an extra 2k to invest. More HP and Torque, and more reliable.
No way, I absolutely want a diesel, the only swap I would consider is a duromax

5skin

Somewhere on Molly Ringwald
No way, I absolutely want a diesel, the only swap I would consider is a duromax
Having multiple diesels I would never swap a Duramax into anything. The old 7.3 power stroke is the next best thing to a Cummins and still not worth swapping.

Cummins 6 or 4bt.

THE FEZ MAN

Having multiple diesels I would never swap a Duramax into anything. The old 7.3 power stroke is the next best thing to a Cummins and still not worth swapping.

Cummins 6 or 4bt.
I agree the Cummins is a superior engine, but, it’s a fitment issue, the duramax & trans, are a direct swap and the humvee is a super tight fit, I’m sure I could make a Cummins fit but there are too many unknown variables.
K eep
I t
S imple
S stupid

That’s why I am canning the VW~Jeep swap, it’s just too expensive and time consuming to convert the ALH engine.

5skin

Somewhere on Molly Ringwald
I agree the Cummins is a superior engine, but, it’s a fitment issue, the duramax & trans, are a direct swap and the humvee is a super tight fit, I’m sure I could make a Cummins fit but there are too many unknown variables.
K eep
I t
S imple
S stupid

That’s why I am canning the VW~Jeep swap, it’s just too expensive and time consuming to convert the ALH engine.
KISS Says the guy wanting to buy a gear reduced planetary axle truck..

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
So I discovered the origin of my truck's small vacuum leak error code yesterday, when it became a large vacuum leak code: The gas fill neck separated from the filler cap collar. Must've been rusting away for quite a while, and finally gave out yesterday when I stopped for gas & the guy couldn't get the nozzle into the fill hole. Completely fell apart.

Thank Odin I happened to have bought a used one from the junk yard last year as part of my initial search for the origin of the small leak, and just never got around to installing it. Stuck it in last night and went almost a hundred miles since without a recurrence of the code. If it gets through the rest of the tank of gas I'll assume I fixed the leak.

THE FEZ MAN

So I discovered the origin of my truck's small vacuum leak error code yesterday, when it became a large vacuum leak code: The gas fill neck separated from the filler cap collar. Must've been rusting away for quite a while, and finally gave out yesterday when I stopped for gas & the guy couldn't get the nozzle into the fill hole. Completely fell apart.

Thank Odin I happened to have bought a used one from the junk yard last year as part of my initial search for the origin of the small leak, and just never got around to installing it. Stuck it in last night and went almost a hundred miles since without a recurrence of the code. If it gets through the rest of the tank of gas I'll assume I fixed the leak.
That’s one always shocks me, the filler neck on my truck had a significant amount of rust on it so replaced it when I rebuilt the truck. I saw a Toyota Prius with one completely rusted through also