General Bitching and Moaning about your car/truck thread

ysr50

Donator
Apr 20, 2012
how many shops have this any more
Would it suprise you in the least to find out I used to use one of those daily? There is absolutely a market for high quality parts like starters, alternators, and many other simple electric motors or generators. The motors I worked on didn't have that "icing" on each end, they'd be covered in red Glyptal. Then you have to run them in and seat the brushes, and then you have to load test them. It's not that hard, that's why the chinese do it, but they don't do it right and shit fails 6 months after you bought it.

ysr50

Donator
Apr 20, 2012
how many shops have this any more
Not to mention the commutator on that part is junk, if you took it to a lathe to get it square there wouldn't be anything left. Just take it apart and save what you can.

ysr50

Donator
Apr 20, 2012
My point is if the tariffs do stand we are going to have to start making or fixing our own stuff, it's like a whole new world if you have a skill set and are an entrepreneur. The good stuff won't be cheap, but it will be good. I can imagine fortunes will be made, the American Dream.

ysr50

Donator
Apr 20, 2012
lost skills now a days
If you think a barista making $13/hr with a mechanical engineering degree would turn down $20/hr building good parts I'd suggest you're wrong. Money talks. It has to start somewhere.

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
I know of at least 2 places closed down because they couldn't meet the EPA regs anymore.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
My point is if the tariffs do stand we are going to have to start making or fixing our own stuff, it's like a whole new world if you have a skill set and are an entrepreneur. The good stuff won't be cheap, but it will be good. I can imagine fortunes will be made, the American Dream.
I’ve been looking for some machine tools, I can’t find anything that is made in the US that isn’t either, crazy old, worn out or insanely expensive and way over sized for what I need, the only option is Chinese and it’s really sad, I really would purchase an American made “table top” mill and lathe in a heart beat but they just don’t exist.
The Chinese have made it almost impossible to compete for a lot of reasons and hopefully trump can curtail some of it

ysr50

Donator
Apr 20, 2012
I’ve been looking for some machine tools, I can’t find anything that is made in the US that isn’t either, crazy old, worn out or insanely expensive and way over sized for what I need, the only option is Chinese and it’s really sad, I really would purchase an American made “table top” mill and lathe in a heart beat but they just don’t exist.
The Chinese have made it almost impossible to compete for a lot of reasons and hopefully trump can curtail some of it
I have feeling, and i could be wrong, that if manufacturing here becomes profitable again there's going to be more than a few options. We can do it better than everyone if our backs are against a wall, the tariffs might just put us there. It's not going to happen overnight, it might take two generations

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
Well, started my O2 sensors, took all day to do two, and I broke two ratchets and had to borrow a socket that I didn’t have, I did the easy ones today saved the really shit one for tomorrow

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Well, started my O2 sensors, took all day to do two, and I broke two ratchets and had to borrow a socket that I didn’t have, I did the easy ones today saved the really shit one for tomorrow
Greatest tool ever for removing O2 sensors.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
Greatest tool ever for removing O2 sensors.
That Won’t fit, but I borrowed a similar socket from Greg that worked, both ratchets I broke were 20 years old, the guts fell out of the Mac one and the handle snapped off my snap on, ironically breaking the handle on the snap on one gave me the extra space I needed

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
You can get replacements ,right?
The snap on one yes except my snap on guy is a bit of a dick, the Mac one I will have to go to Mac directly because I don’t know of any local Mac tool guys, I’m also pulling the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, replaced bank 2/1 and bank 2/2 that was the sensors that were bad b1/1 plug is in accessible with out removing the motor mounts and lowering the engine, fuck that I will wait till it fails

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
You can get replacements ,right?
The snap on one yes except my snap on guy is a bit of a dick, the Mac one I will have to go to Mac directly because I don’t know of any local Mac tool guys, I’m also pulling the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, replaced bank 2/1 and bank 2/2 that was the sensors that were bad b1/1 plug is in accessible with out removing the motor mounts and lowering the engine, fuck that I will wait till it fails

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
After Bill quit we saw one Mac guy once and he never came back.

ysr50

Donator
Apr 20, 2012
i have some broken mac tools i haven seen a mac guy in years
My old mac guy showed up at our hangar a few weeks ago, I hadn't seen him in 18 months even though I still work at the same airport and it is a pretty large portion of his route. I still owe him some money for a rolly that I bought a couple of years ago, I made a modest payment hoping to entice him into making regular visits. Haven't seen him since. Sad thing is the place where I'm working is a goldmine for him, these kids own minimal tools, and they're dumb enough to get into debt.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
Well, the old mans still got it, my buddy took out the left front of his 2001 ford exploder, modest hit, fender, bumper, hood headlight and head light mounting panel, tweeked the cradle. I told him 2500$ if he took it to a shop, and I was right on the money at both places he took it to, but’s they couldn’t fix it in a reasonable amount of time, and he needs to drive back to California.
We couldn’t find after market parts, so he found a guy parting one out, he went and got all the parts, the damn fender was full of holes for a fender flare, so I had to make plugs to fill the holes and weld them up, just so happens I just bought a mig welder.
I got the entire job done sans paint in 6 hours start to finish, at home, now I was busting my ass to get it done, and having basically an entire body shop in my garage helped, but I was happy with the job, and he’s really happy with it because it’s a California car and basically rust free and hood running, he’s going to take it to macco to get it painted, he gave me $200 which was fine by me, $200 in parts and probably $50 in other shit like spray primer and paint (we cut the white parts in with rattle cans)

ysr50

Donator
Apr 20, 2012