General Bitching and Moaning about your car/truck thread

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
So I picked up that Mountaineer I mentioned last week, and had to replace the battery, starter & rear brakes. She now starts and runs pretty well. One thing: It's throwing this code:

p1506 idle air control over speed error

Seems it's related to the throttle position sensor or a vacuum leak. The idle is a bit high when in park, about 12-1500 rpms. Anyone know what a likely first stop would be in troubleshooting this, aside from the TPS?

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002

So, the turbo on Pepe’ has been “over boosting” the photo is of the vacuum pot that controls the variable veins inside the turbo...
yea, that’s not supposed to be rotted in half

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
So I picked up that Mountaineer I mentioned last week, and had to replace the battery, starter & rear brakes. She now starts and runs pretty well. One thing: It's throwing this code:

p1506 idle air control over speed error

Seems it's related to the throttle position sensor or a vacuum leak. The idle is a bit high when in park, about 12-1500 rpms. Anyone know what a likely first stop would be in troubleshooting this, aside from the TPS?
Most likely a vacuum leak. Check the PCV hose and if it's not leaking spray some carb cleaner around the intake. If there's a leak the idle will change when you hit it.

Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
There's Hook or Bayonet style wiper arms from my experience
Or that sideways post
But all the wiper manufacturers have weird quirks for installing new ones
How 'bout we adopt some sort of standard for them
I'm not an idiot
But they're making these things a hassle to change
Jesus Christ
They're just wiper blades

White man problem , I know

Last edited:

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Or that sideways post
I'm not an idiot
Jesus Christ

Some brands I find easier to install than others. I buy Bosch ones now. They seem to hold up the best.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
Or that sideways post
I'm not an idiot
Jesus Christ

Try changing them while sober?

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
Just pulled the throttle body off my Mountaineer to get the TPS off. Goddamn thing had an utterly fucked screw at the bottom where I couldn't reach it, and I had to take the whole damn thing apart and even then, I had to hacksaw the screw off to get the TPS off.

Now it's off to Autozone to get a new screw & some throttle body cleaner.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
Got the screws, and used the idle stop screw to back the idle down to about 900 rpm's. Assembled everything, cleared codes. Now I need to drive it around long enough to either trip a code, or to tell the computer that everything's good. Pray for me.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Got the screws, and used the idle stop screw to back the idle down to about 900 rpm's. Assembled everything, cleared codes. Now I need to drive it around long enough to either trip a code, or to tell the computer that everything's good. Pray for me.
Someone could have turned that idle stop screw to try and hide other sins. Good luck.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
Someone could have turned that idle stop screw to try and hide other sins. Good luck.
You're not wrong, and the thought had crossed my mind as well. Still, it was idling at 1k when it was cold, and dropped to 8-900 when it warmed up; I hope I resolved the issue.

That was after the idle set screw adjustment. Before it was idling at 15-18k, which is WAY too high.

I'm curious to see if I have hard starts when the weather gets cold now.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
My truck idles around 500 when warmed up
Maybe a tick higher
Yeah, that seems to be the factory spec for the 2000 Ford/Merc trucks, and I considered going down that far, but it's 18 years old & I'm sure 500 would bog it down. 800 sounds about right to me considering its age.

I guess I'll know in the next 100 miles or so.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
You're not wrong, and the thought had crossed my mind as well. Still, it was idling at 1k when it was cold, and dropped to 8-900 when it warmed up; I hope I resolved the issue.

That was after the idle set screw adjustment. Before it was idling at 15-18k, which is WAY too high.

I'm curious to see if I have hard starts when the weather gets cold now.
Did you pull a battery cable to let the computer re-learn everything after you adjusted the idle stop screw?

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
Fuck it
Insp. is good till June
The light don't bother me much
If you lived in nj you wouldnt have to get it inspected at all anymore. I dont have to inspect my 07 f150 anymore. Anything with a gvwr of 8500 or more 2007 or older doesnt have to be inspected. I just make it at 8500

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
My 07 f150 (189k 5.4v8) has been cutting out really bad when my fuel gauge gets to 1/8 tank. Think my fuel gauge isnt reading properly anymore? It pretty much goes away when im at 1/4 tank or more but still happens. Maybe fuel filter? Pump? FPDM? My bed is pretty soft from in front of the wheel wells maybe the fpdm is really corroded as it is attached to the bed above the tank