OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

General Bitching and Moaning about your House/Apartment/Folks' Basement thread

Discussion in 'Wackbag Home Improvement & Car Repair' started by maz, Jan 21, 2013.

1. maz

maz TRueWDTer

Washing the dishes and getting the coffeemaker set up for the morning

Vinyl Kitchen floor tile sticks to my foot and comes up

I know it's been 17 + years since I bought the house
    And the floor looked kinda old when I moved in

New floor project on the To - Do list for later this year
    Among a few other things

2. icculus1284

icculus1284 Registered User

Heard gunshots outside our apartment building the other night.

3. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

The fucking heater again. Was 49° in my house monday morning

4. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Infidel and White Interloper
    Wackbag Staff

I bought my "new to me" house on November 6th. Since I bought it from a 93 year-old woman, there's some stuff that's been neglected and some overdue maintenance. Other stuff just needs to be updated.

Overall, the place is in great shape. Alot of things have been upgraded, it's just since the old lady's husband died that shit was let go. It's mainly been minor annoyances. Let me run down the list:

1) The old lady got the water turned off, even though she wasn't supposed to. The water company wanted me to come over right after settlement and just transfer the service. Well, I found out that she had it turned off when I went to do the transfer. When it got turned back on, a bunch of shit started leaking. Nothing that a few turns of a wrench couldn't fix. It was mainly some shutoff valves under the sinks, and the water line for the refrigerator icemaker.

2) The house has two water heaters. One of them was ancient, 27 years old to be exact. It gave us about 5 minutes of water in the shower. I had it replaced under the home warranty. After that, I started getting complaints about the other one. Since it was significantly newer, I figured it just needed the basics. It was cheaper for me to just buy a rebuild kit at Lowes (thermostats and elements) and replace them myself (under $30) versus paying the deductible ($60) to have the home warranty company send out a plumber.

3) The kitchen range hood was an utter piece of shit. I replaced it with a nice stainless steel unit.

4) Garbage disposal was shot, I learned this during the home inspection. Got it replaced by the appliance guy who was fixing our dryer, he gave me a heck of a deal since he was already there. I got it installed for the price it would have cost me to buy one off the shelf at Lowes or Home Depot.

5) I had to replace the faucet in the half-bath, since the aerator threads were stripped.

6) We have an awesome master suite, with a big ass shower (it's like 3' x 5'), jetted garden tub, and a big vanity with double sink. There is a pocket door separating the shitter and shower from the rest of the bathroom, and another pocket door separating the bathroom from the bedroom. Other than a little cubby that would hold one bottle of shampoo and a bar of soap, there was nowhere to put anything. I had to install shelves and a mirror in the shower, repair the one sink, and replace the toilet seat.

7) I had to repair a bunch of phone wiring. It was all kinds of fucked up. But now, all the phone jacks in the house work. I even added one outside on the lanai.

8) I had to replace a bad GFI outlet.

9) I've got an irrigation system here, which is a new experience. A couple sprinkler heads were busted. I replaced those and ran the system, but I got another leak under one of the sprinkler heads in the ground. I think it's a minor repair and picked up the stuff yesterday to fix that. I'll get to it this week.

10) There was this massive old rotted birdhouse here when I looked at the house. I was told it was being removed, and it was down when I did my final walk-through. What i didn't see was that it was just knocked down and tucked along the side near the bushes. So, I had to cut the thing up to put it in the trash and get rid of it.

11) The screen door for my pool birdcage was all jacked up. I had to install a closer and fix the handle/latch.

12) Masonry repair. I got these cool masonry pillars with globe lights on top that go all around my yard, with chain-link fence in between. There are a matching pair of them on either side of my driveway. I had to do some patchwork on those and paint touchup. It came out great.

Stuff that still needs to be done:

1) Windows. The house has the original single-pane, aluminum, non-insulated windows which are just shit. I am getting new double-pane, argon gas-filled vinyl replacement windows. They are getting done in February. It's costing a fortune. This house has MASSIVE windows. I'm getting all of the windows replaced, 11 total. Only 3 of them are "conventional" double-hung "regular sized" windows. All of the bedrooms have gigantic 3'x8' picture windows with sliders. The front windows are like 5'x5' or something like that. I have three sets of 9' sliding glass doors too. They eventually will need to be replaced, maybe. I might just be able to get some new hardware for them so they close and lock properly. Besides that, they aren't in bad shape. The price to replace them was astronomical.

2) The pool and concrete deck around it both need to be resurfaced. I'm hoping to get that done by summer.

3) Paint. The house has a bunch of awful wallpaper. My wife has been scraping away. We got one room that was fully wallpapered all stripped. We're fixing the walls now. I got a compressor and a hopper gun so I can spray the walls with the orangepeel texture before we paint. A bunch of other rooms have wallpaper on one wall, or two. They shouldn't be as bad.

4) I'd like to do the garage floor and driveway with epoxy or a similar coating. They are just plain concrete.

5) My chainlink fence is kinda rusty, assuming from the sprinklers. The poles and posts are in great shape. I'm going to replace all the chainlink with black vinyl coated chainlink.

6) My wife wants to redo the kitchen. Meh, that's on her. I'll let her pick out whatever she wants.

5. maz

maz TRueWDTer

Sounds Fantastic

If it was August
    And your house was in Death Valley

6. THE FEZ MAN

This heater bullshit has been going on since I bought the house 12yr ago. I really want a wood burning range to suplment my heat but since the epa cracked down on wood stoves a few years ago they are stupid expencive

7. frankjg

frankjg doG

My 130 year old house is FUCKING freezing. I've sealed up every crack, crevice, window, door, outlet, etc.. but it's still a drafty old house.

oooooh, an old house, that would be fun to restore and sink ALL of our money into repairs and oil.

8. THE FEZ MAN

well...... came home tonight? yea...... 42...... mmmm nice and balmy.... turned on the electric heaters and called my neighbor up (the heater guy who just fixed it) he came over and we fucked with it to get it running for the night, hes going to come over tomorrow and tear it completely apart he thinks that there is a leak somwhere in the system but he cant find it, i told him we will put dye in the oil and search it out with a black light, also there is a possibility that either the fire box or the heat exchanger is cracked (really bad news) one way or the other i see this is the last season that im going to put up with this horse shit, i see my wood burning range in the future.

9. THE FEZ MAN

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i really like both of these..... both are around 5k.... why must i like such fancy things :(

10. maz

maz TRueWDTer

You Are a fancy man
    Get a nice kettle of water boiling on top for your tea

First one would fit in better with my house
    Second one is Way too fancy for me

11. maz

maz TRueWDTer

But it all gets wrapped up nice on This Old House on the TV

I also enjoyed Sinn's laundry list

It's only Money , and a bit of work , Fellas
    Or move to Canada and call Mike Holmes

12. Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff

Did a small project tonight... Replaced the trim kit in the valve in the shower. I took it apart because I suspected water might be getting behind it, and it looked like hell anyway. I was right, so I went and bought a whole new setup at Lowes.

13. maz

maz TRueWDTer

Small Victories , Sinn
    That's what it's all about

Keep on top of that shit , and don't let it become a bigger problem
    Better do it yourself if you can
    Or pay $$$ to somebody else

14. Falldog

Falldog Wackbag's Best Conservative
    Donator

Question: My apartment complex recently got purchased by another company and a new management organization has moved in. They've now signed us up for some sort of billing system in which rent and water/sewer fees are tacked into one bill. Whatever. But now this service is going to charge me $3.50 a month as a "Bill Processing Fee" which I sure as fuck don't want to pay. Am I going to have to use this new system and pay this shitty middleman company? I don't believe there's anything in my lease stipulating the usage of any services like this.

15. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

Read your lease and find an FU clause. Or pay a lawyer to do it for you.

16. Falldog

Falldog Wackbag's Best Conservative
    Donator

Just went through it, there's something in a secondary document stating that the Landlord can stipulate how to pay rent but parts of the lease state 30 days written notice to all changes that modify the lease and 60 days notice for any changes in how utility payments are handled.

17. Dikbag

Dikbag Registered User

my house was built in 1940, last night it was raining, really windy, and the temp was rising. the house make so much noise I was wide awake for hours convinced someone was walking around upstairs. I wanted to just grab my 45 and go check it out but my stupid bio metric fingerprint safe makes such ear piercing loud beeps it would have woke and panicked my wife.

18. Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff

We are in the process of redoing the guest room and are finally nearing the end. I spent all night last night putting the flooring down. We stripped the wallpaper, retextured the walls, painted, pulled up the carpet, primed the concrete floor, and then put down vinyl plank flooring.

The next small project is adding a couple motion-sensor security lights outside. It's just too damn dark around here at night, particularly on the sides of the house.

19. maz

maz TRueWDTer

This is a head-scratcher

Would you prefer her to be possibly dead over possibly panicked ?

20. Dikbag

Dikbag Registered User

I shouldn't of said I was convinced someone was upstairs, I knew I was just freaking myself out.

21. maz

maz TRueWDTer

OK

Either way
    I would take that gun outta the safe when I went to bed anyway
    Unless you have kids maybe

22. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

Or get a bedside safe for just the handgun.

23. maz

maz TRueWDTer

Pretty sure that's what he has , dn

I have mine on the nightstand as soon as I get home though
    Fuck that safe shit

24. weeniewawa

weeniewawa it's a man, baby!!!

nothing like a loud noisy safe to alert the intruder you are gettin' yer gun

might make him rush you

stealthy is better

25. Dikbag

Dikbag Registered User