OpieRadio Logo
Anthony Cumia Show Logo
Jim Norton Logo

General Bitching and Moaning about your House/Apartment/Folks' Basement thread

Discussion in 'Wackbag Home Improvement & Car Repair' started by maz, Jan 21, 2013.

1. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

Oh might have to some research but I know around here to stop moss and shit grown on roofs they put a strip of zinc across the ridgeline so the zinc warshes down when it rains and kills the moss... wonder if would work for mold and mildew.

Ayup:

http://www.shingleshield.com/

2. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Infidel and White Interloper
    Wackbag Staff

3. Haeder

Haeder South Dakota

I've got enough requests to do roofing and siding work to keep me busy for months but I don't have the time or desire to do much more than dipp my toe into the building trades. The house I'm re-roofing this weekend is enough for now.

We started this morning and the lookie-lou traffic has been excessive. Especially for the secluded location of the house. People in small towns are a different kind of folks.

TreeFortRichard and THE FEZ MAN like this.
  4. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

First of all, fuck roofing.

But yes secluded small town? Yea, I went to visit my buddy up in the mountains of California, we got there and it was like children of the woods just kept showing up out of nowhere to "visit" now when we were driving up the mountain I saw one house, one, and it was at the bottom of the hill yet 5 people just came strolling in while we were there it was weird, and the one constant thing we heard from all of them was this depressed "I've got to get off this mountain" apparently there was 5 or 6 houses scattered over the mountain top nad they didn't get many visitors

5. NotSoFast

NotSoFast Registered User

Fuck roofing. I'd starve to death before doing that again. Roofing is the reason we still let Mexicans in at all.

Creasy Bear, 5skin and THE FEZ MAN like this.
  6. THE FEZ MAN

And the Amish, fucking Amish.

7. NotSoFast

No Amish within 2000 miles of here. 100% of our roofers are Mexican.

THE FEZ MAN likes this.
  8. THE FEZ MAN

Around here, the Amish are the cut throat roofers, Mexicans are landscapers

9. 5skin

5skin Registered User

Electronic locks.
    The old one shit the bed after several attempts at salvation. The pin connectors would fail or the motor would go bad in the old ones. The new ones work different in that it only engages the locking mechanism for a few seconds making it much easier in the electronic moving parts. However this leaves the door locked after entering and only engages for a few seconds to open. But that's not a big deal really.
    My bitch is the fucking keypad is in two rows and doesn't light up when you touch the numbers. Sure it lights if you hit enter first and you get your first failed attempt, which is what I do now. Why can't the numbers just light up?! Why can't it be a normal keypad layout?!
    I like the lever over the old knob tho.

10. gorram

gorram ;)

Had this Kwikset one for a few years that lights up when you press any key. This one works with smart home setups so you can unlock via phone or automatically when a proximity sensor nears. Could be used without the Zwave if you want to run it manually.

[​IMG]

11. Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff

Dishwasher shit the bed... Wife's been bitching about it since I bought the house because it was a really low end POS Frigidaire. I told her I wasn't replacing it until it dies, because the thing was brand new (installed by the seller 3 months before I bought the place).

Luckily Sears had a pretty good sale going on so we bought a new Bosch unit today. It'll be delivered and installed sometime after the holiday.

THE FEZ MAN likes this.
  12. Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff

Regarding electronic locks - I have these Schlage units:

Camelot Keypad Deadbolt

I had one on the front door of my old house and was so happy with it that I installed one on my front door five years ago, a week after I bought the place. I changed all the locks because the previous owner told me she had four sets of keys and only gave me three at settlement. I was going to do it anyway, but withholding a set of keys expedited the process. I also have a second one out back on the storage room (attached to the house but not accessible from the house). They've been going strong for five years with only battery changes needed, about every year or two.

13. THE FEZ MAN

Mine is circling the toilet, a few years ago the over flow preventer stuck and the pump ran for days (before I moved in..... women........) I fixed it, but it's never been "right" since, then in a stroke Of genius, one day while I was filling it, I left the door open and walked away to gather more dishes, I hear a tremendous crash from the kitchen, Bob tripped over the open door and basically trashed the door and both racks, I was able to bend it back but it's fucked up, I am going to build a new kitchen, but no time soon, so when I close the door I have to persuade it to close correctly and when loading it I have to carefully put the dishes in or the basket twists and all the shit falls out.....
    what a pain in the ass, also the costco detergent I bought doesn't work for shit.

14. TreeFortRichard

Time to redo the gaskets on my wood stove...2nd time since we moved in in 2003...It's our ONLY heat source in the winter and I am really leaning towards switching to pellets...This house is our keeper until we retire some place were a fire is just a luxury to take the edge off a cool winter night...

Presently I have the right hand door held on with a piece of custom cut welding rod because the door is held on by a compression plate that holds a metal rod in between the door and the plate and then the ends of the rods go up and down into holes to hold the door on...Well the top hole wore away and the original rod was too small so I made my own...

The door handle rotating latch is threaded and stripped so it will work it's way out if you're not careful..

The temperature control lever never really works right.

The ash pan doesn't close properly unless you do it juuuust right...

Oh and the 4 to 6 cords of wood per winter and the noise of the fan I have to put behind the stove to blow the heat around...
    Fuck...I should just get a pellet stove...

15. THE FEZ MAN

Or just buy real heater...

I have a Vermont casting stove it's tiny and it sits in my giant stone fireplace, it barely heats the living room and it takes hours to warm up and burns an insane amount of wood for its size

16. Haeder

Haeder South Dakota

4-6 cords per winter!?!?

Where do you live - Arizona?

I know people that burn almost a cord a week.

You need to buy that pellet stove.

17. Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff

I cannot say enough about how awesome a pellet stove is compared to a wood burning stove.

I have my pellet stove sitting on a pallet in my garage. It was only a year old when the move to FL happened. I tried selling it and got nothing but insulting offers. Fuck it. I'm keeping it. Getting a hearth installed somewhere in this house is on the to-do list. Even though I'm in Florida we get plenty of nights in the 30s and even a few in the 20s each year. Lots of people have fireplaces here. It's definitely worth doing. I confirmed I can get pellets locally, so we are going to do it at some point.

TreeFortRichard likes this.
  18. Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff

I've found that Cascade platinum gel-packs work the best, but they are expensive. I can usually score them cheaper at the local farmers/flea market from this lady that sells all kinds of grocery-type stuff. The new Bosch machine has stickers on it saying they recommend Finish brand. I found that they didn't dissolve completely in the POS Frigidaire unit. I may give them a try in the Bosch.

If you have a Sears locally that's closing you might get a really good deal on one. The guy at Sears today told me that my local store is like #20 company-wide in terms of sales/profit so they aren't going anywhere. They do seem to be doing a whole lot of business here compared to the Sears near my old place in PA. That place was a ghost town five years ago.

THE FEZ MAN likes this.
  19. THE FEZ MAN

I just bought the Costco ones so I'm using them till they are gone, I have been using finish with the red ball but I ran out, they worked ok, this dishwasher is a Bosch but it's old and now twisted and broken

20. NotSoFast

Wood stoves heat better when they are out in the open in the room so it can radiate heat 360 degrees.

THE FEZ MAN likes this.
  21. THE FEZ MAN

Yea I know, I didn't install it, at one point there was a gas log in the fireplace but it's long since gone, I should take a photo of the fireplace, it's huge, this house when it was first built didn't have a kitchen the fireplace was the cooking surface so there are warming shelves on both sides and one of those pot hanging things in the back, I'm sure if I really needed to o could use it to heat the room but that's about it, there is a second fireplace in the upstairs "master bedroom" and I have a feeling this house had a coal fired or wood fired boiler at some point

NotSoFast likes this.
  22. Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff

Dishwasher shit the bed a few months ago and now it's the electric cooktop. Bought a new one, it needs a 40A breaker. Existing one is only 30A, Need to get the wiring and the breaker upgraded. Fuck this shit.

23. Haeder

Haeder South Dakota

Not only did you pay out the nose for an electric cooktop (spendy damn things) but you get to hire an electrician to upsize everything to make it work. #blessed.

TomC and Sinn Fein like this.
  24. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

I'm trying to get a quote for a whole house generator contacted three companies and I guess they were too busy to return my calls. Talking to the guy that did my house and see if his electrician installs them... as not having running water for 4 days stinks.

I actually had to dig a latrine to take my morning dump on the second day... then luckily the neighbor got a generator so I could fill a few 5 gallon buckets to flush the turlet.

25. Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff

I rewired the well pump at our old house with a plug and an outlet so that I could run an extension cord from my portable generator into the crawlspace, plug it in, and go. We lost power for three days after a storm and couldn't flush toilets. All the neighbors were in the same boat. I swore I'd never go through that again, as it was the second time we went without water for days at a time.

The first year we were in the house, the well shit the bed on a Friday afternoon and the plumber came out the next morning. He said it was a two-man job to find and dig up the well to do the repairs and because it was the weekend he couldn't get another guy out there with him until Monday.

I had no idea where the well was located, having bought the house only six months prior. It took them a little while to find it, turned out to be five feet from the back of the house. Foot valve was bad and the jet pump was ancient so it couldn't generate enough lift to overcome the bad foot valve, so they converted it to a submersible.