General Bitching and Moaning about your House/Apartment/Folks' Basement thread

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Took the back off, there's another board in there I wasn't expecting. That might be the one that's fucked. Insurance made it sound like it might be best if I just call up Sears or some other appliance repair folks and have them deal with it.

Falldog

Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Testing all my electronics today. Record player is dead. BluRay player doesn't turn on when the HDMI cord is plugged in.

On advice from insurance I've scheduled Sears to come out and look at my oven. There's at least one other board in there, plus who knows what else, so I could easily spend the cost of this thing replacing parts.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
Testing all my electronics today. Record player is dead. BluRay player doesn't turn on when the HDMI cord is plugged in.

On advice from insurance I've scheduled Sears to come out and look at my oven. There's at least one other board in there, plus who knows what else, so I could easily spend the cost of this thing replacing parts.
Have you asked the insurance company about getting the other gear serviced? Maybe Sears could do it. If you have about a $500 deductible you'll probably have that covered based on just estimate fees for everything and maybe the labor on the range repair. We used to have a Lightning Affidavit we would run off for the insurance company with repair price vs replacement cost. With the amount of damaged items you're well above $500. Beyond the range, it's not like any of those items can be repaired, doubt any of them have replacement parts available.

Sounds like the lightning ripped all through the wiring in house, ethernet, signal cables.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Oof... I had a lightning strike roast the cable modem, router and dumb gig switch. It must have come in through the coax because everything was on a UPS. I have every TV on a UPS, every PC, etc. Nothing else in the house was damaged. I added a coax surge protector after that. I hope I don't have to find out of it works.

Good luck.

Falldog

Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Have you asked the insurance company about getting the other gear serviced? Maybe Sears could do it. If you have about a $500 deductible you'll probably have that covered based on just estimate fees for everything and maybe the labor on the range repair. We used to have a Lightning Affidavit we would run off for the insurance company with repair price vs replacement cost. With the amount of damaged items you're well above $500. Beyond the range, it's not like any of those items can be repaired, doubt any of them have replacement parts available.

Sounds like the lightning ripped all through the wiring in house, ethernet, signal cables.
I doubt the small electronics are worth trying to fix, specially not through Sears. I'll wait to hear what insurance says but I'm guessing it'll all get replaced outright.

The thing with Sears coming to take a look at the range is gonna be mess. $99 for them to come out and look at it, then how ever long it takes for them to get replacement parts, then a 50/50 they fuck up on the first attempt (whether intentionally or not), and I'll be eating out and grilling for a month. In the same amount of time, and probably less cost, I could just get a new one. But hey, that's how insurance wants to do it.

Same for the electrical panel. I hate fucking with electricity, but it would be easy to replace a breaker and even the light switches. But if insurance is gonna cover someone to come do it for me, and provide better paper work for the process, that'll work for me.

It sounds like everything got the shock and all the weakest systems are showing damage.

Replacing all my surge protectors (insurance is covering that) and going to spring for a whole house protector while I'm at it.

Falldog

Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Oof... I had a lightning strike roast the cable modem, router and dumb gig switch. It must have come in through the coax because everything was on a UPS. I have every TV on a UPS, every PC, etc. Nothing else in the house was damaged. I added a coax surge protector after that. I hope I don't have to find out of it works.

Good luck.
The fucked up thing is that there's no clear entry fried A, which fried B, etc. One of the surge protectors in my living room had my TV, stereo, bluray player, PS4, and switch. Of those, only the switch and bluray player were effected.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Was the bluray player connected via ethernet to the switch? How about the PS4, was it wireless or ethernet?

Falldog

Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Was the bluray player connected via ethernet to the switch? How about the PS4, was it wireless or ethernet?
Both were connected, PS4 is fine. The DVR is on there too and that's fine. Maybe I should double check network connectivity on the PS4. The PoE AP on the switch is fine. The switch itself works fine, it's just the PoE no longer works.

From the router that connected to that switch (the router blew it's 4 physical ports), the security appliance and AP connected to that another switch downstream are fine. All this stuff was on the same surge protector as the record player, which is the only one physically dead of the lot.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
When my hit happened, I thought it was just the cable modem because it wouldn't light up. Luckily, I had a spare. So I hooked it up and called the cable company to activate it. Still couldn't get online. Found the router still couldn't see the cable modem because the WAN port was fried. So once I replaced that, some of my devices had no connectivity. One of the ports on my 8-port switch that was hanging off the router was fried. That port was an uplink to the switch on the other side of the house. Strangely, the port that was connected to the router was fine. Just to be safe, I replaced both switches.

Falldog

Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
I'm soo lucky I had an extra router lying around and that the rest of my network stack didn't get fucked up.

Ftard

Nov 22, 2002
I doubt the small electronics are worth trying to fix, specially not through Sears. I'll wait to hear what insurance says but I'm guessing it'll all get replaced outright.

The thing with Sears coming to take a look at the range is gonna be mess. $99 for them to come out and look at it, then how ever long it takes for them to get replacement parts, then a 50/50 they fuck up on the first attempt (whether intentionally or not), and I'll be eating out and grilling for a month. In the same amount of time, and probably less cost, I could just get a new one. But hey, that's how insurance wants to do it.

Same for the electrical panel. I hate fucking with electricity, but it would be easy to replace a breaker and even the light switches. But if insurance is gonna cover someone to come do it for me, and provide better paper work for the process, that'll work for me.

It sounds like everything got the shock and all the weakest systems are showing damage.

Replacing all my surge protectors (insurance is covering that) and going to spring for a whole house protector while I'm at it.

Save the receipts for eating out and see if the insurance will cover it. Worth a try.

Falldog

Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Sears visit went exactly as I thought. Guy showed up, poked at it for 5 minutes. Told me the control board was bad an it'll take forever to get here.

Could've had a board today if I just tried to fix it myself. Hell, for the cost of the board and this visit I probably could've just replaced the whole thing.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Sears visit went exactly as I thought. Guy showed up, poked at it for 5 minutes. Told me the control board was bad an it'll take forever to get here.

Could've had a board today if I just tried to fix it myself. Hell, for the cost of the board and this visit I probably could've just replaced the whole thing.
Replacing everything and filing a Home owners claim is really the only way to go, a friend of mine had a similar lightning strike, it hit the pole behind his house and fried everything in the house, even years later he’s replacing switches and circuit breakers it was bad, he said it was really scary because there was a “electric smoke” in his house and his TV glowed for two days

Falldog

Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Replacing everything and filing a Home owners claim is really the only way to go, a friend of mine had a similar lightning strike, it hit the pole behind his house and fried everything in the house, even years later he’s replacing switches and circuit breakers it was bad, he said it was really scary because there was a “electric smoke” in his house and his TV glowed for two days
Yeah, I'm getting the feeling things are going to keep popping up. Replaced all my surge protectors today, immediately after replacing the one that supports the network core things took a shit. Spent some time with support troubleshooting and something is totally hosed with it. It might have been lighting related, but since the issues popped up today and not two days ago, they're going to RMA it right quick.

Gonna tell the electrician next week "if it looks iffy, replace it." Fire is my biggest fear as someone who collects all kinds of stuff.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
Back in the day we used to do claims for the power company when they would blow up devices in a house from loose neutrals and such. The large Sony Trinitron CRT tvs had a pair of huge filter capacitors. 220v would run in on all the 120v circuits in a home. These two caps would essentially turn into smoke grenades. Usually it just required replacing those two caps and one or two other parts and the TV would be perfectly fine.

Those kind of power surges were the easiest repairs ever. Lightning on the other hand, forget about it particularly when the surge doesn't come through the power cord like some of the gear Falldog is talking about.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
So the guy that used to deliver for FedEx here liked to smash my doorbell as hard as he could when he delivered a package. One day it got stuck on, and I came home from work and I could hear the doorbell buzzing once I got inside the house.

I freed up the button, but it looks like it all got cooked.

I wasn't motivated to get it working, but we ended up missing deliveries for things that were signature required because nobody would hear the doorbell.

So, I replaced the button and the chimes, and now everything is working.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
Fuck.

Had a lighting strike really close to the house. Power came back within seconds, but several things are fucked.

One of my Meraki switches is making a clicking noise and PoE doesn't work anymore.
My Wink 2 appears completely dead.
Somehow only the physical network ports on my FiOS router are dead.

All three of those were on surge protectors, and everything else plugged into them is just fine.

My gas range is another story. If I plug it in, it turns on, can set the time, whatever. In less then a minute there's a click, like it powered off and on again. Then it does it again, and again, rapidly.

Now, when I lost power, and things came back up, nothing in the living room did. So I went and checked the breaker panel, nothing had flipped. Flipped everything off then on, and living room is alive.

I'm worried that something is wrong with the living room breaker for it not to have popped. I'm also wondering if the range breaker is fucked too. Otherwise the range's electrical board is likely shot.
Breaker is fucked. My main did that once in a blue till suddenly it did it everyday multiple times a day till it would only power half the panel.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
I reread the first post, I see what you're saying now. It didn't appear to trip the breaker but you switching it off and on reset it. I have seen that before, usually they throw because the load is too high (on the inside of house, not because of some outside force) and causes the breaker to flip. Yours was probably in a neutral state and just didn't have the energy to flip all the way to off.

Should be an easy and cheap fix if you don't mind pulling the front cover off the breaker box to swap it. However it's could be perfectly fine.

As for the other devices, those AC to DC usb like power devices can be pretty robust and survive a surge. But with lightning sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to what blows. If you were to dig that board out of the range you'll probably find arc marks on the bottom of the board where you can see the lightning jumping from one circuit trace to another.
Its not fine

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
I just got rid of my fish tank, so its pretty quiet in my basement for the first time, ever.

I noticed the ceiling buzzing today. Weird, like there was a bug up there. I moved a tile to look it and the grid is sparking. Worst when a high load is running (hair dryer, microwave)

I investigated, I dont think I have any house grounds, or something. Nothing hooked to water pipe, no ground rod.

Im not getting shocked or any sensation. Maybe I need 2 hands, one on a real ground.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
My fucking garage flooded again today during the massive downpour, I think I’m going to have to address this issue and it ain’t going to be cheep

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
uh, yeah.. he's been notified

although Im going to ground it tomorrow. 6AWG to the pipe, and another outside to a ground rod that's already there but nothing hooked to it.

I need a new service cable anyway, and the meter box and socket are probably original.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
Ive been going through my house freaking out about the electrical. I've basically remodeled the whole thing otherwise.

i bought this house as-is, cheap. Put 30k into it. Expect to sell for at least 100k more than I paid 5 years ago.

The guy before me was a real fucking hack. My neighbor described him as a "typical greaser" - old school italian (70s) that did everything as cheap as possible and half ass.

This is my hall closet. I guess with this I'll just put some surface mount conduit in there.

I also noticed when looking at the meter outside, there's a run of romex painted to the stucco. I never noticed.

Getting it ready for sale. I think I should get a home inspector to go thru everything let me know what else is going to potentially kill/delay a sale. Im trying to sell this ASAP because come september I'll have 2 mortgages.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
I just got rid of my fish tank, so its pretty quiet in my basement for the first time, ever.

I noticed the ceiling buzzing today. Weird, like there was a bug up there. I moved a tile to look it and the grid is sparking. Worst when a high load is running (hair dryer, microwave)

I investigated, I dont think I have any house grounds, or something. Nothing hooked to water pipe, no ground rod.

Im not getting shocked or any sensation. Maybe I need 2 hands, one on a real ground.

Good stuff

With weird shit like this you can shut off a breaker at a time until it stops arcing (easier if you can get a voltmeter that can display whatever voltage that is so you don't have to keep moving it to see it. Then you know where it may be coming from.

Any electrical fixtures in that drop ceiling?