General Bitching and Moaning about your House/Apartment/Folks' Basement thread

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Don't forget the winters, they can be brutal if someone isn't accustomed to them. He says he doesn't care about the cold weather, but a temperate climate like New Jersey is nothing compared to the kind of prolonged misery that the Dakotas are more than willing to serve up on an annual basis. It's a completely different kind of cold.
Jersey is not temperate. Winter lows are usually between single digits and teens with windchills in the single to double digit negative and summer highs are usually 95 with 80-90% humidty making it feel like 110

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Jersey is not temperate. Winter lows are usually between single digits and teens with windchills in the single to double digit negative and summer highs are usually 95 with 80-90% humidty making it feel like 110
It’s temperate compared to that fucking wasteland

ysr50

Donator
Have you ever been to South Dakota in the middle of winter? It's a different kind of cold. I suppose after a while a person gets acclimated, but to assume that a New Jersey winter is just as uncomfortable is wrong.

THE FEZ MAN

Have you ever been to South Dakota in the middle of winter? It's a different kind of cold. I suppose after a while a person gets acclimated, but to assume that a New Jersey winter is just as uncomfortable is wrong.
Tattered thinks that a week or two is the same as two straight months of -15, where it’s so fucking cold it takes till July to dig a fucking hole because the ground hasn’t thawed

5skin

Don't listen to these naysayers, you'll love it. Lots of bikers cruising through for a month every year too.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
No but ive stayed with my dad for the entire month of December when he lived in buffalo. South dakota cant be any worse than buffalo. I didnt mind it. I dont mind frigid conditions as long as i got plenty of layers to put on

Last edited:

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
This why i dont mind winter because you can always add more layers and besides its hockey season

blazin

This is what I currently have

Friend of a friend who works HVAC full time for a company did this on the side. Charged me $2000, included all the ProPress fittings, valves, auto fill w/backflow, exhaust, gas lines and fittings, gas manifold, and electrical boxes/wire. I purchased boiler, hot water heater, zone controller, low water cutoff, both expansion tanks, and the spirovent.

It still has to be cleaned up a bit. We had a problem with the zone controller running the circulator pump so we are powering it up from within the furnace's controls for now. Wires need to be cleaned up, vent pipe needs to be cemented in.

I also am putting in a pH neutralizing system for the well water. It's naturally soft and has a pH of 5.9-6.0 and that's why this house has been repiped in cPVC. Doing a 1.5 cu ft Calcite tank. While I'm at it, I'll redo some of my well pumping in PEX since copper eats shit here.

Last edited:

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Looks great. But, that expansion tank really should be supported in some way.

blazin

Looks great. But, that expansion tank really should be supported in some way.
I believe that will be addressed in the clean-up session this week but I will ask him about it. Look behind the boiler, that's where the other expansion tank is. It's resting on a piece of ductwork. Some of the pipes are zip tied for support due to lack of time and he didnt have the proper support straps on-hand.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Plumbing inspector made me do it here, that's what made me notice it in the photo.

I bought a bracket that holds the tank and mounted it on the adjacent block wall then added additional piping to connect it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

THE FEZ MAN

I just paid $400 for a cord of dried split and stacked wood to shut my fucking mother up.

uggggggg I fucking HATE firewood , I hate dragging it out of the woods, I hate cutting it I hate splitting it, i hate stacking it I hate the smell of it, I hate the mice and bugs that come in it I hate chain saws wood splitters smashed fingers sore backs, the ashes the dirt and all the other absolute nonsense that goes along with it, other than in an emergency I see absolutely NO reason to burn firewood.
But “dad did it” yea, the man who’s only hobby was cutting wood to save $200 a year on heating oil

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
You are a fancy man who needs a pellet stove.

blazin

My heater is working good, temperature wise, but I'm noticing this faint, but annoying whistling noise coming from the exhaust portion of it. I don't think it could be classified as kettling, but my installer isn't quite sure what it is.

It seem to start when the boiler gets hot (~150ish) and when the boiler shuts down, the noise continues but fades out in about 3-5 seconds.

Pressure is about 20psi hot.

THE FEZ MAN

You are a fancy man who needs a pellet stove.

Well it’s funny you mention the pellet stove, she had one and I forced her to get rid of it and replace it with a propane one because she couldn’t lift the bags

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Yeah, that's the problem my parents have with it at this point. My brother-in-law goes over like once a week and brings in a pile of bags from the shed outside and sticks them in the adjacent closet.

Some areas have bulk pellet delivery. Just like ye olden days of coal, you have a big hopper in the basement and they drop a load of pellets in it. They also make pellet transport systems that are powered by a vacuum motor that will move pellets through PVC pipe from the delivery hopper to a smaller hopper at the location of your stove. Then you can load the stove with a scoop. There are plans online to make your own. If I didn't move, I probably would have done something like this at my old house. .

THE FEZ MAN

Yeah, that's the problem my parents have with it at this point. My brother-in-law goes over like once a week and brings in a pile of bags from the shed outside and sticks them in the adjacent closet.

Some areas have bulk pellet delivery. Just like ye olden days of coal, you have a big hopper in the basement and they drop a load of pellets in it. They also make pellet transport systems that are powered by a vacuum motor that will move pellets through PVC pipe from the delivery hopper to a smaller hopper at the location of your stove. Then you can load the stove with a scoop. There are plans online to make your own. If I didn't move, I probably would have done something like this at my old house. .
Lol, or, you reach over and pick up the remote control and press “on” and the gas log lights.. or GOD FUCKING FORBID allow the oil burner to light holy sweet baby jebuz you can’t use the oil burner ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!,!!,,,,!

but “that’s so expensive” no mom, not really because unlike you, my time is actually worth money, even if I’m sittin on my fat ass (which apparently is all I ever do) all of that nonsense to save $10 a day is just not worth it.
I’ve been having this fight with my parents since I was a kid, I honestly had a job by the time i was 15, and even then if I dared complain that “fetching wood” was a waste of time and energy or I had other obligations, I was told “go fetch wood” I got into a HuGE blow out with her when my dad died because I wasn’t stopping by every day and bringing wood in, because every day you have to bring in the exact amount of wood that is to be burnt, never more than two or three extra pieces OH GOD WERE GOING TO GET BUGS! , then in the spring, I was told “go to (insert home of one of her friends or clients, Mom was a cleaning lady) and get the wood” fuck that, I’m working two jobs, watching a kid, trying (futility I will add) to repair my own home, and now I have to go 10 miles way in the dark after working 10 hours to go cut up dead fall, drag it out, drag the brush oh, and you can’t drive into the yard and dad’s chainsaw is broken again....

Fuck firewood, the ONLY way it’s worth it is if you live in the middle of nowhere, have access to free wood, and child slave labor to process it.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
I just paid $400 for a cord of dried split and stacked wood to shut my fucking mother up.

uggggggg I fucking HATE firewood , I hate dragging it out of the woods, I hate cutting it I hate splitting it, i hate stacking it I hate the smell of it, I hate the mice and bugs that come in it I hate chain saws wood splitters smashed fingers sore backs, the ashes the dirt and all the other absolute nonsense that goes along with it, other than in an emergency I see absolutely NO reason to burn firewood.
But “dad did it” yea, the man who’s only hobby was cutting wood to save $200 a year on heating oil
I love all that stuff. Whenever I go out to my family's ranch, one of the first thing I do is fire up the saw and cut some firewood. I find it extremely relaxing. I love burning firewood, I love having to go out into a cold night to retrieve it, etc.

I also really enjoy mowing the lawn. Those are two things I miss since I moved into the city.

THE FEZ MAN

I love all that stuff. Whenever I go out to my family's ranch, one of the first thing I do is fire up the saw and cut some firewood. I find it extremely relaxing. I love burning firewood, I love having to go out into a cold night to retrieve it, etc.

I also really enjoy mowing the lawn. Those are two things I miss since I moved into the city.
Spend every second of your spare time when you a kid doing it, and getting yelled at the entire time, then get berated for years because you won’t drop everything and Spend all your spare time as an adult doing It
Don’t get me wrong, I have a wood stove, but like I said, it’s for emergency’s, I used the shit out of it when we lost power last winter

Oh, and my fucking iPad is absolutely trying to make me look like a fucking retard

Last edited:

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
I miss having something like a fireplace... Good thing I have my pellet stove insert on a pallet in the garage. I am going to get a fireplace/chimney installed here someday so I can put it in. It does get cold enough here in the winter. We get some nights in the 20s, lots of nights in the 30s, a shit-ton of nights in the 40s and 50s. With my reduced cold tolerance, I have the heat on 74/75 now when it gets cold out. House feels too cold otherwise.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
My heater is working good, temperature wise, but I'm noticing this faint, but annoying whistling noise coming from the exhaust portion of it. I don't think it could be classified as kettling, but my installer isn't quite sure what it is.

It seem to start when the boiler gets hot (~150ish) and when the boiler shuts down, the noise continues but fades out in about 3-5 seconds.

Pressure is about 20psi hot.

If youre 20 psi hot than the noise youre hearing is likelu the emergency pressure release valve letting off the excess pressure as its like set for just under what your gauge reads when when its 20 over to keep things safe

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Lol, or, you reach over and pick up the remote control and press “on” and the gas log lights.. or GOD FUCKING FORBID allow the oil burner to light holy sweet baby jebuz you can’t use the oil burner ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!,!!,,,,!

but “that’s so expensive” no mom, not really because unlike you, my time is actually worth money, even if I’m sittin on my fat ass (which apparently is all I ever do) all of that nonsense to save $10 a day is just not worth it.
I’ve been having this fight with my parents since I was a kid, I honestly had a job by the time i was 15, and even then if I dared complain that “fetching wood” was a waste of time and energy or I had other obligations, I was told “go fetch wood” I got into a HuGE blow out with her when my dad died because I wasn’t stopping by every day and bringing wood in, because every day you have to bring in the exact amount of wood that is to be burnt, never more than two or three extra pieces OH GOD WERE GOING TO GET BUGS! , then in the spring, I was told “go to (insert home of one of her friends or clients, Mom was a cleaning lady) and get the wood” fuck that, I’m working two jobs, watching a kid, trying (futility I will add) to repair my own home, and now I have to go 10 miles way in the dark after working 10 hours to go cut up dead fall, drag it out, drag the brush oh, and you can’t drive into the yard and dad’s chainsaw is broken again....

Fuck firewood, the ONLY way it’s worth it is if you live in the middle of nowhere, have access to free wood, and child slave labor to process it.
Why didnt you stick a firewood rack right outside her door so she can bring however much wood she wants a single piece at a time like my mom did till my stepdad was able to get gas and he ditched that would fireplace so fucking fast itd of made your head spin (they have a fireplace because my mom has the body temp of a lizard but refuses to turn the thermostat up past 65 in the winter and will cut your throat if you attempted to turn the temp up because shes crying shes cold. Fuck a fireplace i would of got the bitch a space heater)

THE FEZ MAN

Why didnt you stick a firewood rack right outside her door so she can bring however much wood she wants a single piece at a time like my mom did till my stepdad was able to get gas and he ditched that would fireplace so fucking fast itd of made your head spin (they have a fireplace because my mom has the body temp of a lizard but refuses to turn the thermostat up past 65 in the winter and will cut your throat if you attempted to turn the temp up because shes crying shes cold. Fuck a fireplace i would of got the bitch a space heater)
Thevrack is 5feet from the front door

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Thevrack is 5feet from the front door
Oh.....i thought it was like at the perimeter of her property for her to need someone else to get it for her. She really couldnt bring in 2 logs 1 at a time to get the fire started then just repeat that after its gets going then as needed to keep it fed? That is not only pathetic but narcissistic and possibly sociopathic