General Bitching and Moaning about your House/Apartment/Folks' Basement thread

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Oh.....i thought it was like at the perimeter of her property for her to need someone else to get it for her. She really couldnt bring in 2 logs 1 at a time to get the fire started then just repeat that after its gets going then as needed to keep it fed? That is not only pathetic but narcissistic and possibly sociopathic
No shit

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
I would of did just like i did to my grandmother who did the same shit to feed her narcissism that she developed almost the moment my grandfather died "Do it yourself. Youre not a god damn helpless child. I am not leaving my job or dropping whatever im doing not matter how inane it is to drive 45 god damn minutes to change a single light bulb/open a jar/get a box out of the attic you havent thought about since my mom still lived with you/tell your leg looks like that because you havent used the pressure circulation boots the dr said you must use every damn day for 6 months/whatever attention seeking bullshit she would come up with" my answer was always the same "no. do it yourself. youre not 3"

THE FEZ MAN

I would of did just like i did to my grandmother who did the same shit to feed her narcissism that she developed almost the moment my grandfather died "Do it yourself. Youre not a god damn helpless child. I am not leaving my job or dropping whatever im doing not matter how inane it is to drive 45 god damn minutes to change a single light bulb/open a jar/get a box out of the attic you havent thought about since my mom still lived with you/tell your leg looks like that because you havent used the pressure circulation boots the dr said you must use every damn day for 6 months/whatever attention seeking bullshit she would come up with" my answer was always the same "no. do it yourself. youre not 3"
This “go fetch wood” has been going on for 40 years, before my dad got actually sick, he fell and broke his arm, the poor guy had an external fixation device and screws going into his arm and hand, the entire time his arm was broke she berated him for “being lazy” because when he was running the weed wacker one day he bumped the fixater and it was excruciating, so, he stopped running the weed wacker, this completely “ruined everything” because at the time along with cleaning houses my mother started cutting grass/light landscaping (it was a way for her to get more “free firewood”) she bitched nonstop about that, so, then she started to force him to “go scrub toilets” that resulted in him getting an infection at the screw points so they had to remove the fixater early, which caused even more issues because he then had to wear a brace and couldn’t use that hand at all.
Then when he got the cancer she did nothing but bitch because he couldn’t go to work at the post office because of all the drugs he was on.
And all the while I was getting shit for “not helping with the wood” or, the pellet stove, because you know I wasn’t working 10+ hours a day 6 days a week and taking care of my kid while my wife worked night shift...
Next time I’m buying a tank of oil

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
This “go fetch wood” has been going on for 40 years, before my dad got actually sick, he fell and broke his arm, the poor guy had an external fixation device and screws going into his arm and hand, the entire time his arm was broke she berated him for “being lazy” because when he was running the weed wacker one day he bumped the fixater and it was excruciating, so, he stopped running the weed wacker, this completely “ruined everything” because at the time along with cleaning houses my mother started cutting grass/light landscaping (it was a way for her to get more “free firewood”) she bitched nonstop about that, so, then she started to force him to “go scrub toilets” that resulted in him getting an infection at the screw points so they had to remove the fixater early, which caused even more issues because he then had to wear a brace and couldn’t use that hand at all.
Then when he got the cancer she did nothing but bitch because he couldn’t go to work at the post office because of all the drugs he was on.
And all the while I was getting shit for “not helping with the wood” or, the pellet stove, because you know I wasn’t working 10+ hours a day 6 days a week and taking care of my kid while my wife worked night shift...
Next time I’m buying a tank of oil
Nah fuck that tell that twat get it yourself or run the heat or freeze. Pick one i dont care which then live with said choice till you get off your ass and fetch your own fucking wood. This aint a cotton plantation in 1850 Alabama and I sure as fuck aint your house nígger. I got my own issues to deal with. Learn to carry a 5lbs piece of wood or die pussy

THE FEZ MAN

Nah fuck that tell that twat get it yourself or run the heat or freeze. Pick one i dont care which then live with said choice till you get off your ass and fetch your own fucking wood. This aint a cotton plantation in 1850 Alabama and I sure as fuck aint your house nígger. I got my own issues to deal with. Learn to carry a 5lbs piece of wood or die pussy
After the old man died she started the “you won’t stop and bring wood in” now I admit that that I did drive past every day, but, on most days I was in a race to get home (I worked till 6) so I could see my wife before she left for work, oh, and take care of my kid. The one day she was bitching about it I walked over and turned up the thermostat.... ohhhh Lordy Lordy you would have thought I burned a $100 bill in front of her. That’s when she started buying wood and having it dumped closer to the house.
Her issue is that I won’t actually “go get wood” like my dad used to do, he kept a chain saw in his truck, if he saw a tree on the ground on the side of the road he would jump out of the truck and cut up as much as he could.

“Free heat!”
Yea, after you buy the stove the stove pipe, install it, chain saws, wood splitters (oh forgot that, for years we split by hand) spend countless hours cutting and stacking, blaaaaa blaaaaa baaaaaa

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
After the old man died she started the “you won’t stop and bring wood in” now I admit that that I did drive past every day, but, on most days I was in a race to get home (I worked till 6) so I could see my wife before she left for work, oh, and take care of my kid. The one day she was bitching about it I walked over and turned up the thermostat.... ohhhh Lordy Lordy you would have thought I burned a $100 bill in front of her. That’s when she started buying wood and having it dumped closer to the house.
Her issue is that I won’t actually “go get wood” like my dad used to do, he kept a chain saw in his truck, if he saw a tree on the ground on the side of the road he would jump out of the truck and cut up as much as he could.

“Free heat!”
Yea, after you buy the stove the stove pipe, install it, chain saws, wood splitters (oh forgot that, for years we split by hand) spend countless hours cutting and stacking, blaaaaa blaaaaa baaaaaa
Yeah I had to do it too but my stepdad always had a log splitter once he put in the fireplace and if the wood needed to bw split he always had the shit delivered and dumped close to where it had to be stacked so ya just had to wheel the splitter over. Only 1 time did he ever send me out to fell trees for firewood (which i agree with @whiskeyguy its fun and relaxing) because A) his friends 100+ acre farm needed some trees felled and B) his constuction company was between jobs and had nothing for me to do at all for a week. so instead of me sitting around for week not getting paid his friend paid my rate at the time to do something his property needed done that he couldnt do himself because he was getting chemo at the time. He got the job done super cheap and i got a weeks pay plus $75 gas money (farm was 30mins each way and 1 way was hauling a 1 ton rated landscape trailer overloaded with about 1.5 tons of firewood pulled by an f150 with a 5.4 v8 so yeah truck chugged gas on the ride home drank damn near the whole $75 when gas was around $1.10 then and have a 34gal tank) to play with a chainsaw, fell some trees, delimb em, and cut em up into handleable logs, and stack said logs. Then once summer came i made drinking money spending Saturdays and Sundays splitting that wood for 8hrs. Took damn the whole summer at 16hrs a week to split it all. Didnt have to get wood for almost 5 years after that

blazin

If youre 20 psi hot than the noise youre hearing is likelu the emergency pressure release valve letting off the excess pressure as its like set for just under what your gauge reads when when its 20 over to keep things safe
relief valve doesnt kick in till 30psi. Just for a test, i turned the pressure down to about 15psi hot and still making noise.

my guy is here right now

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
All that said my stepdad would of just got a gas fireplace if gas was option at the time he remodeled and put in a fireplace (95/96). Their street just got gas 3 years ago and they have been there since '88

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
relief valve doesnt kick in till 30psi. Just for a test, i turned the pressure down to about 15psi hot and still making noise.

my guy is here right now
Oh i thought you meant you were 20psi over pressure when you said 20psi hot. I dont know what hotwater heater pressure should be it just made sense with what i thought you meant

THE FEZ MAN

Well just spent two days fixing my 100yr old staircase, I fucked up and didn’t take any photos of the broken step, but, the third step (the widest) finally cracked all the way through, thankfully it didn’t collapse when it broke it just cracked with the grain. I removed the tread and I glued up the crack then glued and screwed oak boards (glued and biscuits to make one board) going opposite the grain from underneath, then I built a bracket on the back riser to support it and made the front riser double thick, the second step was also pulling away from the riser, someone tried to repair it (poorly) I ripped out their repair and glued and screwed that back into the riser. I hope I don’t have to revisit any of this because I used a shit ton of construction adhesive and tight bond along with very expensive screws, thankfully my wife is in OCMD so the steps won’t see any use till Tuesday to give the glue time to fully set, I didn’t feel like going out to the garage for new finish nails and my nail set so I just put a few dabs of construction adhesive on one side of the trim that’s what the clamps are for.
It was a shockingly easy job, with out my wife home. The only thing I’m not too excited about is that the original crack didn’t line up perfectly (clamping issues) so you can feel it if you run your hand over it, the other is the nice brass screws I bought were too short so I ended up using 2” construction screws to tighten up the tread, they dont look “bad” they are “brass” colored, but torx head, to me they also don’t look “right” I counter sunk them so if I’m feeling ambitious (or my old lady bitches) I can fill them in with putty. I’m really not in the mood to refinish the entire staircase

Well just spent two days fixing my 100yr old staircase, I fucked up and didn’t take any photos of the broken step, but, the third step (the widest) finally cracked all the way through, thankfully it didn’t collapse when it broke it just cracked with the grain. I removed the tread and I glued up the crack then glued and screwed oak boards (glued and biscuits to make one board) going opposite the grain from underneath, then I built a bracket on the back riser to support it and made the front riser double thick, the second step was also pulling away from the riser, someone tried to repair it (poorly) I ripped out their repair and glued and screwed that back into the riser. I hope I don’t have to revisit any of this because I used a shit ton of construction adhesive and tight bond along with very expensive screws, thankfully my wife is in OCMD so the steps won’t see any use till Tuesday to give the glue time to fully set, I didn’t feel like going out to the garage for new finish nails and my nail set so I just put a few dabs of construction adhesive on one side of the trim that’s what the clamps are for.
It was a shockingly easy job, with out my wife home. The only thing I’m not too excited about is that the original crack didn’t line up perfectly (clamping issues) so you can feel it if you run your hand over it, the other is the nice brass screws I bought were too short so I ended up using 2” construction screws to tighten up the tread, they dont look “bad” they are “brass” colored, but torx head, to me they also don’t look “right” I counter sunk them so if I’m feeling ambitious (or my old lady bitches) I can fill them in with putty. I’m really not in the mood to refinish the entire staircase

I lived in an old house with similar wood stairs. A couple of them broke and had to be repaired. Used the same technique you did. Worked fine.

When I built the stairs in my house I used preformed stair treads and carpeted them so the cracking should never be a problem.

Old houses present unique repair challenges. Character and historical are synonyms for pain in the ass to maintain.

THE FEZ MAN

I lived in an old house with similar wood stairs. A couple of them broke and had to be repaired. Used the same technique you did. Worked fine.

When I built the stairs in my house I used preformed stair treads and carpeted them so the cracking should never be a problem.

Old houses present unique repair challenges. Character and historical are synonyms for pain in the ass to maintain.
We have considered having a runner made to carpet them but the rise and run screwy and we are afraid that it will make the steps too “short”
Yea the “charm” and “uniqueness” absolutely = pain in the ass, I need to start re-glazing the steel casement widows, I can’t even get anyone to give me a price on that job, so I’m going to have to learn how to do it myself and pray I don’t break anymore of the glass panes, they are “single flow tin” ie old and wavy, and when you replace one with modern glass it sticks out like a sore thumb

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
We have considered having a runner made to carpet them but the rise and run screwy and we are afraid that it will make the steps too “short”
Yea the “charm” and “uniqueness” absolutely = pain in the ass, I need to start re-glazing the steel casement widows, I can’t even get anyone to give me a price on that job, so I’m going to have to learn how to do it myself and pray I don’t break anymore of the glass panes, they are “single flow tin” ie old and wavy, and when you replace one with modern glass it sticks out like a sore thumb
Glazing comes in a tube and you apply it with a caulk gun. To remove the old glazing tools to have on hand are a hammer, thin blade reg screw driver or a dull 1/8" chisel, and a razor knife. You want the chisel dull so it doesnt cut into your frames if you have to chip some glazing out. Most of it should cut out rather easy with a razor knife

THE FEZ MAN

Glazing comes in a tube and you apply it with a caulk gun. To remove the old glazing tools to have on hand are a hammer, thin blade reg screw driver or a dull 1/8" chisel, and a razor knife. You want the chisel dull so it doesnt cut into your frames if you have to chip some glazing out. Most of it should cut out rather easy with a razor knife
That shit is 100 years old and hard as a ******s head, I already did one window when I installed the stain glass panels, I bought the tube glazing compound for that job nut ended up using black silicone instead at the behest of my stain glass guy because it is way more flexible, I still have to mortar that one in, all the windows in the stone part of the house are mortared into place

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
That shit is 100 years old and hard as a ******s head, I already did one window when I installed the stain glass panels, I bought the tube glazing compound for that job nut ended up using black silicone instead at the behest of my stain glass guy because it is way more flexible, I still have to mortar that one in, all the windows in the stone part of the house are mortared into place
My house was built in 1920. My glazing is 100yrs old as well as the original windows are still it. Im telling you razor knife is the best tool. What do you think a tile guy uses to get out grout? Razor knife. Youll go thru a bunch of blades but it will do the best job and you wont break any glass. You only want to use a chisel or screw driver for the spots its hard to maneuver the knife in or super hard chunks. Trust me i have a diamond pattern to the glass in my windows and i reglazed 4 entire windows.

5skin

I've always used a heat gun or torch and a putty knife to remove glazing. And a can of glazing putty and a putty knife to reglaze after priming. Push the putty in tight with your fingers and draw it down with the putty knife. I've only done a few hundred over the past 30 years tho.

I've always used a heat gun or torch and a putty knife to remove glazing. And a can of glazing putty and a putty knife to reglaze after priming. Push the putty in tight with your fingers and draw it down with the putty knife. I've only done a few hundred over the past 30 years tho.
I learned glazing when I was about 10 and the barn windows needed attention. Here's a putty knife, glazing points, and putty - have a ball kid. What a pain in the ass.

White man problems

The negroes that live there after you won't give a shit :haha7:

THE FEZ MAN

White man problems

The negroes that live there after you won't give a shit :haha7:
No negros in upper providence sir, maybe Indians (dot) but I doubt it this house is too much maintenance for ethnics

blazin

Im in the process of installing an acid neutralizer on my well water supply. Its pretty acidic and already has rotted the copper out here.

Would have been nice if this was disclosed to me upon purchase, but the house has already been repiped in cPVC.

Except this beginning part from the well pressure tank.

I replaced all the tank tee components, they still are brass...but all new stuff here, and i bumped the pressure up from 30/50 to 40/60

Took me 3 tries because i had little leaks in the glue fittings (my fault) so I had to use the 45 fittings at 2AM so I could get the water back on.

This is where the neutralizer tank will connect, the UV sterilizer is right after

The tank i replaced....fucking old

The neutralizer WILL make my water harder, we'll see how much.

blazin

I'm getting some very slight leaking on all of the metal-cPVC connections

particularly this one

That end of the pipe is either 1" female or 3/4" male. I think Im going to just get a sharkbite 3/4" male adapter to cPVC

Ive been using Teflon tape on all my threaded connections. Thinking about combining it with some potable-safe pipe dope. Thoughts?

Everytime I get a leak I have to cut and add a coupling, which increases # of connections. I want to be done with this shit already.