General Bitching and Moaning about your House/Apartment/Folks' Basement thread

TomC

uppity neobarb
Friend of a friend who works HVAC full time for a company did this on the side. Charged me $2000, included all the ProPress fittings, valves, auto fill w/backflow, exhaust, gas lines and fittings, gas manifold, and electrical boxes/wire. I purchased boiler, hot water heater, zone controller, low water cutoff, both expansion tanks, and the spirovent.

It still has to be cleaned up a bit. We had a problem with the zone controller running the circulator pump so we are powering it up from within the furnace's controls for now. Wires need to be cleaned up, vent pipe needs to be cemented in.

I also am putting in a pH neutralizing system for the well water. It's naturally soft and has a pH of 5.9-6.0 and that's why this house has been repiped in cPVC. Doing a 1.5 cu ft Calcite tank. While I'm at it, I'll redo some of my well pumping in PEX since copper eats shit here.

Is that black iron pipe connected to the copper line a water line.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
I had Sharkbites on the well piping at my old house. When I had a tank leak and replaced the tank, I just cut the existing piping and pulled the tank/tee assembly out. I connected the tee to the new tank and used Sharkbites to reconnect it. Worked like a charm.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

blazin

Every connection between CPVC and metal leaked, so I just redid it all, again. Used all Sharkbites. Also used potable dope and teflon tape.

I also am a dumbass and had the inlet/outlet of the neutralizer head reversed. One way is for upflow, other is downflow

no leaks now

ysr50

Donator
Yep, old hard piped hotwater heaters can suck it now.
Just curious, are you guys required to strap down your water heaters and plumb the gas and water with flexible lines or is that just an earthquake country thing?

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
I have a fireplace wood insert that came with the house. I love and hate it at the same time. One day I'll start a fire with no problem. Next night I'll attempt to start one and the whole thing starts backfilling with smoke. I've had black smoke full the house several times and no fire. I can't figure out why it happens.

I have a fireplace wood insert that came with the house. I love and hate it at the same time. One day I'll start a fire with no problem. Next night I'll attempt to start one and the whole thing starts backfilling with smoke. I've had black smoke full the house several times and no fire. I can't figure out why it happens.

Flue

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Just curious, are you guys required to strap down your water heaters and plumb the gas and water with flexible lines or is that just an earthquake country thing?
No such regulations around here that I know of.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Never saw straps on a WH here in FL either.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Like maz said, flue.
If it’s at all windy you will get a “down draft” before you start a fire, open the door and stick your hand near the flue, or use a lighter to see if you feel a breeze, if you feel a breeze coming down the chimney you have a “down draft” the best/easiest way to stop that is to start a small fire with a rolled up news paper and shove it in the flue, the small fire will (hopefully) start the up draft, as soon as it starts going up, you can then start the main fire, part of the problem is that it takes the main fire just a little too long to create enough heat in the right place, and it blows the smoke into the room.
It doesn’t always work, but, it does work better than having your entire house filled with smoke.

I may hate wood, and wood stoves, but, I did use one for 20+ years, another “old trick” was to never let the fire completely go out, this is problematic with the new “epa” approved wood stoves that use a reburner because they don’t allow you to control the air enough to smother a fire to smolder for hours, at least I’ve never been able to get mine to do it like my mother’s old stove, we could light that in December an my father could keep it “burning” till April, mine will burn completely out within hours of lighting no matter what type of wood I put in.

ruckstande

I will keep trying. It's a 20+ year old stove. There is a tiny slot for the flu I can barely stick my hand in. Is it safe to just shove a wad of paper in there?
Like maz said, flue.
If it’s at all windy you will get a “down draft” before you start a fire, open the door and stick your hand near the flue, or use a lighter to see if you feel a breeze, if you feel a breeze coming down the chimney you have a “down draft” the best/easiest way to stop that is to start a small fire with a rolled up news paper and shove it in the flue, the small fire will (hopefully) start the up draft, as soon as it starts going up, you can then start the main fire, part of the problem is that it takes the main fire just a little too long to create enough heat in the right place, and it blows the smoke into the room.
It doesn’t always work, but, it does work better than having your entire house filled with smoke.

I may hate wood, and wood stoves, but, I did use one for 20+ years, another “old trick” was to never let the fire completely go out, this is problematic with the new “epa” approved wood stoves that use a reburner because they don’t allow you to control the air enough to smother a fire to smolder for hours, at least I’ve never been able to get mine to do it like my mother’s old stove, we could light that in December an my father could keep it “burning” till April, mine will burn completely out within hours of lighting no matter what type of wood I put in.

THE FEZ MAN

I will keep trying. It's a 20+ year old stove. There is a tiny slot for the flu I can barely stick my hand in. Is it safe to just shove a wad of paper in there?
Absolutely how much heat do you think the actual fire creates? Way more than a burning hunk of paper, also does it have a damper? That might be closed, but “back puffs” are usually caused by down draft issues, it will happen every once in a while anyway, it’s the nature of wood stoves

ruckstande

Not that, I didn't know if was safe to leave chunks of burnt paper up there because does it ever truly disappear if it isn't burning in the stove?
Absolutely how much heat do you think the actual fire creates? Way more than a burning hunk of paper, also does it have a damper? That might be closed, but “back puffs” are usually caused by down draft issues, it will happen every once in a while anyway, it’s the nature of wood stoves

THE FEZ MAN

Not that, I didn't know if was safe to leave chunks of burnt paper up there because does it ever truly disappear if it isn't burning in the stove?
It gets plenty hot to burn that shit to vapor once you start the regular fire, you don’t necessarily “shove” paper up the flue, google “down draft” or “stopping a down draft”

Anybody here have a tankless water heater, in electric (don't have gas plumbed to the heater location). The cons seem to be in things that I wont have as much of an issue with. They don't seem to be as practical for northern states due to a colder ground water. Also not practical for larger families or having an electrical panel that can accommodate the extra breakers. Looking at either a 24 (two 50 amp double pole) or 29 kilowatt (three 40 amp double pole) unit from Stiebel Eltron. Some of these tankless units cost little more than a conventional 50 gallon unit.

Was going to add a multistage water filter system all at once since I'll be cutting into the plumbing.

TomC

uppity neobarb
.[/QUOTE]
Anybody here have a tankless water heater, in electric (don't have gas plumbed to the heater location). The cons seem to be in things that I wont have as much of an issue with. They don't seem to be as practical for northern states due to a colder ground water. Also not practical for larger families or having an electrical panel that can accommodate the extra breakers. Looking at either a 24 (two 50 amp double pole) or 29 kilowatt (three 40 amp double pole) unit from Stiebel Eltron. Some of these tankless units cost little more than a conventional 50 gallon unit.

Was going to add a multistage water filter system all at once since I'll be cutting into the plumbing.
With my experience with on commercial tankless and guy I work with that has them at home I never want one. Much higher maintenance (ie-yearly flush and delime)and many more parts to break. Remember K.I.S.S.

With my experience with on commercial tankless and guy I work with that has them at home I never want one. Much higher maintenance (ie-yearly flush and delime)and many more parts to break. Remember K.I.S.S.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, maintenance is definitely a negative hence some of the reason for adding the water filtration which I'll be doing even if I go with a tank.

THE FEZ MAN

I hung up on a realitor today, shockingly the first one, she lead off with “I have an investor” that right there combined with her shitty accent put a sour taste in my mouth, then her “negotiations” consisted of her telling me that I want way too much for the property..... the house up the street from me, which was also a tear down just sold for $270k the 45 year old house right next door sold for asking price of $405. The one across the street sold for $375 three years ago when real-estate was low. Fuck you cunt, I know exactly what I have and I know exactly what it’s worth, I’m in no rush to sell it. I told her she was wasting my time and and have no interest in dealing with a realtor with dreams of making millions screwing over people flipping shit holes

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Realtors are bigger scumbags than lawyers. I lucked out when I moved down here, found an honest one to help me find a house.

THE FEZ MAN

Realtors are bigger scumbags than lawyers. I lucked out when I moved down here, found an honest one to help me find a house.
It’s like they think I’m stupid, I know exactly how much the property is worth, I know exactly how much the permits cost, I know exactly how much it will cost to put a new house on the property and.... I know exactly how much homes in my zip code on dead end streets go for, stop insulting me. Go find someone else to screw

blazin

Everything I buy is either damaged or defective.

I ordered a new refrigerator and dishwasher and it was delivered on Dec 1. The refrigerator was put into immediate service. The dishwasher, which I wasn't ready to install yet, went directly into the garage, still in its box/crate.

Opened tonight and it's smashed in the rear. Lowe's return policy for appliances is 30 day. We're at 37. I'm hoping any reasonable manager will make this exception for just a simple exchange, but you always gotta worry. I've spent over $7k at Lowes in the last 6 months, so Im hoping that will provide me some benefit.