General Bitching and Moaning about your House/Apartment/Folks' Basement thread

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Everything I buy is either damaged or defective.

I ordered a new refrigerator and dishwasher and it was delivered on Dec 1. The refrigerator was put into immediate service. The dishwasher, which I wasn't ready to install yet, went directly into the garage, still in its box/crate.

Opened tonight and it's smashed in the rear. Lowe's return policy for appliances is 30 day. We're at 37. I'm hoping any reasonable manager will make this exception for just a simple exchange, but you always gotta worry. I've spent over $7k at Lowes in the last 6 months, so Im hoping that will provide me some benefit.
That blows, but, they might exchange it

blazin

That blows, but, they might exchange it
Jose, the manager, felt my plea and arranged for an exchange.

I inherited this fucking piece of shit LG washer/dryer when I bought the new house. The dryer doesnt give me problems, but the high efficiency washer does.

when you dont use it for a few days, the first load's water dump smells like literal shit. At first I thought it was my septic, but I believe now it's undrained water sitting in the unit for a few days that gets funky. It's a top loader, all the holding water issues I see are front loaders.

Not only that, right now I'm almost on 2 fucking hours for a standard load of laundry. T-shirts, boxer shorts, and 2 pairs of jeans. Sometimes this hunk of shit thinks the load is unbalanced, so it starts over, and over, and over.

Im ready to junk it and go buy a no-frills non-HE with an agitator for $399.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Do exactly what this says and it will clear it up.

https://www.lg.com/us/support/product-help/CT00000305-20150635948425-maintenance

I had an LG front-loader set that we bought brand new. It was the first-generation which I bought with wedding $$ back in '06. The washer was great, the dryer was a POS. It's my understanding they have improved. After the motor in the dryer died for the second time in 2015, we replaced the set. Gave the washer to my step-daughter and she used it for another two years.

Previous owner probably never ran the cleaning cycle. Ya gotta do it periodically with those machines. We do the same with our current Samsung front loaders. We bought the Samsungs used from a neighbor who was moving. They were only a year old but the washing machine had the problem you are having because it sat unused for a month while the previous owners were out-of-state securing their new house. I ran the cleaning cycle several times with bleach and it cleared up. After tha, I'd run a cleaning cycle once a week after all the laundry is done and leave the door open so the unit would dry out thoroughly. We've had no more stinky water smell since.

Last year, we stopped using bleach and started using these cleaning tablets and now only do the cleaning once per month. We've had no issues.

blazin

I just bought those same affresh tablets. Used them once so far, need to do more.

I thought only the front loaders smell, so mine being a top, thought maybe its something else.

but when I open the lid and shake the drum (before I do ANY laundry) I can hear water and i get a little bit of the smell, so I know its not my drain.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Ah, I thought it was a front-loader because it was a HE unit. FWIW, we had a non-HE top loader in the past that stunk like unwashed ass. I never figured out why.

One thing that probably helps, or maybe it's in my head, is that we do loads of laundry in this order - darks, lights, whites. Since we use bleach with the whites, which is the final load, I think that helps prevent funk buildup.

A trick that some people do is put vinegar in the bleach dispenser when they aren't washing whites. Apparently that prevents the smell.

ysr50

Donator
I had an appliance repair guy over last year to fix an issue with my dryer, we were talking and I suggested perhaps buying new appliances would be better than paying to repair an almost twenty year old refrigerator, washer or dryer. He said, in his opinion, it was a bad idea unless I was going to replace them with very high end consumer (basically nice looking industrial quality) units, all of the consumer shit is junk now according to him. I want to replace my fridge because the freezer door is starting to rust from the inside out but it still works perfectly, he said I'd regret it if I do even though there's no way to repair the one I have. I listened to him and have an ugly fridge that works just as good as new and a washer and dryer that only required that one trip. It sucks when the only good option is so expensive that you feel you can't justify it.

THE FEZ MAN

I had an appliance repair guy over last year to fix an issue with my dryer, we were talking and I suggested perhaps buying new appliances would be better than paying to repair an almost twenty year old refrigerator, washer or dryer. He said, in his opinion, it was a bad idea unless I was going to replace them with very high end consumer (basically nice looking industrial quality) units, all of the consumer shit is junk now according to him. I want to replace my fridge because the freezer door is starting to rust from the inside out but it still works perfectly, he said I'd regret it if I do even though there's no way to repair the one I have. I listened to him and have an ugly fridge that works just as good as new and a washer and dryer that only required that one trip. It sucks when the only good option is so expensive that you feel you can't justify it.
I probably posted it but I had a guy come over and look at the fridge in my old house, it was about 17 years old and it seemed to me that the thermostat was acting up he tells me that it’s junk and needs to be replaced, now I’m not a reiteration repair man but, I know when a thermostat is wonky. I spent $30 and ordered a new thermostat from sears. That was 4 years ago and it’s still working just fine

ysr50

Donator
I probably posted it but I had a guy come over and look at the fridge in my old house, it was about 17 years old and it seemed to me that the thermostat was acting up he tells me that it’s junk and needs to be replaced, now I’m not a reiteration repair man but, I know when a thermostat is wonky. I spent $30 and ordered a new thermostat from sears. That was 4 years ago and it’s still working just fine
I considered the fact that the repair guy was just trying to ensure possible future work, but I've heard so many bad things about the appliances that are sold now not lasting more than a couple years, and then when they break they aren't repairable, that I actually think he was being honest. He said most of the time he can't fix the new stuff, due to parts either being unavailable or more than the appliance is worth (or sometimes there is no access without destroying what you're trying to fix), and it has to be replaced.

THE FEZ MAN

I considered the fact that the repair guy was just trying to ensure possible future work, but I've heard so many bad things about the appliances that are sold now not lasting more than a couple years, and then when they break they aren't repairable, that I actually think he was being honest. He said most of the time he can't fix the new stuff, due to parts either being unavailable or more than the appliance is worth (or sometimes there is no access without destroying what you're trying to fix), and it has to be replaced.
I’ve gotten into that with a lot of things, nothing is designed to be “fixed” and getting parts is often more aggravating than its worth, I lucked out on the thermostat because it was easy to get to, I have two cheepo refrigerators that I’ve also replaced the thermostats on, both of them were foamed in so I had to “rig” them they work but it’s ghetto

ysr50

Donator
I was able to to fix my oven when my wife melted the control panel for about $60, but that required zero troubleshooting since the damage was obvious. I can work on stuff if I'm familiar with it, but it's easier to have an experienced repair guy rather than trying to troubleshoot a system I've never dealt with. Like I said, I think I was lucky I got an honest opinion from someone that deals with that shit everyday.

THE FEZ MAN

I was able to to fix my oven when my wife melted the control panel for about $60, but that required zero troubleshooting since the damage was obvious. I can work on stuff if I'm familiar with it, but it's easier to have an experienced repair guy rather than trying to troubleshoot a system I've never dealt with. Like I said, I think I was lucky I got an honest opinion from someone that deals with that shit everyday.
I had my ex wife call a repair man when the dryer “broke” stupid kid left a pencil in his clothes an it jammed up

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Just curious, are you guys required to strap down your water heaters and plumb the gas and water with flexible lines or is that just an earthquake country thing?
Not required to do either in nj

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
I have a fireplace wood insert that came with the house. I love and hate it at the same time. One day I'll start a fire with no problem. Next night I'll attempt to start one and the whole thing starts backfilling with smoke. I've had black smoke full the house several times and no fire. I can't figure out why it happens.
Get your chimney swept and flu cleaned and inspected

ysr50

Donator
I had my ex wife call a repair man when the dryer “broke” stupid kid left a pencil in his clothes an it jammed up
My dryer had stopped putting out any heat, gas dryer, and I was pretty sure it was a solenoid, relay or switch/thermostat. Which one? Where is it? How do I take this fucking thing apart without damaging it? I would never attempt to do bodywork and paint a car that I cared about and I absolutely hate pilots that carry tools in their flight bags. Just pay the man that does it for a living and life is easier.

ysr50

Donator
Not required to do either in nj
Water heaters and earthquakes dont always get along so we strap them down, broken gas lines cause lots of fires after an earthquake. I was required to put an earthquake gas valve that automatically shuts off the flow to my house if it gets jostled, it's been relatively trouble free, except for the time the gardener bumped his lawnmower into and it shut off. My water heater is mounted outside in a little tin enclosure that's also required, so when I woke up in the morning there was no hot water. I was not pleased and quickly figured out and remedied the situation. I actually took the afternoon off the next week so I could be assured that the gardener and I would have a face to face conversation regarding that valve and I haven't had a problem since.

THE FEZ MAN

My dryer had stopped putting out any heat, gas dryer, and I was pretty sure it was a solenoid, relay or switch/thermostat. Which one? Where is it? How do I take this fucking thing apart without damaging it? I would never attempt to do bodywork and paint a car that I cared about and I absolutely hate pilots that carry tools in their flight bags. Just pay the man that does it for a living and life is easier.
Oh the only reason I had her call was to shut her the fuck up, I was working two jobs at the time and didn’t have the time to fuck with it, I was actually quite embarrassed when she handed me the broken pencil

Our furnace crapped out on us. It only runs for about 5 minutes when it actually bothers to turn on at all. I'm sitting home waiting for a repairman to come look at it. On the plus side, it's a balmy 9 degrees out this morning so it's not like it's a bad day to be without heat.

Luckily we bought a space heater the other day to have in case we lost power from the winter storm. Between that and using g the oven and stove to make breakfast, we got the temperature to a tolerable level while we wait.

THE FEZ MAN

Our furnace crapped out on us. It only runs for about 5 minutes when it actually bothers to turn on at all. I'm sitting home waiting for a repairman to come look at it. On the plus side, it's a balmy 9 degrees out this morning so it's not like it's a bad day to be without heat.

Luckily we bought a space heater the other day to have in case we lost power from the winter storm. Between that and using g the oven and stove to make breakfast, we got the temperature to a tolerable level while we wait.
Oh that sucks, oil or gas? Because if it’s oil you might have a fuel issue, I fucking hate oil and when we redo the heating system I’m shit canning the oil burner and going with gas I don’t give a fuck if it’s more expensive

Oh that sucks, oil or gas? Because if it’s oil you might have a fuel issue, I fucking hate oil and when we redo the heating system I’m shit canning the oil burner and going with gas I don’t give a fuck if it’s more expensive
It's gas. There were actually 2 problems and one of them was because of a clog in the A/C keeping the air from flowing. The A/C unit still uses R22 freon and that's expensive shit now because it's banned after this year, so the fix would have been nearly half the cost of replacing the furnace and A/C at the same time. So, new furnace and A/C unit it is.

THE FEZ MAN

It's gas. There were actually 2 problems and one of them was because of a clog in the A/C keeping the air from flowing. The A/C unit still uses R22 freon and that's expensive shit now because it's banned after this year, so the fix would have been nearly half the cost of replacing the furnace and A/C at the same time. So, new furnace and A/C unit it is.
I got into that with my A/c unit the r22 to recharge a leaking system was more expensive than a new one

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
I just replaced both systems here in September. $8600 for the pair. which everyone tells me was a good deal. Hopefully I have another 12-15 years before I have to do that again.

THE FEZ MAN

My stove runs off of bottle propane, it’s one of those big 250lb cans, I’ve always wondered how long it would last, the answer? I’m thinking 5 years because I don’t ever remember getting it filled (I’ve lived here about 5 years) and it just ran the fuck out in the middle of me cooking my dinner

ysr50

Donator
My stove runs off of bottle propane, it’s one of those big 250lb cans, I’ve always wondered how long it would last, the answer? I’m thinking 5 years because I don’t ever remember getting it filled (I’ve lived here about 5 years) and it just ran the fuck out in the middle of me cooking my dinner
Before tonight have you ever thought about having a full spare? Poor planning leads to poor results.

THE FEZ MAN

Before tonight have you ever thought about having a full spare? Poor planning leads to poor results.
It’s a big motherfucker not a gas grill tank, honestly I didn’t even know the tank had a gauge on it till tonight. If it was a real “emergency” I could probably hook up a 20lb tank to it but I just lit the charcoal grill to cook my steak. We have three giant tanks in total two for the pool and one for the stove, when the time comes I’m getting one of those giant 500-1000lb tanks and having it buried in the yard and shit canning the “little” tanks, what I really want is street gas but I’m not sure I can get it here, I don’t need it just yet

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
I am holding out for gas service here. It's close, within a mile of my house. They just need to put the lines in and I'll sign up. Tankless water heaters, a pool heater, and gas cooking appliances will be forthcoming.