General Bitching and Moaning about your House/Apartment/Folks' Basement thread

I am holding out for gas service here. It's close, within a mile of my house. They just need to put the lines in and I'll sign up. Tankless water heaters, a pool heater, and gas cooking appliances will be forthcoming.
Aren't you in FL? Probably can get away with electric tankless if you've got the panel capacity. Here is the chart from the company I got mine from (Tempra 29 Plus).

Also regarding the range, always thought I wanted a gas range until I used and induction cooktop. Those things are bad ass, even a dopey $80 Chinese single element standalone units can outperform a high end gas range.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
I have zero interest in an electric tankless. With gas units, I'd still be able to have hot water when during a power outage when I have the house running off my generator.

TomC

uppity neobarb
It's gas. There were actually 2 problems and one of them was because of a clog in the A/C keeping the air from flowing. The A/C unit still uses R22 freon and that's expensive shit now because it's banned after this year, so the fix would have been nearly half the cost of replacing the furnace and A/C at the same time. So, new furnace and A/C unit it is.
good retro freon out R-422. Having good results even as a drop in on top of 22

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
I am holding out for gas service here. It's close, within a mile of my house. They just need to put the lines in and I'll sign up. Tankless water heaters, a pool heater, and gas cooking appliances will be forthcoming.
I know is within yards of my house, but I’m not sure exactly where it ends, I have to pick up the phone and actually call PECO because their map is incomplete

5skin

Cheap bastards.
I don't even want to talk about what it cost to have a three inch gas line ran four miles out the the dryers at the bins.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Cheap bastards.
I don't even want to talk about what it cost to have a three inch gas line ran four miles out the the dryers at the bins.
In my case it's not about being cheap. It's just not an option until the utility department decides our neighborhood is worthy of gas. Right now, it's available along the main road (has a county route number) which is less than a mile from my house. They've just gotta run it down the side streets. My street is the primary entrance/egress for my neighborhood, so I expect I'll have it available before other folks.

5skin

In my case it's not about being cheap. It's just not an option until the utility department decides our neighborhood is worthy of gas. Right now, it's available along the main road (has a county route number) which is less than a mile from my house. They've just gotta run it down the side streets. My street is the primary entrance/egress for my neighborhood, so I expect I'll have it available before other folks.
Oh it's an option, they would most definitely run it to your place if you'd pony up for the costs.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Oh it's an option, they would most definitely run it to your place if you'd pony up for the costs.
It's a different world down here. They aren't giving you service until they are good and ready. Inquiries have been made.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

5skin

It's a different world down here. They aren't giving you service until they are good and ready. Inquiries have been made.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I was told it couldn't be done because there were no other potential customers along the way so it wouldn't benefit them. In pushing they finally said that it would be to expensive for a customer to cover the costs, so written requests were filed and estimate sent back ending in them pointing out it was to expensive again. The estimate was accepted and deposit sent. Shocked calls came and soon there were a big spools of orange gas line every half mile or so. Today they are very happy with the high consumption rate of those dryers.

THE FEZ MAN

The way gas got ran down our street was a back up generator for a shit pump, they put city sewers in and had to install the transfer pump installing the transfer pump required the generator, I really need to call Peco because my neighbor two doors up the street has gas, me and the guy next door have bottle gas, if the gas ends where he said it does (two doors up) I might approach him with splitting the cost to have it run further, he’s got 4 giant bottles that run his backup generator, and a gas log/stove

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
Figured I'd just post here instead of creating a new thread....

Anyone run landscaping lights? I want put in some wired path lighting this spring and ditch the shitty solar powered ones.

5skin

Anyone run landscaping lights? I want put in some wired path lighting this spring and ditch the shitty solar powered ones.
Straight spade and cut your line in a few inches deep and lay the wire in placing lights as you go. No need to go deeper for low voltage.

Falldog

Donator
Didn't think I had to go too deep which is good because there's all kinds of shit buried out there. Might still call 411 or whatever the dig safety service is just in case.

Was looking at Volt brand it looks like you just splice lights in to the underground wire without giving a shit about hot or common on the line.

THE FEZ MAN

Didn't think I had to go too deep which is good because there's all kinds of shit buried out there. Might still call 411 or whatever the dig safety service is just in case.

Was looking at Volt brand it looks like you just splice lights in to the underground wire without giving a shit about hot or common on the line.
Just stuff them theground you worry wort

ysr50

Donator

Ask @Creasy Bear , he used to do that shit for a living.

Not much to it, just make sure whatever source powers your lights has enough capacity for the number of devices you will be powering. Plan on a bigger source if you have an excessive wire run.

Should be well clear of gas and power but phone and cable installs which should be 12" or better may be shallower.

As to the wire polarity that is what is great about AC current, particularly on the low voltage side of the landscape lighting transformer.

Falldog

Donator
Not much to it, just make sure whatever source powers your lights has enough capacity for the number of devices you will be powering. Plan on a bigger source if you have an excessive wire run.

Should be well clear of gas and power but phone and cable installs which should be 12" or better may be shallower.

As to the wire polarity that is what is great about AC current, particularly on the low voltage side of the landscape lighting transformer.
So it doesn't matter what polarity I connect to? Sweet.

Was going to be lazy and just put the wire under mulch in the areas where there's random wires running into the house.

blazin

I get a lot of deer action in this new house.... Each morning I check the cameras never know what Im gonna see.... They did eat my christmas lights tho

THE FEZ MAN

I get a lot of deer action in this new house.... Each morning I check the cameras never know what Im gonna see.... They did eat my christmas lights tho

That gets old when the dog starts rolling in the massive piles of shit they leave

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator

My wife bought like a bushel of tulip bulbs once, and I busted my ass planting them all, and they all came up in the spring, and they blossomed, and they looked fantastic for an entire day. That night, the deer rats came and bit the heads off every single fucking one of them.

Deer are assholes.

blazin

My wife bought like a bushel of tulip bulbs once, and I busted my ass planting them all, and they all came up in the spring, and they blossomed, and they looked fantastic for an entire day. That night, the deer rats came and bit the heads off every single fucking one of them.

Deer are assholes.
I agree, they are assholes. Them on my lawn doesnt really bother me, but I hit one with my truck last summer.

There's a stupid stray cat living under my deck in the backyard. I hope the deer and cat meet one night. Hate cats more than deer, for sure.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
That stray cat could have been a pet left behind by the previous owners. Happens all the time.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Well im free of the tax albatross that was my house. Got exactly what i asked and settlement is in 2 weeks