General Bitching and Moaning about your House/Apartment/Folks' Basement thread

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
Double sigh. It's a two sink vanity, one we use the other not really. I took apart the one we don't use to see what pieces I need to pickup and maybe swap them between faucets for the time being. As predicted the cutoff valves for the main sink didn't work, but the second one was okay. I was too lazy to shut off the main today so I left things overnight until I could pick up the parts tonight. This morning wake up to find water all over the cabinet and floor because one of the other shutoffs started leaking.

Double sigh. It's a two sink vanity, one we use the other not really. I took apart the one we don't use to see what pieces I need to pickup and maybe swap them between faucets for the time being. As predicted the cutoff valves for the main sink didn't work, but the second one was okay. I was too lazy to shut off the main today so I left things overnight until I could pick up the parts tonight. This morning wake up to find water all over the cabinet and floor because one of the other shutoffs started leaking.
Probably just need to tighten the packing nut.

Look into PEX and Sharkbite fittings if needs replacing.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
I had to replace about six shutoff valves in my house when I bought it. This was 2012 and it was built in 1985.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
I am finishing up the install of a tankless water heater

I started it in December I think

I have a currently working tank style that is old (knock on my head)

the problem is the new one is going outside the same wall the old one is against so until I am totally committed to doing it, I can't do the final plumbing. I have most of the outside stuff done for the water and power, gas has to wait until I see where it is coming out the wall

doing all the water in copper as that is what is there now.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
Probably just need to tighten the packing nut.

Look into PEX and Sharkbite fittings if needs replacing.
I had to replace about six shutoff valves in my house when I bought it. This was 2012 and it was built in 1985.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Nah, all the shutoff valves are just shit. Pretty sure everyone leaks when they're off.

Replace the main house and two outdoor shutoffs with quarter turn. Need to do the rest but I'm lazy.

Oh, and I have a nice water stain on my kitchen ceiling from the leak now.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
water heater is done and with no real leaks

the blow off valve is dripping so slightly where it goes into the valving system on the bottom

those valves are the only place I used teflon tape, all others are pipe dope

and none of them leaked or did any of my sweat joints or galvanized gas line

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
Never seen one of those outside.
they have both inside and outside models

outside is way easier since you don't have to mess with the vent

with the instructions that came with it, half is all about the venting, the other half is water and gas hook up and trouble shooting.

it needs fresh air from the outside and exhaust to outside, all done through their proprietary system that I have no idea how expensive it is.

they have both inside and outside models

outside is way easier since you don't have to mess with the vent

with the instructions that came with it, half is all about the venting, the other half is water and gas hook up and trouble shooting.

it needs fresh air from the outside and exhaust to outside, all done through their proprietary system that I have no idea how expensive it is.
I put in an electric in at the beginning of the year, fucker takes x3 40 amp breakers. Luckily the heater and panel were close to each other, other than that the water was done in PEX. Added a whole house filter system at the same time.

Looks like you've got a flush kit installed, or at least that is what it looks like on the inlet side. Not sure how hard your tap water is.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
I put in an electric in at the beginning of the year, fucker takes x3 40 amp breakers. Luckily the heater and panel were close to each other, other than that the water was done in PEX. Added a whole house filter system at the same time.

Looks like you've got a flush kit installed, or at least that is what it looks like on the inlet side. Not sure how hard your tap water is.
yeah, this model came with the flush kit but i would have put one in anyway. I also have a scale eliminator type filter on the cold water side, the water here is not only hard but also has yummy arsenic and other fun stuff so at least the scale is lessened.

That is another big disadvantage of the electrical models, if you don't have at least 200 amp service, factor that into your install costs.

Haeder

South Dakota
yeah, this model came with the flush kit but i would have put one in anyway. I also have a scale eliminator type filter on the cold water side, the water here is not only hard but also has yummy arsenic and other fun stuff so at least the scale is lessened.

That is another big disadvantage of the electrical models, if you don't have at least 200 amp service, factor that into your install costs.
I almost went with an on demand electric water heater but my incoming water is too cold in the winter. It would have never gotten hot - just tepid.

5skin

I almost went with an on demand electric water heater but my incoming water is too cold in the winter. It would have never gotten hot - just tepid.
There's no benefit over a tank, none, zero, nada. A small one at you kitchen sink doesn't register as a cost increase, tankless is an initial and operating increase.

Sorry if you've bought into it.

Haeder

South Dakota
There's no benefit over a tank, none, zero, nada. A small one at you kitchen sink doesn't register as a cost increase, tankless is an initial and operating increase.

Sorry if you've bought into it.
Disagree.

The neverending supply of hot water that never ends would be a tremendous benefit. Especially in a house with six people.

Disagree.

The neverending supply of hot water that never ends would be a tremendous benefit. Especially in a house with six people.
That's why they should be referred to as "endless supply" rather than "on demand".

You do need the right circumstances for it to work for you. Ground water temp vs desired hot water temp, proper system capacity for the GPM you need, location of heater to faucets used most (delay). Hardness of water etc.....

With two people in just a few months (coldest months) I've already seen an energy savings. For the next 6 months the savings will be even better as it get hotter. It needs to be serviced more often that tanks (not that anybody does this on tank systems). Not the fairest comparison since the heater would have been closer to end of life vs a new tank heater. Took the anode out for shits and giggles and it was just a bare wire.

I got one more or less as a goof, found it would work in my situation and I could do some other changes to my utility closet because of it.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
I installed mine because I am only home 1-2 days a week and it is only me here. My tank heater was close to 30 years old and was inside the house, which if it sprung a leak, it would have flooded the house. I could have went electric as I have solar and it would be basically run for free but as posted above, the huge load on the infrastructure with the 3 X 40 amp breakers added to the system along with the wiring from the complete opposite end of the house would have been expensive. The cost was also similar to installing a new tank style also as in horrible Kalifornia the water heaters are special too, I think they have smog control on them or something, I would have had to bootleg one from out of state to keep the cost down

So far it works good, it is a little slower to get hot water to the kitchen but only because I don't have hot water sitting there waiting for me but I can live with that. Also this brand and probably all of them since we live in a nanny state and country, it was pre set to only go up to 120 degrees. I had to go online and discover the location of some DIP switches to increase the temp to 140.

I installed mine because I am only home 1-2 days a week and it is only me here. My tank heater was close to 30 years old and was inside the house, which if it sprung a leak, it would have flooded the house. I could have went electric as I have solar and it would be basically run for free but as posted above, the huge load on the infrastructure with the 3 X 40 amp breakers added to the system along with the wiring from the complete opposite end of the house would have been expensive. The cost was also similar to installing a new tank style also as in horrible Kalifornia the water heaters are special too, I think they have smog control on them or something, I would have had to bootleg one from out of state to keep the cost down

So far it works good, it is a little slower to get hot water to the kitchen but only because I don't have hot water sitting there waiting for me but I can live with that. Also this brand and probably all of them since we live in a nanny state and country, it was pre set to only go up to 120 degrees. I had to go online and discover the location of some DIP switches to increase the temp to 140.
I have a 50 gallon tank off of my boiler and I have yet to run out of hot water...

installed 7 LED flood lights on the east end of my house. I already have 4 on the west end. It will be lit up like Stalag13.

These are on photo cell switches and come on at dusk off at dawn and I have had the same bubs in them for almost 3 years, gotta love the LED flood lights.

I started what I thought would be a simple change if bathroom vent fans. I got one slightly bigger and quieter. Take out the old motor, simple. Mark the ceiling where I have to cut bigger, simple. Go in the attic to take the old housing out. Take out one arm support. Dont see any other.

Tried budging it. No give. Take a crow bar and try pry it to fund the screws. There are none. But found out why.

They put the lip to the old housing under the joist. So now its between the joist and the bathroom ceiling with I am sure a screw or 2 holding it.

What was, I thought, a simple Sunday task has now turned into a project. A project I didnt want or need.

Crisis averted.. Dremmel for the win.

Last edited:

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
I started what I thought would be a simple change if bathroom vent fans. I got one slightly bigger and quieter. Take out the old motor, simple. Mark the ceiling where I have to cut bigger, simple. Go in the attic to take the old housing out. Take out one arm support. Dont see any other.

Tried budging it. No give. Take a crow bar and try pry it to fund the screws. There are none. But found out why.

They put the lip to the old housing under the joist. So now its between the joist and the bathroom ceiling with I am sure a screw or 2 holding it.

What was, I thought, a simple Sunday task has now turned into a project. A project I didnt want or need.

Crisis averted.. Dremmel for the win.
Dremel and spackle make me a better finish carpenter

or however the saying goes.

Well the other problem was the mount for the joist was on the opposite side. So I gotta rig sumtin to hold the non joist side down. It's kind of flush but not to my liking.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dremel and spackle make me a better finish carpenter
Dremel/Rotozip has always been a favorite as well as the sawzall for getting shit done. But I am liking the oscillating tool more and more we picked up last year. If the blade is good that fucker will make quick and precise work easy.

Fired the AC up for the first time in this new house

hours go by the house isnt getting much cooler, airflow sucks

I opened the cover on the air handler, its all iced up

great! probably low refrigerant.... question is how long will a recharge last

system is from early 90s...perhaps time to replace?

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!

it is a big jump in energy savings to replace it and as long as your ducts are still good, it won't be too bad. do lots of shopping around, prices are all over with AC guys.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

If it’s an r22 system replace it