General games discussion

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
This stuff keeps ending up in the "what are you playing thread." I find that offputting, so it's time for this thread.

There are two games announced that are a little out of left field and have me intrigued.

The first is Darkborn. The basic concept is that you play the monster. Not a 100% unique idea, but the execution is different than anything I've seen.

The other game is Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey

From the youtube description:

Embark on the most incredible odyssey known to humankind: human evolution. Spanning from 10 million to 2 million years ago, begin your journey, “Before Us,” in Neogene period Africa. Explore a beautiful yet ruthless world from swinging through tree branches in the jungle to stalking prey across the golden savannah grasslands. Decide what attributes to learn and hone in order to pass down knowledge to future generations, from crafting tools to enhancing evasive tactics against predators. Just like real life, make sure to eat, drink, and sleep to stay alive and have the energy to face any danger that may come your way.

Grow your clan and find strength in numbers as you progress through critical evolutionary stages of human evolution. Your choices will write your clan’s story and determine if you can survive your evolution.

Key Features:

 Explore Ruthless Africa: Explore the never-before-experienced world of Neogene Africa starting 10 million years ago at the dawn of humankind. From the tops of tree canopies overlooking lush jungles to the golden grasslands of the savannah, traverse a beautiful yet unforgiving landscape. For every breath-taking view, beware of the weather, predators, and other dangers that threaten your survival.

 Expand Your Territory and Grow Your Clan: Increase your chances of survival by uniting new members of your species and giving birth to future generations. Control different clan members, form bonds to create families, and work together to intimidate predators during expeditions. Conquer fear as you explore unknown locations in order to expand your territory.

 Evolve Through Multiple Generations: See the physical and intellectual evolution of the first hominids as you explore, learn, and survive. Spanning from 10 million to 2 million years ago, play as one of the first hominids and evolve over the course of millions of years during key stages in human evolution. Make crucial discoveries and hone physical abilities that will be passed down to future generations such as Ardipithecus ramidus and Australopithecus.

 Choose How You Survive: Evolution was not written in stone. Your decisions shape how you will overcome obstacles, increase your species, and what knowledge will pass on to future generations. Focus on specific attributes or choose a more balanced approach to survival. Your clan’s ability to survive will be directly impacted by your choices, making each player’s experience unique.

BIV

I'd never buy this, but it made me laugh.

DR. Jimcy M.E.

Hi-C and Turkey
This stuff keeps ending up in the "what are you playing thread." I find that offputting, so it's time for this thread.

There are two games announced that are a little out of left field and have me intrigued.

The first is Darkborn. The basic concept is that you play the monster. Not a 100% unique idea, but the execution is different than anything I've seen.

The other game is Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey

From the youtube description:

Embark on the most incredible odyssey known to humankind: human evolution. Spanning from 10 million to 2 million years ago, begin your journey, “Before Us,” in Neogene period Africa. Explore a beautiful yet ruthless world from swinging through tree branches in the jungle to stalking prey across the golden savannah grasslands. Decide what attributes to learn and hone in order to pass down knowledge to future generations, from crafting tools to enhancing evasive tactics against predators. Just like real life, make sure to eat, drink, and sleep to stay alive and have the energy to face any danger that may come your way.

Grow your clan and find strength in numbers as you progress through critical evolutionary stages of human evolution. Your choices will write your clan’s story and determine if you can survive your evolution.

Key Features:

 Explore Ruthless Africa: Explore the never-before-experienced world of Neogene Africa starting 10 million years ago at the dawn of humankind. From the tops of tree canopies overlooking lush jungles to the golden grasslands of the savannah, traverse a beautiful yet unforgiving landscape. For every breath-taking view, beware of the weather, predators, and other dangers that threaten your survival.

 Expand Your Territory and Grow Your Clan: Increase your chances of survival by uniting new members of your species and giving birth to future generations. Control different clan members, form bonds to create families, and work together to intimidate predators during expeditions. Conquer fear as you explore unknown locations in order to expand your territory.

 Evolve Through Multiple Generations: See the physical and intellectual evolution of the first hominids as you explore, learn, and survive. Spanning from 10 million to 2 million years ago, play as one of the first hominids and evolve over the course of millions of years during key stages in human evolution. Make crucial discoveries and hone physical abilities that will be passed down to future generations such as Ardipithecus ramidus and Australopithecus.

 Choose How You Survive: Evolution was not written in stone. Your decisions shape how you will overcome obstacles, increase your species, and what knowledge will pass on to future generations. Focus on specific attributes or choose a more balanced approach to survival. Your clan’s ability to survive will be directly impacted by your choices, making each player’s experience unique.

Darkborn certainly made a lot of progress compared to the last time I saw it.

BIV

Destiny 3 has been leaked, but pretty much all we know is that they are going to go "balls out" on RPG elements and concentrate more on endgame.

It'll be interesting to see what they do when they are not burdened by Activision.

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
Been watching a lot of Sekiro gameplay. Looks amazing though I haven’t the patience for games like this or Souls/Bloodborne. That giant albino snake in the canyon is nuts.

BIV

Been watching a lot of Sekiro gameplay. Looks amazing though I haven’t the patience for games like this or Souls/Bloodborne. That giant albino snake in the canyon is nuts.
Apparently it's even giving souls/borne players fits. 90% of the time you are supposed to parry, which is totally different than their other games.

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
It's a difficult game, but it has substance unlike DS. A rare type of game.

BIV

Tease for Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

The full game announcement is Saturday at1:30 p.m. CDT

It's EA, so my expectations are tempered.

Of course, it's also Respawn which, for my money, is one of EA's best studios, if not the best. Same guys that made Titanfall 2 and APEX Legends.

BIV

So gay Samoan jedi then.
Huh?

I know nothing of APEX. I just know Titanfall 2 was the best FPS of 2017, despite getting buried by inferior games.

Last edited:

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
2 or 3 of the character in Apex are gay, because that's important to know in a game with ZERO story. Makes things a whole bunch hotter IMO.
Yeah they put a couple homo's in Overwatch too. Blizzard (*cough* Activision! *cough*) loves to virtue signal. Game has no single player mode. No 'lore' beyond comics and a handful of CGI Shorts. Zero reason to bring any characters sexual preference into the game. Fucking retarded.

Mags

A.K.A. Chad
Donator
There are two very interesting WWII German submarine games coming out on Steam at some point. UBOAT -single player “survival” simulator, and WOLFPACK -multiplayer with up to 5 players per sub and 4 subs per game.

Both look interesting and release in Early Access soon. I have mixed feelings about early access. You get in early but it’s way limited, and then you’re waiting around for up to a year or more for final release.

BIV

I guess Jason is a good journalist, but he has a girls voice and got pissy with Yong Yea. So I dislike him.
I don't know what a Yong Yea is.

Jason's voice lacks masculinity.

Pickle

Hollywood goes out and remakes or reboots a movie, it's a shame that game studios don't remake epic games, with the graphic technology now. They did for one of my favorites, in Outcast (which didn't need much) but it came with some bugs.
I know the cost is too high, for what they'll get in return but I'm sure there are a few that are replayable. I never played Doom but I've seen they kept going.

Just a gamers wish
They just did a pure remake of Spyro. Same gameplay with prettier graphics.

What are some other games that would work as pure remakes? Most popular franchises just become a series of sequels that expand on existing elements with each new installment.

BIV

They just did a pure remake of Spyro. Same gameplay with prettier graphics.

What are some other games that would work as pure remakes? Most popular franchises just become a series of sequels that expand on existing elements with each new installment.
Just did one of Resident Evil 2. Not my bag, but I hear it's excellent.

Just recently got one of Shadow of the Collosus as well.

BIV

No gameplay. :mad:

I guess they're fans of Cyberpunk 2077s trailer. They both started with train rides narrated by a young bald white dude living in a city covered with neon signs. Star Wars has a bug eyed black lady instead of an angry Mexican though.

Last edited: